Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,082,176 times

Advertisements

I recently adopted a kitty that does not talk at all. Iv' never known a mute cat before. How often does this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 PM

216 posts, read 825,811 times
Is she a kitten or an adult?
Cats don't communicate with eachother vocally, other than hissing and screaming during fight, they only meow with us humans, because we talk to them and they talk back.
Feral cats for example never meow.
Give her time, talk to her, it might take a long time, depending on her age and her history, whether she was pushed around alot, or is very frightened, or whether she is already comfy and cozy but needs to get to know you better. All cats are different, some former ferals become very social with humans over the years, some early socialized cats born into a human home stay fraidycats all their lives.
Cats are people too...

Old 12-23-2010, 03:59 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,727,668 times
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ulrikeV again."

Great comment!

I'd add: talk to her in her language. . .I mean, do the Meoow thing. My Carly was not very vocal in the beginning when I took her in, but any little sound she made, I'd say it right back to her. "Mir" was the first thing she said. So I Mirred back and eventually she had lots of sounds. I also talked (and still do) to her in English.

She's come to understand a firm "NO!" although I can't say she always obeys.

Aside: Here's a great book: Conversations with My Cat by David Fisher - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

It's the funniest book I've read in a very long time.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:27 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,882,033 times
Default It happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I recently adopted a kitty that does not talk at all. Iv' never known a mute cat before. How often does this happen?
One of our three has a silent purr. We can feel her throat vibrating but no sound comes out. Her meow is so low unless she's right by our faces we can't hear her. We thought it may be related to the severe URI she had when we adopted her. She also had coccidia. We took a real chance on her since we didn't know if she would live or die. She was only 6 weeks old when we got her. I couldn't leave her there in a cold stainless steel cage knowing she was so ill. Warmth, love, no stress, antibiotics, an anti parasitical and plenty of food helped her through.

The day we got her in Nov 2009:

As a young adult:

Old 12-23-2010, 04:27 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,082,176 times
Yes, she was a stray that I got from the humane society and maybe hasn't had much human contact, but she is the sweetest cat, no snipping, biting or clawing, purrs constantly. Can't be too much wrong with her.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,910,551 times
Give her time. We have had a few fosters that we thought would never meow and then all of a sudden they started. It does seem like the older a cat is, the more talking they do. A lot of the time in the middle of the night!

Old 12-23-2010, 06:46 PM

216 posts, read 825,811 times
I remember when my cats first started coming into the house I didn't know much or anything about cats. They were feral born on the neighbor's property and they also didn't make a sound at all.
Then I read in some cat behavior book she gave the advice to always greet the cat when he/she comes in, to always talk to her, even if she just went to the litter box and was gone for 3 minutes.
So I started the habit of always greeting them, whether I hadn't seen them in hours or just minutes, always "Hey Bob!!! What's up, Bob?! " and after a while they started responding.
I do this to this day, sitting on the couch, cat walks by, "Hey Suzie!" ..."meow".

Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,727,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrikeV View Post
. . .
I do this to this day, sitting on the couch, cat walks by, "Hey Suzie!" ..."meow".
Ulri, you've just got to read that book I mentioned upthread. The story is built on the premise that one day the cat responds in English, and goes from there. It's hilarious.

Seriously, treat yourself to a Christmas present and get it.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
we can't get our guys to shut up...it's always "feed me", "Pet me", "Where have you been?", "Why does he get to sit on the back of the chair and I can't". "There was a squirrel driving me nuts today" , "Make room in your lap for me","I was here first",and on and on it goes,,,,night and day.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,997,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Perhaps she simply has nothing to say.

Have you stepped on her tail or foot? Did she say anything then?

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats