Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Langley has a white face with pink nose and it get yucky black "boogers" on the sides. I get a kleenex and clean it for him. I've had other light colored cats and don't remember if I ever had to clean their noses at all.

I can't figure out how his nose gets so dirty. He is purely inside, eats dry food and has a brother who regularly grooms him.

Am I the only crazy lady who picks my cat's nose?
Add me to the list of nose pickers.

The problem is, that I only get one shot at it. After the first attempt if I am not successful, the cat is "outta here" and won't let me near them until I can prove that I have NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER of picking their nose.

Fortunately, they don't have this happen very often. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,409 times
No reason to explain to me... you can pick your cat's nose for whatever reason. (Teasing you!!)

On a serious note... This subject interested me enough that I asked my sister if her cats had boogers. (Some day I will get a life. lol) She said the same as you... they stick their faces so far into their wet food, that they get wet food "boogers." Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I just want to clarify that with Misty I wasn't wiping/picking boogers. She would stick her nose in the wet food when eating so I would wipe her nose after she was done. If I didn't wipe right after she ate the food would make crusties on her beautiful pink nose. This little problem only developed in the last few years of her life. She didn't like me messing with her nose but gradually came to tolerate it. Can't say I blame her too much.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Boulder Bengals - Colorado Cattery

http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forum...ic.php?t=10382
"Bengal Cat Nose Syndrome"....interesting...now I have the answer to Jasper's persistant boogey issue.

Last edited by jasper12; 10-28-2012 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-28-2012, 06:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
No...you're not the only crazy cat lady who picks their cat's noses. I've only had to do it for one, Misty, and she made her journey across the rainbow bridge yesterday. She ate wet food and I would clean her little pink nose every day. I couldn't skip one day or it would be dry and crusty. I can tell you she didn't like me messing with her nose at first but finally gave in to it.

Honestly, the things we do for our kitties. They have us trained so well.

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Misty crossing over yesterday. I hope she runs across Boobert - who crossed a week ago Wednesday - they will be good company for each other. My regards....and I hope you are doing well..

Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Here's another one for your list of "pickers"....and now grinnin' too!! I have/do have to pick crusties out of the nose holes of a few of our kids - and I thank God it's not all of them (we now have 22 cats after having lost two this year). I would say that mine is primarily our littlest guys - four little brothers who are always into something. It seems like it is dust/dirt from litter boxes mostly. I scoop, sweep, vacuum every day but they find stuff somewhere. Not only nose pickers - I have a couple of fatties who have to have their butts cleaned because they can't reach that far. So yes, there are LOTS of things I/we do for our fur children that normal sane people wouldn't dream of.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Here's another one for your list of "pickers"....and now grinnin' too!! I have/do have to pick crusties out of the nose holes of a few of our kids - and I thank God it's not all of them (we now have 22 cats after having lost two this year). I would say that mine is primarily our littlest guys - four little brothers who are always into something. It seems like it is dust/dirt from litter boxes mostly. I scoop, sweep, vacuum every day but they find stuff somewhere. Not only nose pickers - I have a couple of fatties who have to have their butts cleaned because they can't reach that far. So yes, there are LOTS of things I/we do for our fur children that normal sane people wouldn't dream of.
LOLOL! My Maxie kitty who had a pink nose got that stuff on the corners of his nose. It wasn't like snot but it was just black and kind of hard....

I don't notice it on Kitty Katty but he is all blackity black!

Our poor fat cats who can't wipe there butts!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 AM

I had a long hair cat, Maine Coon mix, he was always getting, "dingleberries". Nice. Why do we have these little creatures in our house? Ungrateful snot, I would wipe him up, and he would be all angry with ME!?

I finally decided to just have him groomed on a routine basis, especially as he got older.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
I'm a boogie picker as well LOL. Lexie is the worst of my crew and she does not mind mommy cleaning up her face at all. She sits in my lap and I'll look at her and say "La La (that's her nick name) let's make you beautiful" She just sits there and we get out the nose boogies, the eye boogies and I'll even pluck stray whiskers with the tweezers LOL"

Simon rarely gets nose boogies but he's a big eye crustie man. He hates it but we clean daily - I can't stand dirty faces.

Makari never has nose and rarely eye boogies. BUT as a long haired cat he gets delicate trimming with scissors in the fanny regularly to keep up good hygiene.

Grace is good all around - Thank goodness because she's a touch-me not!

Though I will add that since switching from clay litter to the Swheat scoop the nose boogies have gone WAY down

Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Interesting. I use pine cat litter. Jasper gets black crusty boogies on the side of each nostril. Once a day grooming is sufficient, and he purrs while being groomed and brushed.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
All these cats with constant eye or nose boogies...just doesn't seem normal to me. I'd want to know WHY they are getting them. I've had cats of my own for over 30 years and never have had anything like that, especially on a daily basis, with the exception of my herpes kitty, a cat with a blocked tear duct, and a cat with a cancer in her sinus cavity. They all had specific reasons for their issues. The rest of my cats have always had clean noses and eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats