U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-27-2010, 08:56 PM

19,274 posts, read 12,260,112 times
Default How to recover cat scratching posts

We have some very expensive sturdy posts for our two 17 lb ragdolls. They are carpet covered with some rope in areas.They need to be recovered/repaired.

Should I remove all the old carpet and rope or only those areas well worn? Should I glue the rope areas.? Will a sturdy staple gun reattach carpet?
I'm afraid of a staple getting in a cat.

BTW both posts were purchased a cat shows where I have only found sturdy well made cat posts. The junk sold at pet smart or in big box retailer just won't hold up to two large cats so don't even bother with them. Cat shows are a must for any cat lover especially if you are looking for well made sturdy posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-27-2010, 10:34 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,412,908 times
The cheap ones use cheap lumber post and glued or phumatic nailed to the based. The carpet is cheap scraps wrapped without warming using spot mastic and maybe staples. They fall apart because the post and base can come apart and the carpet shreds where is was bent around the post and the backing mesh tears.

You can do the same thing to make a scratch post or play set. Just use good quality wood (cedar, redwood, or other excotic hardwoods) exterior wood glue and mechanical fastners like dowels or long screws, high quality carpet (you can get some top of the line cut offs from most good carpet stores at very low or no cost), Make sure the carpet has been heated enough that the backing mesh is soft and can bend without that stiffness that can break the mesh. Use a good dose of heavy duty hot melt glue so there are no edges without glue. Trim and seal all cut edges.

Unread 11-28-2010, 05:50 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,904,413 times
We have a few cat condos that were purchased at PetCo and online. I can't help you with replacing the carpet because I have never had to. None of our 7 cats scratch the carpeted areas. All poles are covered in rope. They scratch the heck out of those! I do replace the rope using a hot glue gun. I've tried a staple gun, but the wood and rope are too thick for the staples I have to go through both. Plus, I worry the cats could get the staples loose.

Unread 11-28-2010, 09:08 AM

8,205 posts, read 10,064,469 times
Every home should have a pneumatic brad nailer/stapler. The total investment for a small nailer/stapler with a compressor might be $110 and if you have ever had to do trim around a floor or ceiling or assemble a picture frame of attach carpet to a scratching post you will be glad you made the investment. I give an $69 air compressor to every niece and nephew as a house warming present for their first house or apartment and have for years. I've probably given 10 of them. And, with a $30 pneumatic ratchet and a socket set you can put a swing set together in an hour instead of a day.

Everyone should have one.

If you had one, the carpet thing would be a 5 minute task.

BTW, I do like the rope wrap. If you can get the hang of tying the rope at its ends (or stapling the end and then wrapping over it), they are really nice for the cat. Jack is used to the carpet things we make but when he was down at the cat shop he went nuts on the rope wrapped post.

Unread 11-28-2010, 10:05 AM

3,801 posts, read 7,642,390 times
My herd of nine loves their sisal scratching post and destroy it about three times a year requiring rewinding with new rope.

I found a big roll of sisal rope on eBay that we re-wrap it with.
Staples pull out, fence staples work sometimes, but I prefer to use nails.
I also nail the winding every few inches to make it more secure and durable.

If you buy sisal to rewind the post, make sure you get "raw" or "untreated" rope.
Industrial and commercial grade rope is chemically treated and oiled.
You don't want your cats playing with that.

Unread 11-28-2010, 11:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,904,413 times
I buy sisal rope at Home Depot. The package states that it is natural and untreated.

Unread 11-28-2010, 01:28 PM

19,274 posts, read 12,260,112 times
Thanks for lola and fat and other posters with suggestions. I will definitely not use stable gun and will look into wrapping with sisal again.

Unread 11-28-2010, 03:57 PM

54 posts, read 80,549 times
mine love the sisal rope too. whatever you do make sure its stable and doesn't wobble. also rough as possible. Bark is good if you don't mind peaces of trees in your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats