Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I know it's hard to stay "up" and keep faith in-tact in times like this...but you and Molly will get through this crisis and things will get easier...there may still be some ups and downs, but I have every faith in you!

Maybe you can get some kind of supplement to protect the liver and kidneys...I'm going to call my vet on Monday and see if he can (legally) sell me the Standard Process renal and hepatic supplements without seeing Molly, and if he can (and if you'd like) I will send them to you! I'll ask him if maybe he can talk to you on the phone as well, he's a holistic vet and a very warm, caring one at that...he stayed on the phone with me a very long time when my Humphrey was in crisis, and I had never even spent a dime in his clinic at that point...(sigh)...wish ALL vets were as cool as he is!
OH, LUV, would you??? I wish we had someone like this here!! I am so concerned that these strong meds will eventually effect Molly's liver and kidneys! She is such a "sensitive" feline. (tears)

(((HUGS)))

Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
She remains on Atenalol, Aspirin, and Potassium and a lot of good food and LOVE.

One day at a time.......
This is very important - good food and love. One vet I worked with saw the connection between dry food and cat health issues back in the early 1970s. It may have even been the late 60s. He remembered the days before cat kibble since he graduated from Cornell U. before kibble came out. He was the only vet I knew who encouraged people to feed canned food only. He feared raw foods due to possible bacterial and parasitical infestation. I remember my first cat (early 1950s) getting a canned food called Puss-N-Booths. It looked and smelled like some kind of fish. My mother also gave the cat evaporated milk and trimmings from the meat before she cooked it. It was rare to see an obese cat in those days and diabetes was even more rare. Sadly I'll add that most cats back then in NY were indoor-outdoor cats and didn't live long enough to suffer from old age ailments such as arthritis or kidney and heart failure. I think your Molly will do fine.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:37 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
......Nope......I give up.........Two Lasix pills a day....... This is just too hard and now I see my Molly having to take these strong medicines for long term, and I am so scared they will mess up her liver and kidneys.

My faith is low right now........

And I just read Nancy's thread and I am just balling........
Do not give up. Your vet will monitor her liver and kidney functions. If she doesn't offer to - ask her to do it.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Do not give up. Your vet will monitor her liver and kidney functions. If she doesn't offer to - ask her to do it.
HUGS, Kitty! Thank you! I wrote that post out of sheer exhaustion! I am of the belief to prevent things from happening before they do, and yes, my vet will be monitoring her by her chemistry values.

And Molly going back and forth to the vet is really bothering me, believe me. I am going to ask my vet if she would trust me to give Molly the sedative IM here at home, before hubs and I take her in, to minimize Molly's stress. I hope she says yes. At this point, I don't know why she wouldn't, for she knows my past history of working as an RN.

Molly>>>>>>Today is sleeping sleeping sleeping........ And she is eating more on her own. Vital signs are the best ever!

Mom has to sit down and write out a profile hopefully today about everything, and I mean everything, that I know about Molly. From that information, hubs and I go to work trying to figure out the foundational cause of her heart disease so that we can prescribe the correct homeopathy remedy(s).

We will do our very best to heal this precious angel. By the Grace of God, and the brains God gave us, we will give this our best shot!!!

See what a difference a day makes??? Yesterday despair and tears, today, again, HOPE!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Garden, when I read your posts about Whispers I learned you have such a huge, golden heart... your pets are lucky guys/gals.

All your pets are in my prayers, I hope it helps.
I know this is off topic, but this story about Whispers and Whiskers is so touching and I want you to hear it.

A year ago this past summer, a feral kitten showed up here, maybe all of 6 months, male of course. I began to feed him.

Winter came upon us and so I prepared the barn next door to us with blankets and such for this kitten, who asked me to call him Whiskers.

Last December, I saw who I thought was Whiskers on our front door sill. What in the world??? To be exact, the day was December the 12th. I didn't see much of him, but he ran when I tried to approach him, so I followed. I found him in our dog igloo and because again, of limited eye space, still thought it was Whiskers, but now I am thinking, OMG!!! he is so sick!!! I ran to get towels from the house (bitter cold day!) to carry him over to the barn.

At the time, I thought, oh oh, my house is full. No vacancy!!!

I carried this tiny kitten to the barn, and when I pulled back the towels I stood there shocked! For there in front of me stood Whiskers (?) emaciated, shaking, frozen barely alive! HUH??? Then, there was a noise in the rafters, and I looked up, getting my second shock! Whiskers was standing on one of the rafters, so who is in front of me who looks EXACTLY like Whiskers except for being close to death???

I didn't waste any more time. I ran back to our home, got food, and ran back with it. This kitten was so starving, he literally threw himself in the bowl of food with the last bit of his strength and couldn't move. He lay sprawled in the food, and gobbled as fast as he could. (of course later that night he threw all the food up!)

I began to ball my eyes out! OH OH OH! This poor baby I couldn't leave in the barn, for he wouldn't have made the night. He was nothing but bone! Yep! I scooped him up and brought him into the house, not having a clue where to put him. As I ran with him, I am desperately thinking how I am going to do this.... what, where, how, etc.......

Looooooooooooooooooooooong story short>>>>>He ended up in our mater bathroom, with the door closed, and that is where I nursed him back to health. I honestly didn't think he was going to make it that first night, and there was no way on earth I was going to subject a feral kitten, this sick to a vet hospital. Absolutely not! So, I took the responsibility and around the clock for months, brought him back to health.

That was last December through March. Zoom forward to today.

This kitten FYI wanted me to call him Whispers.

So, now we have Whiskers back here for food and shelter for the winter months, who is staying nights under our back stairs. (see Fed the White Stray thread to see pics of what we have done for a shelter)... Whispers, every single night, waits by the door (tears) for his brother, and when he sees him, gets so excited, begins to sing. He sings when he gets excited.

I moved one of our kitchen chairs right next to the glass on the door, and all night, every night, Whispers, lays on that chair and keeps his brother company. He gets the saddest look in his eyes sometimes as though he wants to smell and touch and be with his brother, but he knows that is not possible. Whispers is of a delicate nature, still very thin, and without any winter fur. He wouldn't make it outside at all. I just know.

I have never seen anything like this, never! These two cats look exactly alike, and they have the same type of personalities. They wanted very similar names.....Whispers and Whiskers. And the bond between these two is something that just clutches at my heart and does not let go. It was Whiskers who somehow brought his dying brother here to me, so that I could heal him. I still to this day don't know where they came from or how this little guy did what he did to get Whispers here.

I am ending this with questions. Is is possible that these two brothers came from ONE fertilized egg, as in identical twins?? Is that possible in cats??? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing??? These two are soul mates, identical to look at except now Whiskers is larger then Whispers due to the necessary padding for winter from all the food I feed him. And Whiskers has a bushier tail then Whispers. They look alike, they act alike, and the bond.........wow!!! Unbelievable!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 04:39 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
HUGS, Kitty! Thank you! I wrote that post out of sheer exhaustion! I am of the belief to prevent things from happening before they do, and yes, my vet will be monitoring her by her chemistry values.

And Molly going back and forth to the vet is really bothering me, believe me. I am going to ask my vet if she would trust me to give Molly the sedative IM here at home, before hubs and I take her in, to minimize Molly's stress. I hope she says yes. At this point, I don't know why she wouldn't, for she knows my past history of working as an RN.

Molly>>>>>>Today is sleeping sleeping sleeping........ And she is eating more on her own. Vital signs are the best ever!

Mom has to sit down and write out a profile hopefully today about everything, and I mean everything, that I know about Molly. From that information, hubs and I go to work trying to figure out the foundational cause of her heart disease so that we can prescribe the correct homeopathy remedy(s).

We will do our very best to heal this precious angel. By the Grace of God, and the brains God gave us, we will give this our best shot!!!

See what a difference a day makes??? Yesterday despair and tears, today, again, HOPE!!!
Garden, all I can add/say is you are one heckuva strong lady to deal w/ this roller coaster daily. I am still praying daily too, & no matter what we WILL see this thru for you two.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Along with a turn for the better on Molly's part has come a brand-new thread. That's where her "progress notes" will appear from this morning going forward.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...wholeness.html

Old 12-19-2010, 03:02 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
You are an amazing person. All your kittys love you ! And Molly and Whiskers and Whispers ( I read your story about the barn a moment ago ) Keep up the greeeeeeeaaat work !

Old 12-19-2010, 04:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
closed so GOE only has 1 thread to monitor.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats