Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:02 PM

327 posts, read 594,112 times

Advertisements

Soooo, I bought World's Best Cat Litter a few days ago to try it out. (yeah that stuff does NOT work) But anyways, I am finding ants each day around the litter box!!! I've never had this problem with any other cat litter that I've tried. The other day I found some ants and thought it was weird. Plus I've never seen ants anywhere else in my home, ever. But after getting rid of them, I figured, 'ok well hopefully that's a one time thing.' But nope! Just found even more of them and saw some carrying the cat litter! Gross! Sooo, as I'm sure you can guess, but I'm NEVER gonna buy that stuff again!

Has anyone else here ever had that problem??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,291 times
Yes. That and my cats won't use this litter. Because it is made of corn the ants see it as food and my cats, too. Yep, they won't pee in it, but do munch on it from time to time. I throw my hands up because I have tried for years trying to replace clay litters that are so dusty, but to no avail.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,247 times
Ew! It sounds like it's far from the "best" litter.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,409 times
World's Best has corn as an ingredient?! Uckie!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Yes. That and my cats won't use this litter. Because it is made of corn the ants see it as food and my cats, too. Yep, they won't pee in it, but do munch on it from time to time. I throw my hands up because I have tried for years trying to replace clay litters that are so dusty, but to no avail.
Huh. My cat doesn't have a problem with it at all. Overall I've been pretty happy with the stuff- it doesn't smell, it doesn't get tracked around, it isn't dusty... He won't go NEAR feline pine, though (which I used to like using with my last old guy).

The ants thing is something I'll have to keep an eye out for, though, as we have a pretty much continuous battle with them for a couple months at the end of summer every year. It'll suck if they like the litter

Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,863 times
I just threw out my World's Best experiment. Luckily I didn't have ant problems, but thanks to being weaned onto grain-filled kibble, the kitten did think that the corn litter was food and tried to eat it at first. I actually had to hide the bag from her because she wouldn't leave it alone. She did use the box since it had a regular clay litter in there that I was slowly mixing the World's Best into to increase it's relative ratio. As the amount of corn product increased, the clumping turned from good to mediocre to really pretty bad, and it had an organic earthy smell that was not improved by the addition of cat urine. All those people on the commercial claiming they can't smell anything need to have their noses examined. I didn't like this litter at all and won't be buying it again. Thanks for the heads up about the insects, the last thing I need is to attract ants or roaches to my litter box, ugh.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I just threw out my World's Best experiment. Luckily I didn't have ant problems, but thanks to being weaned onto grain-filled kibble, the kitten did think that the corn litter was food and tried to eat it at first. I actually had to hide the bag from her because she wouldn't leave it alone. She did use the box since it had a regular clay litter in there that I was slowly mixing the World's Best into to increase it's relative ratio. As the amount of corn product increased, the clumping turned from good to mediocre to really pretty bad, and it had an organic earthy smell that was not improved by the addition of cat urine. All those people on the commercial claiming they can't smell anything need to have their noses examined. I didn't like this litter at all and won't be buying it again. Thanks for the heads up about the insects, the last thing I need is to attract ants or roaches to my litter box, ugh.

Similar experience, kitten wants to eat the WB corn litter I was experimenting too, by adding corn to clay.

And when I saw this about the ants.....I knew that this is not going to work for me.

I AM looking for something to add to clay, not replace it entirely and I liked the effect of the mix half corn half clay but I can't have the kitten eating and them vomiting the litter, so the birds got the rest of the WB.

I'm going to try a clumping pine for mixing, next.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Similar experience, kitten wants to eat the WB corn litter I was experimenting too, by adding corn to clay.

And when I saw this about the ants.....I knew that this is not going to work for me.

I AM looking for something to add to clay, not replace it entirely and I liked the effect of the mix half corn half clay but I can't have the kitten eating and them vomiting the litter, so the birds got the rest of the WB.

I'm going to try a clumping pine for mixing, next.
Feline Pine clumping litter doesn't clump. It smells nice and the cats don't seem to mind it mixed in with the clay. But in spite of what it says on the box, it does not clump when wet, it turns to mush. (Guar gum is what is added to make it <allegedly> clump)

The other clumping pine is called Feline Fresh. I don't know if that is available around here, I'll have to look tomorrow. My only choices are the local feed store, or Tractor Supply as the grocery store and Walmart do not carry it.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Feline Pine clumping litter doesn't clump. It smells nice and the cats don't seem to mind it mixed in with the clay. But in spite of what it says on the box, it does not clump when wet, it turns to mush. (Guar gum is what is added to make it <allegedly> clump)

The other clumping pine is called Feline Fresh. I don't know if that is available around here, I'll have to look tomorrow. My only choices are the local feed store, or Tractor Supply as the grocery store and Walmart do not carry it.
The feed store is supposed to be finding a price on the Feline Fresh for me. They don't carry it, but said they will get it in for me. Unfortunately their follow up on special orders has not been, in my experience, very reliable, so we will see.

The clumping Feline Pine is not going to work. It smells nice when first put in the box, and the cats seem to like it. By the third day of use (in spite of frequent scooping) it smells terrible, and it forms a solid immovable lump on the bottom of the box. I'm looking for something to make it easier on me, not more difficult.

In addition, I think my senior cat may have an allergy to the pine.

So for now, we are back to plain old clay (non clumping) litter and I am resigned to just scooping copiously and dust. Phooey.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
.....Soooo, Just found even more of them and saw some carrying the cat litter!......
I don't think I'd even want to try that litter. Something in it must be attracting the ants. We use clumping clay. They all work fine so far. We try to avoid the heavily perfumed ones. We get whatever is on sale when we need a fresh supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats