U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:14 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,759,727 times

Advertisements

Cooper didn't eat at all today and vomited foam just now. I fed them lunch and he literally growled when I put him by his food. I tried to give him treats and he sniffed them and gagged. He hasn't eaten anything poisonous, he's not allowed outside at all. It seems like he is nauseous for no apparant reason. He was following me around meowing, he seemed very uneasy and he wouldn't play with Fritz (my other cat/his buddy). He hissed when Fritz got anywhere near him.

This happened before probably 4(ish) months ago and finally he ate one of those fancy feast appetizers and it was like he snapped out of it. He started eating normally and no more vomiting. I'm going to stop on my way home from work and get some fancy feast to see if that does the trick, but I'm worried. If he keeps this up we'll be going to the vet, I just wanted to check; does anyone know what this could be?

Do you think it's his food? He eats Natural Balance and I've noticed recently that he stopped eating the chicken flavor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 PM

16,472 posts, read 31,224,125 times
I had a cat with IBS and she gradually lost weight and then vomited foamy stuff. By then I had her to the vet. She was put on steroid shots every couple of months but as the years went by, she needed them more like every 3 weeks or so. As she got closer to needing a shot, she would vomit foam again. She finally died from it. I had a necropsy done and they found fatty infiltrates in her liver. Not saying that's what's wrong with your cat, just relating my experience.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,991,177 times
My advice is take him to a vet as soon as you can.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:54 PM

4,308 posts, read 4,955,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
My advice is take him to a vet as soon as you can.

^^yes that

Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,661,719 times
As you know, cats can be very finicky. They could refuse to eat because they don;t want it, or because the last batch was bad. They could have a upset tummy or a nawing pain. It could be a phase or the onset of a terminal illness. My belief is to treat the animals like children who can't speak. If a child was not eating and throwing up foam, and I could not identify something specific, I probably would take it to the doctor. Do the same with the cat. It may be nothing but a irritating fur ball or something worse. If a simple fur ball and it hacks it up on the seat of the car, at least you know and nothing some cleaner won;t fix. But if its something worse, you may prevent it from being tragic.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Hair balls can cause serious problems, illness, dangerous weight loss, and blockages.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 PM

26,457 posts, read 17,788,424 times
so Catsmom 21 what do you do to prevent hair balls? We have 2 ragdolls and while I try to brush them out well once a week I can't always get to it. And it is a big mess. (company even found cat hair in the fridge at Christmas),

My unipuker would sometimes bring up a hairball but not everytime. His bubba has never puked at ALL which is strange cause he grooms the unipuker. Changing to wet food helped unipuker a great deal but we still see a hairball from time to time.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 AM

16,472 posts, read 31,224,125 times
Vets sell something called Laxatone (I think that's the name) which you either put in the cat's mouth or smear on a paw and they lick it off. It's a hariball remedy. My vet told me that even if I don't see hairballs, they can upset the stomanch, irritate it, and the cat vomits fluid or refuses to eat.

A previous vet told me to get some Haley's M.O. at the drugstore and use that every 2 weeks. It's a lubricant laxative and solved my long-haired baby's problems. I'm not sure but I think I used 1 ml for a 13 lb cat. Ask your vet first!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
so Catsmom 21 what do you do to prevent hair balls? We have 2 ragdolls and while I try to brush them out well once a week I can't always get to it. And it is a big mess. (company even found cat hair in the fridge at Christmas),

My unipuker would sometimes bring up a hairball but not everytime. His bubba has never puked at ALL which is strange cause he grooms the unipuker. Changing to wet food helped unipuker a great deal but we still see a hairball from time to time.
I brush the cats daily (except one who will not allow it) In winter I dose all adult cats with hair ball remedy every four days, in shedding season every other day.

My senior male cat gets very ill with hair balls, in spite of my efforts. Cost me a lot in emergencies until I learned to see the signs and cope with it at home. The older he gets the worse it gets. We may be dealing with a motility problem.

When the diarrhea begins I start dosing him with large doses three times a day. This helps him pass the stuff, but also helps control the vomiting (from empty stomach) He usually can't eat so I administer sub q fluids to keep him hydrated. His fur is so fine it forms flat mats that start to line his insides. Usually he has diarrhea for a couple of days while I continue the mass doses of hair ball remedy and sub q fluids until he finally starts passing the mats. Once they start coming out (into the litter box) he starts to eat again.

The female that doesn't allow brushing had one serious illness related to hair balls when she was about 2, with projectile vomiting and unable to eat, it was really scary, x ray showed a large mass at the entrance to her intestine, thought she was going to have to have surgery but with lots of help she managed to pass it.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 AM

1,297 posts, read 1,759,727 times
So I went home last night with a bag full of fancy feast all ready. I figured I'd try their normal food first and if he doesn't eat it move to the fancy feast. So Cooper gobbles up his food and eats half of Fritz's after Fritz walks away! Why oh why does he worry me like this? And when Cooper is mid-scarf, eating like a little starving lion my SO looks over and says "See he's fine, why do you worry so much when nothing's wrong?!" But how can I not worry when a few short hours ago he was showing such sick symtoms? At least you guys were concerned with me! It's so frustrating when the SO never believes that anything is wrong and then Cooper goes and acts completely fine. Not that I wanted something to be wrong - I'm SO RELIEVED that he's eating and acting normal. It's just frustrating.

Anywho - it might be that hairballs are upsetting Cooper's stomach because he is long-haired and he also grooms Fritz who is medium-haired. Their fur isn't long enough to form mats so I don't have them on a normal brushing schedule, but it might be time to start that. I know our vet does sell laxatone so I know that's an option as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I'm so happy it was just a false alarm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats