U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM

931 posts, read 854,912 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I'm wrong. But for my cats, isn't the use of a water pistol (filled with of course room temperature water) the only ASPCA approved method for disciplining a cat if he misbehaves and/or does something you disapprove of?

Sometimes, they need a little correction. Like when they try and get into something they shouldn't. A quick squirt followed by a loud clap should be enough to train them. I try not to yell at them aside from the occassonal snap of "NO!" and certainly never hit or kick them or "rub their nose in anything".

But the wifey gets a little short with me for squirting them with the water, even though she knows they are misbehaving. I told her [I thought] that a water pistol is really the only humane and "ASPCA approved" method for training a cat to not do something.

The cats are otherwise usually well behaved. But like children, do occassionally get into some mischief. They are strictly indoors, fixed, yadda yadda....I'll post pix of them along with their story here in a bit.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,117,834 times
I have never done that to my cats. If one did something BAD, like jump up on the dinner table, and start licking the turkey on the platter, a loud "NO" makes them run. They know what being a "BAD KITTY" is...

Old 01-19-2011, 03:07 PM

211 posts, read 201,983 times
I yell NO and clap my hands loudly as I walk fast towards him.

He doesn't budge with a water pistol, maybe he can't feel it through his thick fur!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,322,946 times
when i had younger cats i used a water bottle all the time. they are older and smarter now

but i find making a loud noise works too or shaking the bottle of motrin next to me...

Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 PM

9,796 posts, read 24,482,052 times
I see nothing wrong with using a water bottle. My cats love water, yet, one or two squirts with a water bottle and they have learned. Now, all I have to do is say: "your going to get squirted" or show them the bottle and they know they have done something unacceptable and stop. I usually try a loud clap of the hands first...if that goes unheeded, then the water bottle comes out.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,117,834 times
I am not an advocate of corporal punishment for children, or animals...but a judicious spanking may sometimes be appropriate. Pierre once bit the baby...and he was severely spanked on his lil' cat bootie...he never bit the baby again.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:17 PM

4,679 posts, read 8,677,081 times
The latest thing I've tried with Five is yowling/growling at him. When I'm doing it 'right' it actually gets him to stop bad behavior and give me a confused look much more consistently than "No!" or "Bad kitty!" does.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,219,231 times
I explained in a previous thread why I no longer use water spray training, but I can't find it so I'll just repeat myself.

This last year we lost both our cats that we'd had for fifteen and sixteen years to cancer. When they were kittens we used the spray technique to train them off the counters and tables, etc. The problem is that they developed extremely strong aversions to spray bottles. The consequence of which was that as they got older and had accidents that needed to be cleaned up, they thought I was punishing them when I got out the cleaner. It made me feel really terrible, because of course I never would punish them for being sick and I had no way to communicate that to them.

So I vowed with the new kitten there would be no water training. She responds quite well to a simple snap of my fingers and "no" said in a conversational tone. If I raise my voice it just confuses her. This honestly has worked just as well as the spraying did for the others. And I'm not sure that water training would have worked on her anyway, she doesn't seem to hate getting wet like my other cats did. She doesn't even seem to notice.

The other thing that I don't like about spraying the cat with water is that the ones that do hate it... it just seems sort of cruel to get them wet when they hate it so much. It seems like it damages the trust between human and animal.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:43 AM

8,820 posts, read 15,361,372 times
I thought of using the spray bottle before but could not do it. Both of my cats are older, and I do not want to torture them! They know the commands like "No" "Stop it" "Shut up" (when they are howling late at night playing lost in the jungle or whatever cats do). They also know what "BIRD!" is. And when i point and say it, they run to the window to look for the bird. They also know what "Bug" is. My husband will tell them to "Get the bug." And they start looking on the floor for it or the wall.
They know what "Kitty" is too. If I say it just right, they run to the window to find the kitty.

But anyway, back to punishing kitties...If they really get out of hand and ignore me, I just hiss at them. It works great.
Please do not torture your kitties! You don't want them to hate you and start leaving icky hairballs in your favorite shoes or on your side of the bed. Treat them nice with love and respect, lots of petting and cuddling. You CAN train them. It just takes time and patience.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM

6,413 posts, read 5,601,972 times
If I had a cat who seemed really traumatized by spraying, I wouldn't do it. But neither of my cats seem upset after the immediate reaction of stopping what they're doing. I do it very seldom, only when someone repeatedly does something despite being told not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats