U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:09 AM

11,806 posts, read 13,141,448 times
You're right, it is largely a myth, but it all depends upon how a particular cat is treated by the humans it comes into contact with. If it never gets any love, it will be aloof and unaffectionate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 03:40 AM

438 posts, read 483,645 times
I have longed for a cat to be just like yours.

I own three cats my Ragdoll known to be extremely affectionate is more independent than the other two hates being picked up or touched, he will complain and walk off. He does allow me to pick him up and touch him but only on his terms.

The two DSHs one will lay in my arms for hours but not that often. His sibling brother likes his attention on a morning he likes to jump onto our bed and purr he will stay with me until I get up. Hubby is always up first, otherwise I have to make the breakfast

My dog however is on my knee almost 24/7 far more affectionate than any cat I have ever owned.

I agree with the other posts enjoy him and make the most of the good relationship your cat has with you.

Love his name btw.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM

1,788 posts, read 411,525 times
I am finally taking that long rest I promised myself months ago. Mr Rotundity is taking full advantage of it as well. He is laying on my stomach and continually nudging my hands.

He is completely trusting. I can start to pick him up by the throat or place a foot on him...he thinks its all great. Little does he know that he is a pain at times.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 AM

6,370 posts, read 4,380,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
You're right, it is largely a myth, but it all depends upon how a particular cat is treated by the humans it comes into contact with. If it never gets any love, it will be aloof and unaffectionate.
I don't believe this to be true. I've had several cats over my lifetime that simply didn't care to be handled or petted much. Although loved, they always, by their own choice, remained aloof. All cats have different personalities. Some people like their space also. Some cats never heard a kind word, maybe they were even abused, but once in a home with love and affection they become lovable lap cats.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:12 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,134,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
my cat stands by the door an meows as if someone is killing her when i go to the bathroom.
Mine too ! Always wants to be next to me I love it...

Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 8 days ago)

22,815 posts, read 14,390,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have a cat that won't leave me alone.

I love it!! How can you be lonely when there's a 9 pound bundle of fur draped across your lap? Or your keyboard? Or your pillow?
Or your face...

Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 8 days ago)

22,815 posts, read 14,390,026 times
I haven't used the bathroom alone in over 40 years. If it isn't a kid at the door wanting something immediately, it is a cat using the littler box at the same time or demanding to be fed.

I once had a cat who sould swing in the little hammock my underwear made at my knees. He would never leave me alone but that was a bit too much.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM

7,950 posts, read 8,687,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I'm having a hard time typing because my cat is where my laptop should be. It would be there during most waking hours if I allowed it. It wakes me up looking for affection. It raises my hands with its nose....so I'll pet it.

It is completely spoiled. It won't even eat tuna...let alone a mouse.

He is a large cat....I call him Mr. Rotundity. He starts purring when he enters the room, petting is the only thing he seems interested in.....and looking outside.

Can cats wear out their purr?
Enjoy your cat. I had a cat like this growing up, he died in 2008. Anytime I would sit down he would jump up in my lap, he would always sleep with me, etc. These cats don't come around very often.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:29 PM

1,788 posts, read 411,525 times
Compared to some of these stories, Mr Rotundity is just...perfect. When I am not trying to get things done. Like this holiday season.

I'm lucky I guess. I like to work and I like to relax.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:51 PM

438 posts, read 483,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Compared to some of these stories, Mr Rotundity is just...perfect. When I am not trying to get things done. Like this holiday season.

I'm lucky I guess. I like to work and I like to relax.
He sure is a purrfect companion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats