U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:48 AM

1,629 posts, read 4,214,763 times

Advertisements

A lot of you that post here seem to always have good info and links to info concerning cat food. (Thus, my reason for this post.)

I don't see ANYTHING medically helpful or even close to being healthy in the ingredients list.

Top 10 ingredients:

1. Chicken Meal
2. Rice
3. Corn gluten meal
4. Ground corn
5. Chicken fat
6. Natural Flavors: What "natural flavor" exactly??
7. Wheat gluten
8. Powdered cellulose
9. Salt
10. Brewers dried yeast

Those of you that are more informed than I am, would you please supply me with info, explanations, links, etc. so that I may share with a friend a few facts about this "food?"

I do have info on several of the ingredients for my own use, but I know some of you keep MUCH better "records", with links and such as proof...example: Rice being a cheap filler, Powdered cellusose being suspect to include recycled cardboard and/or sawdust, etc.

I KNOW this can be a "touchy" subject, but I realllllly need the help. I'll save the Mods some work... PLEEEEEASE keep to the subject concerning the ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 AM

2,455 posts, read 5,251,700 times
Lola4, I don't have links for the ingredients, but I do have some personal experience with the exact product you are talking about. It is prescribed by a vet mainly for a FLUTD cat or a cat who has some sort of renal problems.

That being said, I can honestly say, yes, it maintained my cat and prevented him from having another blockage, BUT, and I will say this carefully. But, his "sparkle" wasn't there, and he just seemed to exist. I don't have a "technical" brain, but I knew I could do better then this. I too, looked at the ingredients and shuddered. CHICKEN FAT????? I was told by my vet that if I put my cat on a high fat diet, low protein diet, his crystals would not happen again. Sorry, that makes no sense to me what-so-ever.

The ingredients found in the SO Royal Canin Dietary Food yes will help prevent a blockage from recurring, but I went one step further to find a way to improve my cat's life and found another way.

I hope that others here, with the "technical" brain can posts links for you so that you can take this to your friend to show the facts. Maybe if this friend sees the facts, maybe step two can begin. And that step is discovering what diet would be best for her cat to live a quality life.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Lola4, I don't have links for the ingredients, but I do have some personal experience with the exact product you are talking about. It is prescribed by a vet mainly for a FLUTD cat or a cat who has some sort of renal problems.

That being said, I can honestly say, yes, it maintained my cat and prevented him from having another blockage, BUT, and I will say this carefully. But, his "sparkle" wasn't there, and he just seemed to exist. I don't have a "technical" brain, but I knew I could do better then this. I too, looked at the ingredients and shuddered. CHICKEN FAT????? I was told by my vet that if I put my cat on a high fat diet, low protein diet, his crystals would not happen again. Sorry, that makes no sense to me what-so-ever.

The ingredients found in the SO Royal Canin Dietary Food yes will help prevent a blockage from recurring, but I went one step further to find a way to improve my cat's life and found another way.

I hope that others here, with the "technical" brain can posts links for you so that you can take this to your friend to show the facts. Maybe if this friend sees the facts, maybe step two can begin. And that step is discovering what diet would be best for her cat to live a quality life.

Garden Of Eden, I was SO hoping you would be one that would reply.

I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. When our Leonard had urinary tract issues caused by free feeding dry, our vet suggested Wellness wet. I went home and did a lot of reading, from several sources, concerning feline nurtrition ... but I didn't save a lot of links and such since it was just for my personal use.

I never expected to be in the situation now of having to explain to someone that their Vet is prescribing fillers, sawdust, possible diseased deceased pets, etc. as a healthy pet food.

As most of you know, I LOVE this site: www.catinfo.org, but she doesn't address Royal Canin Urinary SO directly. Since the RC was recommended by her vet, my friend is going to require some hard solid facts.

PS Garden, I am assuming the only reason RC helped your kitty was because it was wet food?? The water content? I don't see anything in the ingredients that looks medically helpful?? (Not arguing... trying to understand.)

Last edited by Lola4; 11-22-2010 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: To add PS

Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Garden Of Eden, I was SO hoping you would be one that would reply.

I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. When our Leonard had urinary tract issues caused by free feeding dry, our vet suggested Wellness wet. I went home and did a lot of reading, from several sources, concerning feline nurtrition ... but I didn't save a lot of links and such since it was just for my personal use.

I never expected to be in the situation now of having to explain to someone that their Vet is prescribing fillers, sawdust, possible diseased deceased pets, etc. as a healthy pet food.

As most of you know, I LOVE this site: www.catinfo.org, but she doesn't address Royal Canin Urinary SO directly. Since the RC was recommended by her vet, my friend is going to require some hard solid facts.

PS Garden, I am assuming the only reason RC helped your kitty was because it was wet food?? The water content? I don't see anything in the ingredients that looks medically helpful?? (Not arguing... trying to understand.)

Actually, my vet recommended the dry SO food. Her reasoning. Get two birds with one stone, as in addressing tartar (which is false), and to address his FLUTD. She explained it to me as: a high fat diet will not allow stones to collect in his lower urinary tubes. Huh??? Oh, that is just wonderful, so I end up with an obese cat and will then have added problems......my personal thoughts only.

I am ONLY passing on to you what was said to me by a professional Veternarian. Nothing more.

I will DM one here who is link famous. Hopefully, you will get the info you need. Yes, the catinfo.org link is wonderful, and I was going to recommend it to you, but as you pointed out it does not anywhere talk specifically about the Canin food.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,972,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I was under the impression that these foods have lots of salt in them to make the cat drink more so stones don't develop. Sorry I can't help with links; after doing several google searches I'm really surprised that I can't find anything on this food specifically...

Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I was under the impression that these foods have lots of salt in them to make the cat drink more so stones don't develop. Sorry I can't help with links; after doing several google searches I'm really surprised that I can't find anything on this food specifically...
I forgot about that!

Pretty wacko plan... force a feline to drink water through the use of salt.

I totally understand that felines don't have a strong thirst drive...one of the reasons to feed wet, but to add salt? Wow.

I can find plenty on the Internet about this particular so-called food, but I can't find too much that contains TRUTHFUL statements.

RC "sings" praises about the different foods they manufacture and supply pretty pictures... giving the impression it is a decent food, but nothing factual about how or why their stinky ingredients list is medically helpful.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Hmmmmm.....Just makes one wonder........

Keeping everything crossed that someone comes through with specific links........

Old 11-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, my vet recommended the dry SO food. Her reasoning. Get two birds with one stone, as in addressing tartar (which is false), and to address his FLUTD. She explained it to me as: a high fat diet will not allow stones to collect in his lower urinary tubes. Huh??? Oh, that is just wonderful, so I end up with an obese cat and will then have added problems......my personal thoughts only.

I am ONLY passing on to you what was said to me by a professional Veternarian. Nothing more.

I will DM one here who is link famous. Hopefully, you will get the info you need. Yes, the catinfo.org link is wonderful, and I was going to recommend it to you, but as you pointed out it does not anywhere talk specifically about the Canin food.
Dry?! The only thing worse than wet RC food... is dry! I am soooo thankful my vet didn't think that way, our dear Leonard would be DEAD.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Hmmmmm.....Just makes one wonder........

Keeping everything crossed that someone comes through with specific links........
This forum had a LOT to do with me educating myself about feline nutrition. For that, I will ALWAYS be grateful. Our cat, Leonard, too.

My vet may have put the "bug in my ear," but this forum got me curious enough to reallllly dig deep.

It is here that I first found the link to catinfo.org.

Anyway...I can wait. My friend's cat isn't having any more major problems at the moment. I'm just collecting info/facts to show her exactly WHAT she is feeding her Tigger... not to mention the money she could be saving by feeding a decent food for a LOT less money.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,972,691 times
There are tons of resources explaning which ingredients in foods are harmful. That would be a start at least. I expected to find some info but I can't find anything negative about this type of royal canin. I was looking for the negatives on specific ingredients and got nothing.

A lot of information on this topic is so vague in terms of prevention. The sites I was looking at suggested prescription diets and even holistic websites talked a lot about causes, surgery, and immediate resolve and then there was a teeny blurb about home care/prevention. It seems illogical to me; if this is such a problem why is prevention not a big focus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats