U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Status: "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in." (set 11 days ago)

15,742 posts, read 14,143,655 times
So you, too, have a cat that acts like a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 06:06 PM

9,872 posts, read 8,571,265 times
Amber has always given occasional licks to my hand if I hold it out for her at the right moments. And if I've just eaten something tasty (salty, etc.) with my hands then I'll get obvious attention for that. I knew another cat though that would keep going constantly, more like a dog. I don't think the latter habit is that common but it certainly isn't unheard of.

The main thing Amber likes to lick though is plastic bags.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 AM

972 posts, read 1,169,942 times
One of my cats kisses me right in the middle of my forehead. He doesn't like to be held, so he has to go to some effort to get face level.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 AM

438 posts, read 484,101 times
The only odd behaviour I have come across is one of mine used to kneed my dressing gown and suckle, she always did this from a kitten through to adulthood.

Sooty he will groom my hair, ouch he really tugs at it. His brother still pounces from the floor onto my back and will cling on he seems to like piggy back rides.

I haven't experienced Tempi's behaviour but it sounds really cute.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 AM

5,983 posts, read 7,746,466 times
lol, its definatly cute, i love how affectionate she is.

one thing i didnt mention...(and yes shes been cleared by the vet) is she drools...

when she gets realy into the luvins and scritches and shes kneeding and purring and next thing i know im wet lol, the first time it happend im like wtf was that, then i realized it was tempi drooling on me LMAO.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 AM

438 posts, read 484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
lol, its definatly cute, i love how affectionate she is.

one thing i didnt mention...(and yes shes been cleared by the vet) is she drools...

when she gets realy into the luvins and scritches and shes kneeding and purring and next thing i know im wet lol, the first time it happend im like wtf was that, then i realized it was tempi drooling on me LMAO.
Aww bless her she is really happy with you.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 AM

3,729 posts, read 5,733,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I knew another cat though that would keep going constantly, more like a dog. I don't think the latter habit is that common...
That reminds me! One of the store cats at a used-book shop in Boston not only will give an outstretched hand - even the wrist and forearm - lavish licking, his tongue is the most like sandpaper of any cat's I've ever felt.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 PM

11,872 posts, read 6,850,413 times
One of my cats, Annie, will give little nips from time to time. It's when she is in my lap and purring up a storm. They really are love bites. They never hurt. The feeling I get is that she is just so comfy and feels so content that licking is not enough to show me she loves me.

Stella the Diva Cat loves to get on the top of my pillow between my head and the backboard of the bed and clean my hair. It's so funny. She means business, too. She is grooming me. If I leave a hand out of the covers and in a palms up position it's a message to her to play tag with my hand. So funny.

Stella is also the one who stands on top of me in the morning to let me know it's time to get up and feed her. If I groan she gets really close to my face and just stares at me as if to say "I know you are awake. Get your butt out of bed and give me some grub."

Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,962,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So you, too, have a cat that acts like a dog.
It's perfectly normal kitten behavior, especially for a kitten who was taken away from mama and litter mates too soon, and has nothing to do with dogs.

Cats don't "act like dogs". They act like cats, because they are cats.

Tempi may have behavior and socialization problems as she grows up, you will have to teach her how to behave.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 AM

24,267 posts, read 28,591,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

Yep, that's normal, too. Checkers, our male, does the nipping thing -- usually to say that he's had quite enough petting, thankyouverymuch. If we're too obtuse to take the hint, he nips harder or bats at our hands. Cookie, our female, drools when she purrs and head-butts. What can you do ... I'd rather be drooled on than miss out on the purring and head-butting.

And you are absolutely wonderful for rescuing Tempi and giving her a home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats don't "act like dogs".
Oh, mine does. He's constantly at my heels as I walk around the house, and he comes when I call, even if it's not mealtime. I call him my little puppy dog cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats