Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 PM

387 posts, read 2,130,654 times

Advertisements

Oh no! I'm so sorry. You and Gracie will be in my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Gracie is almost 14 and had always been a healthy cat until two weeks ago. When I took her to the vet, he found she had diabetes. I was giving her insulin and that was not helping so I took her back and now she has an e-coli
infection which appears to be ravaging her whole little system She has lost 4 pounds in two weeks and can no longer even stand up.

She has begun a course of anti-biotics, but they do not sdeem to be helping.

I am hoping that your good wishes will help her so please do remember her in your prayers.

Thank you so much, nancy
What were her symptoms when you took her to the vet? What did he give her? If she didn't have any symptoms at the time of the vet visit, maybe she was misdiagnosed.

I'd take her to a DIFFERENT VET.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-17-2010, 03:18 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I had hope she would be better today. I have to wonder if it isn't something more than diabetes and e-coli. She went downhill so fast.

I know you are doing what is best for your beloved Gracie.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
She was resting comfortably and not moving last night . I did not think she would live through the night, but when I woke up, that dear little soul had dragged herself to my room where I found her this morning.

She is still sleeping. I have given her her medication, but I do not expect that she will wake up. SHe has not moved at all. I check on her every few minutes. This is just so hard , but when the vet suggested euthansia, I could not do it . It is such a scary place with loud barking dogs and those terrible metal tables.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-17-2010, 06:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I have had to take some pets to the vet to be put down. I always stay with them and hold them in a favorite blanket or towel. Very hard to do but I can't stand to see a beloved pet suffer. This way I know they go fast and are not alone.

I would hope somebody would do the same for me someday.

I'm sorry for your pain.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:32 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Do you have any vets in your area that make housecalls? That is what I would do if I had to have one of my kitties euthanized...
I am so sorry you have to go through this. It really hurts

forum rules, please read them

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Oh, (((HUGS))), Nancy. I am crying as I write these words. I can feel your heart breaking........God be with you and Gracie.........

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Nancy I am so sorry that Gracie and you are going through this. I understand how you feel about taking her in for euthanasia. It is loud and I hate those horrible metal tables too. You said she is comfortable and right now that is the most important thing. I'm keeping you both in my prayers and hoping for a miracle.

If the situation gets worse, are there any mobile vets in your area?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:10 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I am so sorry to hear this...it's such a devastating thing to see our babies suffer. When my Humphrey crossed the bridge 2 years ago, I couldn't bear to euthanize either, but looking back I wish I had just made that call and had someone come to us to set him free...I fought tooth and nail to keep him alive, it was my first furkid loss, and the thought of euthanizing seemed like "giving up on him" at the time. My heart breaks for you, I know how awful it feels...just always remember Gracie knows how much you love her. (((BIG HUGS))).

Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
So sorry for you both. Just as a note for reference, my vet places a well-worn quilt on the table (or floor for large dogs), to lay the pet somewhere comfortable for the last moments. I have held almost every "paw" at many a passing and it was always peaceful. They let you stay there as long as you like, before they take away your pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats