Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 10:42 PM

31 posts, read 121,762 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need some advice from those who own more than 1 cat. I am looking for a new place to rent and having a hard time finding the ones that will let me keep 5. Some places I found allow 2 the max, and some only allow 1. I don't have any money to buy a house right now, in 2 years I will. Any cat owner out there are renting and have more than 2 cats, what do you guys do to have the landlord agree to let your babies live with you? And no, I will not abandon my babies no matter what, even if I have to live on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:31 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,187 times
I live in large corporate-owned complexes and have never found one that would allow more than two pets in a unit. I typically advise other renters to never take in more than two pets total for this very reason. That doesn't help you at this point though.

I'd recommend that you concentrate on private landlords who have some flexibility in their requirements. Think house, not apartment. You might try offering a larger pet deposit. It can also help if you can get someone like a previous landlord to vouch for you and your cats.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats View Post
Hi, I need some advice from those who own more than 1 cat. I am looking for a new place to rent and having a hard time finding the ones that will let me keep 5. Some places I found allow 2 the max, and some only allow 1. I don't have any money to buy a house right now, in 2 years I will. Any cat owner out there are renting and have more than 2 cats, what do you guys do to have the landlord agree to let your babies live with you? And no, I will not abandon my babies no matter what, even if I have to live on the street.
It's getting this way where I live in middle TN. I was told it was to prevent hoaders from moving in and wrecking the apartments with a 100 cats or dogs, birds... whatever. Hoarders and irresponsible pet owners ruin it for everyone else. I would look for a privately owned place or look to rent an older home or even a newer clean mobile home. An aquaintence of mine in NYC found a place, a 6-family, that allowed as many pets as you wanted as long as no one in the building had complaints of noise and odors. You may want to contact Real Estate Agents who handle rentals in your area. See what they come up with.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
Look for a private rental rather than an apartment. Private landlords are much more open to multiple pets. I just rented a nice house and I have an 80 pound dog and 3 cats.

Start on Craigslist. Or just drive around an area you might like to live in and look for "for rent" signs. Not all landlords advertise.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:08 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,022 times
Would you accept advice from someone who had dogs?

Many LLs will not accept any pets at all, let alone several. I have been through this so I totally understand, and I applaud you for not leaving them. First things first: if a LL says "no" I do not insist; He/she provides a home and I provide the rent payment, so nobody is doing each other a favor.

I am sure you take great care of your cats as I take care of my dogs, so what I did when a former LL told me she would (maybe) consider them was:

I introduced them to her so that she would see they were not the kind that would tear down the apartment;

I took walks with them everyday, vacuumed everyday, etc. so that the apartment was immaculately clean;

I offered to show her my apartment so that she could see the place I was living at was well-kept, clean, odorless, etc and made it clear that she would be welcome to visit anytime.

I offered to pay a hefty pet deposit and told her I agreed it would be 100% nonrefundable if need be.

She accepted and I kept my beloved ones. When I left the apartment we actually became friends.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
try posting either in the Renting forum or your particular area.

I'm sorry but I'm a landlord as well as a pet owner and I have had too much damage from irresponsible pet owners. Fleas, ruined hardwood floors, but the worse is unattended pets (both cats and dogs) who mess up the living conditions for my other renters.

I have people rent and move in without pets, sign a no pet clause in the lease and then turn around and fuss at me cause I won't let them get a pet. I found out two renters like that had pets all along and just decided to do whatever they wanted. Kind of like "ask forgiveness rather than permission"

It breaks my heart to say no as i love animals and personally cannot live without pets but this (these rentals) is my living and I can't afford the damage even if I require a large pet deposit, if the other tenants threaten to move, I'm up the creek.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:09 PM

31 posts, read 121,762 times
The place I am living now (chicago) allows cats only, and it's $10/month/pet. I will definitely get a reference letter from my apartment manager before my lease expires. The place we're moving to is Roanoke, VA. I called some of the apartments posted on Craigslist, and they do allow 2 pets. I will look into private landlords. Thank you everyone...

no kudzu..
Will you let me rent out your place if I was like Miamiam?

Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 AM

216 posts, read 829,790 times
I'm positive in Roanoke, VA the situation is a whole lot different than Chicago!
Probably alot more houses to choose from instead of apartments, and for reasonable rent. And alot more private landlords, or just outside town in rural areas apartments or houses where landlords either don't care what kind and how many pets you bring along, or they go on a case by case basis.
Good luck!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Default rentals - pets and children

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm sorry but I'm a landlord as well as a pet owner and I have had too much damage from irresponsible pet owners. Fleas, ruined hardwood floors, but the worse is unattended pets (both cats and dogs) who mess up the living conditions for my other renters.
This is the problem both my mother and myself ran into with rental units. After one bad experience with pets (terrible tomcat odors that couldn't be removed for months) my mother refused to rent to pet owners. She finally sold the place. It was too much aggravation with renters.

When I rented out a place in the country on an acre of land I allowed outdoor pets only. A young couple with 2 children (mistake number 1) rented the place and quickly got a rabbit and several dogs, one unspayed (mistake number 2. I should have required pets to be spayed/neutered.) Being outside the pets didn't damage the place but their spoiled undisciplined children did (mistake number 3. Don't rent to people with small children). The children caused more damage both inside and outside than I thought possible. I asked them to move or I would evict them. When they moved they left behind their pets, just abandoned them like the trash they left behind, which I had to take to a local shelter. I had to pick up all the trash and haul it off myself. (Mistake number 4. Be there the day they move out if possible). Never again. If I ever rent out a place again, it will be to people without pets and children. An older couple. Seniors. The bad parents and pet owners ruin it for the good but what can a landlord do? I can see the issue from both sides and believe me I feel for the pet owners.

Oh, and watch those fish tanks. I had a friend rent an apt in NYC to someone and she allowed aquariums. The tank seal broke and 55 gallons of water did a few thousand dollars worth of damage to the apt below (1970s dollars). The tenant fled and she absorbed the cost of repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats