Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,328 times

Advertisements

go to cedarcide.com and purchase Best; it only attacks the crawling things you don't want and is safe for cat's dogs, kids, and adults--it's the Best product 100% natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
I use dry cornmeal. Ants come and eat it or bring it back to their nests, but can't digest it, and die. Use little tiny piles (like 1/4 t. each) where ever the ants are, and they will find it.

This doesn't work for all types of ants, but I've had good luck with it. And it's very safe for pets and babies.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:44 PM

10 posts, read 22,200 times
How about diatomaceous earth? I think it is safer to use for cats than borax. Here is a quick video about using diatomaceous earth to get rid of fleas on pets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptLQezauJkM

Old 04-25-2015, 02:24 PM

38 posts, read 84,492 times
I've used Orange Guard to get rid of them inside. Also, Terminix has SafeShield spray, which is made with lemongrass oil. Kills the ants and doesn't hurt the kitties. I have 15 that I've rescued, so I wouldn't want them to get sick.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 769 times
I have a Savannah cattery, and some very expensive kittens in the next room. I wet in there last night and EVERYThING was crawling with ants. We do have a problem with them! When we first bought our home, in 98, ants would take over my kitchen, usually a day or 2 before I was throwing a massive Thanksgiving... like crashing the party. Back then, I did not have a way expensive line of cats.... but love my rescues, how ever old and domestic, as much as my crazy spotted kitties, now. SO back then, I did now have a 1000 sq ft double screened in catio, for them to go in and out of, via an open window to our home. They were allowed to go inside and out, back then. I hired a bug killer company..... live and learn. They would just douche my whole home on the outside. My cool cat, and rescue, Fred, walked on the sidewalk while the spray was still wet... it JUST about killed him, as he licks his feet like any cat. Of course I went into rescue mode, as he was so, SO sick, immediately after they sprayed. My concern at that point was my cat!!! So it was touch and go... for a while... and I dropped the bank to save him. (can't tell you how many times since then I have done that for any of my babies) My vet pulled him thru it... back then, a $400 vet bill was BIG... now I have been known to spend $15000 on 1 cat who is doing well, $5000 on a cat with cancer that passed.... and $3000 to try and save the kitten-sister of miss Kaya, my by now, $20,000. Savannah... not to mention all the other catz. So I got ahold of the spray company, with vet bills.... and they said "oh, you should have had either a toxicology test or an odtopsy done on the cat.) My cat pulled thru that! BUT in a time when we were totally stressed, scared, and freaked out, we were not thinking all this extra vet costs. They were told never to set foot on my property, right then. Anyway, the ants are living under the concrete slab, and coming up thru cracks. I have a cattery.... an in-home spoiled to the 9's cattery.... they are family to us. Ants in the way expensive royal caninn baby/mama food is NOT ok.... they annoy the heck out of me, by now. I just now tried the vinager and water (50/50) mix in a spray bottle.... after doing the mote thing last night. IT KILLED THE ANTS, like immediatly. Wow... something worked! I tried the diatomatious earth.... it didnt work for us. Anyway, ants are BAD, this time of year, when it goes from 115 degrees here in Redding Cali.... to the 40's and 50's. They just move in... into my plants, that I just fill the sink with water and leave the plant in there for up to 2 days..... that kills them there! They will come up in the drain of the tub? I will fight them, and I will win! Someday.... well until a day or 2 before Thanksgiving! Good luck! Tarro baits are good.... they only have borax and sweet syrup in them. I know this because my stupid puppy got ahold of 1 and chewed it all up. He went to the vet.... and they checked. It is not toxic. AND it works.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:34 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I recently spilled sugar water from one of my hummingbird feeders just outside the back door as I was putting it outside. A few days later I had a trail of ants coming into the kitchen from the top step, which really skeeved me out. (I hate ants, sorry.) Anyway, I used Raid Ant baits and stuck them to the floor with double-sided tape so the cats wouldn't turn them into sliding toys. The ants were gone in less than a week and no cats were harmed. The cats never even touched the bait stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats