U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 AM

24,244 posts, read 28,542,051 times
We bought a fountain and the cats were scared of it.

Keep the the toilet lid down, and the cat can't drink out of it. Until he learns how to lift the lid ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,070,891 times
closing the lid would seem the most OBVIOUS answer.... sigh.....

Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 AM

24,244 posts, read 28,542,051 times
My next question is: Why wouldn't anyone want to keep the toilet lid closed??

Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,230,785 times
My 19 year old female keeps doing this. She also insists on drinking from the sink after I fill it up with water. Once in a while I'll see her drinking from the pet fountain. She doesn't seem to be harmed by drinking out of the toilet. We try to keep it very clean.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,509,430 times
I have to keep my lid down.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:12 AM

4,091 posts, read 3,948,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The toilet thing is driving me nuts. No one can remember to close it and so I find myself washing it out every time I use it. Dawn and brush, then flush until there are no soap suds. Geez, I bet the environmental police would have a field day with me.
Dish soap is very sudsy, if you used a different cleaner you wouldn't have to flush so much to get the suds down, or use way less Dawn, either one.

To the OP, if your household is like the above poster's and you can't get other people to keep the toilet lid down, stop using chemical things in the toilet, just clean the toilet every few days instead.

Otherwise, just keep the lid down, or bathroom door shut.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:08 PM

8,233 posts, read 10,902,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Dish soap is very sudsy, if you used a different cleaner you wouldn't have to flush so much to get the suds down, or use way less Dawn, either one.

To the OP, if your household is like the above poster's and you can't get other people to keep the toilet lid down, stop using chemical things in the toilet, just clean the toilet every few days instead.

Otherwise, just keep the lid down, or bathroom door shut.
I used dawn so that I could see that all of the soap was out because it suds so much. As for the water, I was really joking. I use so much water its ridiculous. Sometimes in the summer, the pool has so much evaporation I just let the hose run in it at a trickle 24/7.

Lid down is like lights off. With people coming and going and bad habits of the two of us, the lid is often up.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:29 PM

438 posts, read 483,213 times
We keep the lid down we have a water drinking fountain for the boys but they will still queue up for the toilet.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,633,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't even use bottled water for my family but now I'm supposed to buy it for my cats? I don't think so.
Where we live, we have very hard water. Due to the fact that the majority of my boys suffer with FLUTD, I avoid tap water which has a lot of minerals in it. Those in turn do cause crystal formation in the bladder and lower urinary tract.

And yes, what Lola says is true, also. Slime City when using tap water with drinking fountains. I did the same as Lola. I ended up throwing my fountains out because they were such a hassle keeping clean. Every time I turned around, I saw the slime and the yuck. Cleaning water dishes out every day is a lot easier.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,391,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't even use bottled water for my family but now I'm supposed to buy it for my cats? I don't think so.
My cats get bottled water. I won't drink the tap water where I live so there's no way I would make them. The tap water here smells like chlorine. We have just made it a habit to keep the lid down. I trained DH from the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats