Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

I used Revolution the last time because that's what the vet gave me. It seemed to cause 1 of the 2 cats a little distress/itch/burn? for a few minutes.

I have seen Frontline? Advantage? at Pet Smart.....

What do you guys use and where do you get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
I have used Advantage in the past, when I had foster kittens who brought fleas into the house. It didn't seem to have any negative effects on the cats, of course who knows, what the long term effects are. I still prefer that solution over other things, such as dips, powders etc. I purchased mine online, since the prices were a LOT better than Petsmart or Petco.

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
On the recommendation of a vet, I used Advantage - sparingly - on Weasie for a few years. Rarely did I ever see a flea on or near her. This is still true, although she hasn't worn any collars or been given any sort of preventative medication for a long long time.
The cautionary note I have to sound is: use Advantage or any similar product only as needed and as directed. It's powerful stuff. Weeze's vet told me some time ago that once something like this has been introduced to a cat's system over a period of time, the animal builds up an immunity of sorts and doesn't have to be given any more.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 AM

216 posts, read 829,823 times
It's the alcohol in Revolution or any other squeeze-on product that causes the distress for maybe 20-30 minutes.
Advantage "they say" is the mildest.
Advantage takes long to dry on the skin, and is more prone from my experience to be licked off if you don't manage to apply it correctly where it's supposed to go (my cats will NOT hold still like in the commercial).
Revolution is completely dry after a few minutes.
I have used Revolution these past two years, but only once in the fall, because it is also a dewormer and kills ticks (doesn't say so on the package, but fall is tick season here and I found a few dead ticks on my Bobby after applying Revolution).
I have two outdoor cats who hunt, so when it comes to all these products I use them as a strong medication when I feel it is needed.
Other than that I use a flea comb daily, depending on the weather fleas can get really bad around here, or almost dissappear when it gets really hot and no rain in the summer. I check for ticks daily, I read on numerous sources that it takes 12 hours for a virus to enter the cat's system once biten by a tick. I find ticks only in the fall, and that is also why I apply Revolution then.
I have experimented around with food grade DE, but that was a disaster.
Around here the fleas are immune to Frontline, hardly anyone still uses it.
It also kills ticks for one month and fleas for 3 months (according to the vets, says different on package).
Advantage will only kill fleas and from my experience lasts no longer than 3 weeks.
If I had indoor only cats I would use NOTHING but a flea comb if for some odd reason a flea found it's way on my cat's fur.
Just don't EVER use a flea collar or powder or bath, that's all chemical overload and can kill.
And also don't EVER use essential oils on cats, they can kill the cat even faster than chemical powder, they are often recommended for dogs and there are also flea collars with essential oils out there for cats I believe, but NO NO NO.
Here is a website that lists all flea products and their ingredients and how they are rated to be harmful to the cat:
http://www.simplesteps.org/greenpaws-products
If for some reason your cat is suddenly infested with fleas but normally not exposed to them (indoor only) a good solution (other than good old fashioned flea comb) is also IMO "capstar", they are little pills (really little and don't taste bitter, one can hide them easy in a treat or "pill pockets"), they will only kill adult fleas, not prevent a new infestation, they are considered mild and start working within the hour.
They are often the solution if you have a feral or semi-feral cat, that won't let you use a comb or let you come closer than a few feet, but if you have only one cat in the backyard you are feeding and can watch it eat, you can hide the pill in a treat and make sure he ate it.
I used that in the beginning every now and then when my cats were still feral and any touchy touchy was out of the question.
I feel you always have to decide what is best for every unique situation.
Not generally "everybody uses Advantage all the time so it must be the best".

Around the house I use a Dyson and a steam mop, period.

Last edited by ulrikeV; 12-02-2010 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 AM

216 posts, read 829,823 times
I also have to say that the myth "raw fed cats don't get fleas" is nothing but that, a MYTH.
They might handle fleas or other parasites better if they are healthier from the raw food than a kibble fed cat who shows health issues from the diet.
But not just me but other raw feeders I know feel that that is a myth probably brought up by a raw feeder who lives up in the mountains or deep in a hot, dry desert with his cats and dogs, not in an area where during flea season you feel tempted to apply some Revolution or other product on you own neck or like me wear socks and shoes when stepping in the grass and not step outside at all from 8 PM till midnight from May to September.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,239 times
IMO the best products for cats are revolution and advantage multi. Both of these protect against fleas, heartworm, ear mites, hookworms and roundworms. But you have to get them from a vet or online pharmacy like petmeds (they will verify with your vet) because the heartworm medicine they contain is considered prescription only. The advantage at Petco only protects against fleas and the frontline only protects against fleas and ticks.

If you have an infestation you can get the capstar pill, like ulrike said. It will kill all the fleas (only fleas) on the animal right away - in the first 30 minutes. BUT it only lasts for 24-48 hours so you have to start a monthly topical like advantage multi or revolution a day or so after giving the capstar. If your cat is infested with fleas please don't skip a month when you give the topicals. If you don't have an infestation, it's fine to skip a month or so. I don't use a flea preventitive in the winter either. But if there is an infestation, you must give the topical every month until you get rid of the fleas. And be sure to treat your house and lawn as well - not with foggers, but by actually calling an exterminator. Good luck!

Oh and also the revolution shouldn't actually burn or harm your cat. It probably just felt cold and strange when you put it on so kitty was probably trying to get back there to lick and investigate. Make sure you part the fur and actually apply it to the skin. Even if it gets on the fur it should go away within an hour or so, but it's not as effective that way.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
We use Revolution as well, but use it once in the spring, and then again only when we see evidence of critters, be they fleas, mites, etc.

We used to use it as prescribed, but patches of our male cat's fur has fallen out near the application area at least once this past summer. We might continue to give Revolution to our female cat -- who seems prone to ear mites -- and use Frontline or Advantage on the male.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:45 PM

54 posts, read 228,919 times
I keep my cats indoors. Also its december in northern MN. I live in the St paul area. Don't think I have to worry.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Has anyone used the pill Comforta?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats