Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:00 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,889,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Dogs are supposed to stay on the floor?! Oops...
OK, OK... I'll fess up, one of my dogs slept at the foot of the bed for all of his 17 years on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 02:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,774,020 times
WHAT GOE?

2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar (you know the stuff we eat) diluted in a squirt bottle filled with water is neither harmfull or dangerous, for goodness sake the human nose cannot even smell it at that dilution, a cat however can...

i will say i was not clear and that you should never squirt a cat directly with anything, just towards them, (a wet kitty is worthless training, the idea is to startle) the idea of the vinegar is it IS perfectly safe (a cat could stick its head in a bottle of vinegar, hell hate the smell but it wont hurt him) but its a strong enough odor that it will get the cats attention quicker than plain water and they will move away from the smell.

and this is a method used by many trainers, dog and cat, as well as reccomended by many vets.

take a chill pill...i would NEVER do ANYTHING to harm an animal, i cant even swat at a fly for goodness sake. your not trying to drown the cat in vinegar...wow.

its also commonly used by homesteaders diluting vinegar in water and placing in little tubs around flower gardens to keep the cats from using them as litter boxes. (deer dont like it either)

side note: have you tried providing kitty with a safe high place she IS allowed to climb and scratch and perch on? you can pick up the smaller floor to ceiling scratching type post things...discouraging playing in the places you dont want and encoraging her to use her own places/toys (it towers) might help.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:09 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,629,275 times
Foxywench, I am sure you don't do anything to harm your cats. I just think you and a LOT of people have misconceptions about cats. Cats are extremely sensitive animals, and should be treated as such.

Putting vinegar in gardens is a whole different story then spraying a cat with a dilution of vinegar.

And I won't take a chill pill. I am voicing what I honestly believe is for the best interest of the feline, NOT the human being.

I don't understand humans much at all. I do understand felines, and I will continue to do more to my last breath.

And yes, I have a voice, and I will keep being the spokeswoman who represents the exquisite species known as felines.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,774,020 times
but inegar is perfeclty safe way of dissuading a cat to not go into an area, your not spraing the cat with it, your not soaking an area in it...

infact people have been using vinegar as a way of de-oderizing litterboxes and odors for as long as i can rememebr and its perfectly safe. id rather someone give a squirt of smelly water than resotrt to swatting a cat...and id rather someone try a squirtbottle with a little vinegar than dump their cat at a shelter or worse.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:06 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,629,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
but inegar is perfeclty safe way of dissuading a cat to not go into an area, your not spraing the cat with it, your not soaking an area in it...

infact people have been using vinegar as a way of de-oderizing litterboxes and odors for as long as i can rememebr and its perfectly safe. id rather someone give a squirt of smelly water than resotrt to swatting a cat...and id rather someone try a squirtbottle with a little vinegar than dump their cat at a shelter or worse.
Let us agree to disagree. Nothing at this point will sway you to change your ways.

Voice and hand commands work so much better in disciplining. But, heck, those take a LONG time to keep consistently doing until you see results.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,233,410 times
Gosh a cat jumping on everything, I have always assumed that to be normal behaviour, mine have to jump on to work surfaces to gain access to their outdoor pen through the kitchen window. Every piece of my furniture is a climbing frame for them not intentionally but that's what my lot do.

I cover my leather suite with large heavy duty throws and away we go, no problem.

I wash and clean down all worksurfaces before and after preparing food. Basically I choose to live and share my life with animals.

Sorry I can't offer any advice.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:57 AM

455 posts, read 1,233,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Dogs are supposed to stay on the floor?! Oops...
lol lol - try telling my Staffie that, he dives around the house, uses the furniture to launch off and bounces off all four walls. He leaps from the floor onto my shoulders while I am sitting here posting and is on my knee more than my cats.

The down side is I don't have any black skirts, trousers or tops anymore all covered in short white dog hairs - smashing

Old 12-29-2010, 01:17 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,889,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

Or God forbid they sneak out the door and get hit by a car.... or worse.

I would never swat a cat under any circumstances.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,965,509 times
My cat did a lot of things like this when she was kitten. Spraying her with a bottle never did any good. She has mellowed a bit now. It could be that your cat is bored. Letting my cat go outside for awhile has helped.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:19 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,206,541 times
Some cats are more mellow than others, and some take to training better than others. Some cats are just going to jump on everything, and get into everything, like a kid with ADHD, no matter what you do. Luck of the draw...our last cat, Mickey, he was a big lazy thing, just laid on the sofa all day, once in awhile would move over to the food dish, and back to the sofa. Nothing phased him. His little "brother" Beau, however, was a Tasmanian Devil in a cat suit, jumped on everything, got into everything, would mess up stuff I never even thought a cat would bother with. He mellowed out with age, after about 10 years! So...maybe this cat is not going to fit in with your life style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats