Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
This Alpha male cat dominates a large territory, and part of that territory includes the back yard of where I stay...

It comes through 2-3 times a day, marking it's territory, and displaying it's dominance...

The other cat's seem to fear it more than they do me, at least the other mature males...

The cat has a very thick 'mane'...like a lion...
I realize now that 'mane' is for protection during battle...

But it still amazes me how that cat is able to grow a mane, but other male or tom cats do not...

This particular cat looks more like a warewolf to me...and I suppose if I only stood 12 inches tall...it would be..

I'm thinking of naming it 'big ben'...
It runs as soon as I open the door...but will sneak a meal whenever it can...

It exerts a certain survival wisdom, that the other cats do not...
You can almost hear it thinking, plotting it's next move, as it walks through...sometimes napping...

(either that or 'Big pappa')...

Anyhow, just thought I'd share that...
He looks like a "Big Pappa" to me...just beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Default Last Night's Concert

Last night, none of us in this house got much sleep on account of Whispers, my special feral baby. He sang all night long, for hours on end. The only way he will stop is when I in turn mimic his singing, and sing back to him. But last night, this only allowed for a few minutes of quiet, or so it seemed, until Whispers started up again.

Why was he singing? Whiskers, Whispers' biological, and I believe twin brother (born of the same fertilized egg) was spotted here last night by my husband. Someone, albeit most likely my Tigger, turned off the outside spot lights we turn on in the backyard, so hubs turned them back on. And to his astonishment, there was Whiskers sitting in 10 degree weather, looking straight in at the dining room window, the exact window Whispers was.

Whiskers seemed startled at the light, so hubs shut it off. Evidently, the two brothers were talking to each other all night long, catching up. Whiskers to my knowledge has not been here for at least a month, and I had feared the cold had killed him. Nope! Hubs said he is fat and looking very healthy. It's probably all the raw food I have been feeding him and any cat who is hungry! And because he is a feral cat, of course, he made sure I didn't know he was here.

These two cats' story is so amazing that I must write about it again, and the bond between these two is nothing I have ever witnessed in felines. In December of 2009, I was feeding Whiskers, until he disappeared. He showed up on 12-12-09 but not alone. I don't know to this day how he managed this, but from wherever his brother was (Whispers) he got him, either carrying him or pushing him in order for him to get to our home. Evidently these young boys had been turned out of the nest, and Whispers being the runt (I believe) was dying. Whiskers brought his brother to me, dying, frozen, emaciated because he knew I would take care of him. (huge lump in my throat)

I received the delivery on my front doorstep. I have been taking care of this baby ever since.

Everytime the brothers meet up with each other, Whispers in his excitement just sings sings sings for JOY. And last night must have been one grand reunion, for Whispers never stopped singing all night. Today, finds not only myself dragging, but all my cats out are out like lights, with a look on their faces that says, wow! What a night last night!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
I love the stories...please keep them coming...my access to the net is limited right now...so I can't check in as much as I'd like to....sorry...

But I love the stories...and hope to get caught up and read them all come this weekend...

Take care...and continue with the 'cat tails'...thanks...

Old 02-02-2011, 12:11 PM

Time and Space, love the picture of the Alpha cat! Now that is a cat!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Time and Space, love the picture of the Alpha cat! Now that is a cat!
That it is....

It got in a tussle the other morning, on the roof of my place...scared the mess out of me...

It was up there with another cat...and sounded like it was trying to kill the other cat...

After a while, you are able to some what identify different cat communications...

distress, joy, curiosity, anger, sex and love...

But I could tell this cat was putting out a 'I fear for my life' type of cry...

So I responed...jumped out of bed or 'the couch'...half naked, annoyed, frustrated...wondering if I could break it up in time...

(cat fights are usually short, but when their prolonged, or when you hear one screaming, and not the other, that usually means one cat is literally trying to kill or physically damage the other)...

So I knew my time was short...I opened the door, still not dressed correctly, and flung rain jacket onto the roof hoping to distract...it did not work...which told me attack cat meant business...

So I put on something...and started to climb atop the roof...then and only then did it break up...

And as I turned around, I caught the tail glimpse of the big black warewolf cat running over another roof top...

Like a phantom of the night...slipping off....

The orange tabee it was attacking, just looked at me, jumped off roof onto a tree...and was gone...(it should of hugged me)...

But yes, big pappa meant business that time...it was attacking one of it's own offspring...another male...

It wants them all to leave his territory now...but they won't...they keep hanging around their mamma...

The mamma cat (which I will post a photo of soon) is the only cat big pappa won't mess with...amazing...

Anyhow...gotta run...

Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Time and Space, your stories amaze me and they sound something straight out of the jungle! Here, on my property I have created a haven of peace. I don't quite understand how it happened, but it did. Yet, and this I do know, when some of the barn boys I have inside now on account of illness where out, they formed a "line" and would not allow any other cat/kitten to get through to the food dish. A few times I was furious, and was besides myself with frustration, running through the brush with branches scratching me and grabbing at me, as I desperately tried to get to the screaming I heard. I knew that one of the boys was attacking this small calico kitten that somehow managed to get through the line, this one time, and my heart was literally in my throat, tears streaming down my face.

I never did get to the cats and to this day I don't know if the kitten was just run off or killed. Sometimes Nature saddens me, scares me, and to know that I have these same wild cats now living inside my home, keeps me on alert at all times. Yes, they are still very capable of going "instinct" yet I am hoping that with all the "teaching" I have done, all the encouraging I have done to show them how to live peacefully, that it has rubbed off.

Push comes to shove though, instinct, no matter how much I show these cats otherwise does and will kick in. There is much less fighting now, ever since I began to feed raw and there are some pretty happy tummies in this house. I also supplement with Taurine to keep these guys calm and have studied homeopathy, acupressure, massage techniques and other hands-on healing modalities, all in hope that I can help heal their dis-eases. It's a process and as time goes by, the wildness is calmer (thank God!) and a happy kitty is now evident. Also, with the process, my beautiful house is now quite the mess. It is the price I am paying to help wild/feral cats who would otherwise be dead now.

LOL Speaking of instincts. I just caught my Benji, a barn cat, jumping atop my Megan, grabbing her neck tuff in his mouth, for he was ready and "in the mood". LOL She wasn't. She managed to get out from under him, glare, and HISS, telling him in short, "I am not in the mood! Back off, Benji!" LOL LOL LOL And yes, he is neutered!

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 02-05-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Time and Space, your stories amaze me and they sound something straight out of the jungle! Here, on my property I have created a haven of peace. I don't quite understand how it happened, but it did. Yet, and this I do know, when some of the barn boys I have inside now on account of illness where out, they formed a "line" and would not allow any other cat/kitten to get through to the food dish. A few times I was furious, and was besides myself with frustration, running through the brush with branches scratching me and grabbing at me, as I desperately tried to get to the screaming I heard. I knew that one of the boys was attacking this small calico kitten that somehow managed to get through the line, this one time, and my heart was literally in my throat, tears streaming down my face.

I never did get to the cats and to this day I don't know if the kitten was just run off or killed. Sometimes Nature saddens me, scares me, and to know that I have these same wild cats now living inside my home, keeps me on alert at all times. Yes, they are still very capable of going "instinct" yet I am hoping that with all the "teaching" I have done, all the encouraging I have done to show them how to live peacefully, that it has rubbed off.

Push comes to shove though, instinct, no matter how much I show these cats otherwise does and will kick in. There is much less fighting now, ever since I began to feed raw and there are some pretty happy tummies in this house. I also supplement with Taurine to keep these guys calm and have studied homeopathy, acupressure, massage techniques and other hands-on healing modalities, all in hope that I can help heal their dis-eases. It's a process and as time goes by, the wildness is calmer (thank God!) and a happy kitty is now evident. Also, with the process, my beautiful house is now quite the mess. It is the price I am paying to help wild/feral cats who would otherwise be dead now.

LOL Speaking of instincts. I just caught my Benji, a barn cat, jumping atop my Megan, grabbing her neck tuff in his mouth, for he was ready and "in the mood". LOL She wasn't. She managed to get out from under him, glare, and HISS, telling him in short, "I am not in the mood! Back off, Benji!" LOL LOL LOL And yes, he is neutered!
Your lovely...thanks for the comeback...

I tried minding my own business today...

But these cats...these cats...who do they think I am??

I took this photo hours ago...why do they stare into my place??

What do they want from me??

Do they realize most humans don't really like my appearance?

So why do they take such an interest in me?

I'm not sure what to do??
Attached Thumbnails
Cat tails...true life observances of what you observe cats doing while looking out your window...-100_2583-copy_picnik.jpg  

Old 03-26-2011, 09:13 AM

Default Cats vs Squirrels...

Cats vs Squirrels...

Today while looking out into the back yard, I saw something drop...literally fall from the sky...

It was a squirrel...I guess it thought it had wings, or simply mis-judged the distance of a branch.

Anyhow...no sooner did this squirrel hit the ground were the cats in pursuit...

No worries...the squirrel made it to safety...and ran back up the tree...with cats in hot pursuit...

The squirrels really seem to annoy the cats...like ready meals always just out of their reach...

But every so often, a squirrel will get careless, and you'll see squirrel hair scattered around the next morning...

But today, the high flying circus performing squirrel won...

Old 03-26-2011, 02:12 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I tried minding my own business today...

But these cats...these cats...who do they think I am??

I took this photo hours ago...why do they stare into my place??

What do they want from me??

Do they realize most humans don't really like my appearance?

So why do they take such an interest in me?

I'm not sure what to do??
Cats see right into our souls...they see the TRUE beauty within us, and understand the physical aspects are only the "vessels"...this is why they stare at you so adoringly, because they see your beautiful soul !

When a negative energy (spirit or extra-dimensional being?) is in a space, their fur becomes electrified...stands right on end...this is when I run to grab some dried sage to burn and cleanse the space. They let me know when it needs to be done. When there is a good energy in the space, (loving spirits or angels?) they stare, transfixed, calmly purring...this lets me know it's time to get into a mudra and connect with that being and thank it for watching over us .

I believe cats are both "here" and "there"...the have access to the other side of the veil and they can teach us so much. Highly psychic creatures, our beloved felines, they are like a bridge between this dimension and other worlds. They always want to be right in the room with me when I meditate, and I feel like it's easier for me to clear my mind and "connect" with higher energies when they're close-by, their very presence charges me and tunes me in.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
One of my three indoor cats named Candy is a real sweetie. We got her from humane society and was already front declawed, (not a fan of declawing).

Anyway she is 10 yrs old and a long haired domestic. When looking out the window and she sees a bird she moves her jaws real fast but makes no sound. It is funny to watch.

We found out that she is loosening her jaws for an attack on prey. She is only one that does this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats