Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,205,573 times

Advertisements

Once again, I must ask you all to respectfully disagree with each other. The opinions on this board are just that , opinions. There are some topics that apparently will not gender agreement. There is no need to become so hostile over something as innocuous as a choice of cat food. I would hope that this thread can remain open.
Thanks, nancy

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,463,951 times
Have posts been deleted? For a "touchy" subject, I think this one is rolling along fairly peacefully. ??

I'm not a fan of a dry food diet, no matter what the brand, because of what I have learned from my own vet, catinfo.org, AND horrible medical issues with my own 7 indoor only felines.

I'm normally a Wellness wet "pusher." For variety, I've recently added, CANIDAE® All Natural Holistic Cat Food - Grain Free Cat & Kitten canned formula ... if anyone is interested.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,811,618 times
I am the OP. I just had to say that sadly, Oscar has started puking again. He went so long not doing so after I gave him Wellness dry and I thought I finally had our problem stopped. So now I will try Wellness wet to see how that does. Maybe he's just a natural born puker but does he have to do it in the middle of the night and in the only room with carpet?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 PM

20 posts, read 26,563 times
Yep...never on the easy to clean tile. I just tried my own homemade chicken recipe for our 17 year old Mr. Tom and he loves it...and it loves him digestily. Simple and nutrious: One boiled whole chicken (skin, bone and cartilage removed), half ground through a meat grinder and half chopped, mixed with broth from boiling and put in jars until cooled to be refrigerated or frozen.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,631,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I am the OP. I just had to say that sadly, Oscar has started puking again. He went so long not doing so after I gave him Wellness dry and I thought I finally had our problem stopped. So now I will try Wellness wet to see how that does. Maybe he's just a natural born puker but does he have to do it in the middle of the night and in the only room with carpet?
Kudzu, has anyone suggested feeding your cat in smaller portions, throughout the day? It's beginning to be evident that your cat has an extremely sensitive stomach. Could this be the way your cat is telling you that what you are feeding him is just not for him?

What a frustrating position to be put in. There have been times when one of my cats had an upset tummy, and if bad enough, I would go to the grocery store and buy organic chicken baby food, pureed, to feed him until the symptoms passed. Yet, in your case, this seems to be an ongoing issue. Hmmmm.......

(((HUGS))) I really hope you can figure out why your cat is not tolerating the food you are giving him. If you were within living distance, I would be running over with a small container with my homemade raw diet for your cat to try.......in all seriousness, have you considered that option?

I will think about this all day long while I go throughout my day, and I hope maybe a workable solution will come to me........poor baby........

(Has your cat had any blood draws lately to rule out a dis-ease process that might be going on?)......forgive me if you have given this information already and I just missed it!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,684,039 times
Cats know that there are far bigger predators out there than they are, and I suspect they air for carpet when they hurl because part of their walnut-sized brain has the idea that it will be easier to bury the puke on the carpet than a solid surface, thus making it harder for large predators to know they're out there.

Five is now at about a week hork-free, which is a pretty good run for him. Except for the puking issues, he's always been such a healthy cat.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:51 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,555,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Kudzu, has anyone suggested feeding your cat in smaller portions, throughout the day?
This is a good idea, I wish I'd thought of it! When my guys were on dry food back in the days before I switched them to canned, they would gorge on it and often puke...some cats just don't know when to stop, when they've had enough. They whined a lot at first because they were used to always having the dry food available to "graze" on, but now they're used to the routine and I can also be sure they won't ever get overweight. The only pukes going on around here now are hairballs, and those have become a rarity as well since I started combing them often and using virgin coconut oil on their coats. Wellness canned is very good food, mine love the chicken, turkey, and turkey/salmon flavors best...good luck, and I sincerely hope these food toils will be a thing of the past for you soon!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:02 PM

17,641 posts, read 15,329,825 times
I always feed my cat 2 tbsps at a time. I do this mostly because she's so finicky that I don't want to waste more wet food than I have to, but it has the side benefit of portion control and a more spaced out eating schedule. Sometimes she eats it right up. Other times...she's not in the mood and it sits. It bugs me to have to throw out untouched (but dried-out) canned food, so now I dole it out just a little at a time.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 PM

380 posts, read 827,862 times
OP,

Click on this (very cute) picture http://dingo.care2.com/pictures/c2c/...164171_370.jpg

You may see that your answer is right there.

Also, think about it for just a second... if you vomited a lot, what's the first thing you think of? The verry first thing? What's the very first thing your doctor would ask you?

Sure, some things make us vomit here & there (I know to watch the cocktail intake at parties for just one example), but could you imagine vomiting being an ongoing thing?

Again, what's the first thing you'd think of? (Click picture, figured out how to get it on here :>)
Attached Thumbnails
talked out of wet food-2164171_370.jpg  

Last edited by Pamina333; 11-24-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 PM

17,641 posts, read 15,329,825 times
Quote:
if you vomited a lot, what's the first thing you think of?
If it were an every day thing?

Bulimia.

Sorry....you asked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats