U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM

1,632 posts, read 4,224,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I have been feeding my three cats Wellness CORE dry food for about 6 months now...

A month ago I had to take my male cat to the Vet, he had a bladder infection and his uretha was blocked. I gave him antibiotics and all is well so I thought. Now I have to take my female to the vet as she is showing the same symptoms as the male cat-except she has also gained about 6 pounds on this food. This cannot be a coincidence-my cats are all 5 1/2 and all in excellent health-has anyone had these problems and can someone recommend a quality cat food? Thank you

I have been where you are at.

First emergency visit: I THOUGHT the problem was the brand of dry that I was feeding. I switched to Wellness Core dry.

Second emergency visit: I was informed to feed WET. I was given the link to this website:
WOW, what an eye opener!
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Changing to an all wet diet...you will be AMAZED to see the changes in your felines when they are being fed as nature intended. They just don't survive, they thrive.

Who knew that puking was NOT normal (I SHOULD have known... I wouldn't want the food I eat to make me puke!)
No runny eyes or eye boogers.
No knotted/matted fur.
MYTH: Dry kibble does NOT keep a cat's teeth healthy
No dandruff
No FATTIES
Thriving/healthy cats don't sleep 20 hours a day either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 02:28 PM

216 posts, read 683,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
No knotted/matted fur.
Well, don't get your hopes up too high on that one if you have an all weather proof indoor/outdoor semi feral Maine Coon who loves to dig deep in the dirt in the bushes, no matter how raw and wet he's fed...
It's the annual dec-mar we eliminate two mats, he adds three.
But it's true, they are not of the kind only hair clippers can help. They are smooth enough so we can loosen them and eventually he pulls them out (no touchy touchy or combing or scissors on belly and leg pits...).

Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 PM

216 posts, read 683,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post

Thriving/healthy cats don't sleep 20 hours a day either!
That is true!!
I often hear cats will sleep up to 20 hours. The most my cats will sleep is in the summer heat maybe 10-12 hours. In the winter it's much less, actually sometimes I wonder if they sleep at all...

Old 01-04-2011, 05:15 PM

4,119 posts, read 4,593,048 times
Well a girl I work with fed her cats CORE and had the same urinary problems-she switched to canned food and problem solved...except I don't know if I can afford straight canned food-

Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 PM

2,455 posts, read 5,262,979 times
Quote:
Well a girl I work with fed her cats CORE and had the same urinary problems-she switched to canned food and problem solved...except I don't know if I can afford straight canned food-
Where there is a will, there is always a way.

I know you are working hard at figuring out what to do to change your cats' diet to maintain their health. Raw feeding is actually less in cost than quality cans. Yes, oh yes, it takes time to figure out the to do's and the not to do's, and the proper ingredients and supplements, and so forth. Then there is whole prey feeding as well, that can be very difficult for most cats to adjust to. I wouldn't suggest that for yours, especially if used to dry food. I just threw it in here for thought.

Keep up with the research, and listen to those on here and on quality websites who have been through what you are now presently experiencing, and learn from them. But, always question and always use your own brains.

Again, I encourage you. (((HUGS))) This transition period is not easy, not on the cats and not on the cats' caretakeer.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 AM

5,875 posts, read 11,740,839 times
I find it very strange that after having a male cat BLOCK, your vet has not advised you to change your cat's diet.

Put your cats on a canned diet, and find a new vet.

Wellness is notorious for causing urinary tract problems in cats. Canned as well as kibble.

Make the transition very slowly of course, and use a probiotic during the change over, to help prevent diarrhea and tummy upset.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 AM

1,632 posts, read 4,224,486 times
Quote:
I sooooo understand! We already had FOUR cats when I learned (through medical emergencies) that it was the DRY free feeding of kibble (ANY brand) that was the culprit of most feline medical issues.

For what I paid in medical bills, I could feed 4 felines top of the line wet for a year! I just couldn't knowingly continue to feed dry food, once I learned that dry is kibble is NOT the optimal diet for obligate carnivores.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,307,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Wellness is notorious for causing urinary tract problems in cats. Canned as well as kibble.
Really? I've been giving mine Wellness (canned) for many years now, and we've never had a problem...but I also give them some raw, some home-cooked, and 2 other canned brands (Pinnacle and Natural balance) so they get variety in their diet and so if there's ever recall they won't be on JUST one brand. My mom has always fed her cat Wellness (canned) too, and he's almost 17 now .

Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM

5,875 posts, read 11,740,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Really? I've been giving mine Wellness (canned) for many years now, and we've never had a problem...but I also give them some raw, some home-cooked, and 2 other canned brands (Pinnacle and Natural balance) so they get variety in their diet and so if there's ever recall they won't be on JUST one brand. My mom has always fed her cat Wellness (canned) too, and he's almost 17 now .
Well not every cat is going to have trouble with every brand of course. I had a lot of trouble with Wellness canned and pouches and elevated urine pH in a healthy cat, and copious crystals, and stones and elevated urine pH in a cat with FLUTD. And that was before the buy out.

Wellness used to make the claim right on their website that their food would prevent FLUTD and crystals. I so badly wanted my FLUTD kitty on a "healthy" canned food that, against my vet's advisement, I bought into their hype.

My cat who has never had a urinary tract problem in his 12 years presented at a routine check up with a pH of 7.5. (I have blood work and urinalysis as part of routine check ups with my cats)

My FLUTD kitty's urine was full of struvite, and phosphorous and blood after 3 months on the canned wellness.

That claim is no longer on their website, it was removed shorty after I wrote several letters to them complaining about their lies. I am sure I was not the only one to write so they have stopped claiming their food is some miracle food.

I have read many accounts of cats developing UTI problems being fed on Wellness. All of them are anecdotal of course, I am not claiming scientific studies, just posting my experience and what I have read.

Like you, I prefer to feed a variety of high quality brands, not just in case of recalls, but in case one particular food is, unknown to us, lacking in one certain nutrient, this way they are not getting the exact same thing day after day.

Wellness is still included in this rotation, though I plan to eliminate this food. I have one cat who has trouble with constipation on any thing other than the Wellness grain free canned chicken so am experimenting trying to find other foods that will work for her.

It's been a little over 2 years since Wellness was bought out by a big company, (I forget which, Nestle maybe?) and the quality has really dropped.

I know this because my cats do not want to eat the most recent batches I have purchased. And two years is about when that happens, after a big company buys out a premium food.

So Wellness is being phased out of my cats' rotation. In fact I may return the rest of the cases that my cats are shunning, the company needs to know the animals are not fooled. Not that they care. But I object to paying $1.15 for a 3 oz can of food that has the quality of a grocery store brand, and my cats can tell the difference.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,307,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It's been a little over 2 years since Wellness was bought out by a big company, (I forget which, Nestle maybe?) and the quality has really dropped.

I know this because my cats do not want to eat the most recent batches I have purchased. And two years is about when that happens, after a big company buys out a premium food.

So Wellness is being phased out of my cats' rotation. In fact I may return the rest of the cases that my cats are shunning, the company needs to know the animals are not fooled. Not that they care. But I object to paying $1.15 for a 3 oz can of food that has the quality of a grocery store brand, and my cats can tell the difference.
Wow...you know, I did notice the last time I picked up some Wellness cans at petsmart they had a strange white "film" over them when I opened them, so into the garbage they went. When I got some Pet's Barn, they were okay...but it had me feeling unsettled, to say the least. Here we pay $1.59 per can for the stuff , pretty expensive for white filmed food .

On a side note, have you tried "Pinnacle" brand? Mine really love it, esp. my female, she gobbles it up like it's the last feast she'll ever eat, LOL !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats