Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverbby View Post
Aluminum balls are safe as long as they are under supervision.
No, they aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
This is absolute BS. Don't give a cat aluminum foil to play with. Don't use aluminum foil to try and 'cat proof' anything. If the cat gnaws on the foil - which it very well may - and ingests it the cat will get sick either from intestinal blockage, or intestinal perforation...they can't digest it, and it's sharp and will cut their insides. You're an irresponsible cat guardian if you know the risks yet give it to them anyway.

Same goes for anything they might tear apart and swallow. You need to treat them like babies in way. Who would give a human baby a ball of tin foil to play with? A negligent or reckless parent, that's who.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post

This is absolute BS. Don't give a cat aluminum foil to play with. Don't use aluminum foil to try and 'cat proof' anything. If the cat gnaws on the foil - which it very well may - and ingests it the cat will get sick either from intestinal blockage, or intestinal perforation...they can't digest it, and it's sharp and will cut their insides. You're an irresponsible cat guardian if you know the risks yet give it to them anyway.

Same goes for anything they might tear apart and swallow. You need to treat them like babies in way. Who would give a human baby a ball of tin foil to play with? A negligent or reckless parent, that's who.
Oh what complete and utter horsepucky. I've been a responsible cat owner for 30 years and have NEVER, EVER, EVER had a cat ingest aluminum foil, whether it was in a ball or put over the arm of a piece of furniture as a deterrent to scratching. Ever. And I've had a lot of cats in and out of my home during my cat rescue days. My first cat loved aluminum foil balls and would carry them in her teeth and drop them at my feet to make me play with her with them ... and she lived to be 22 years old, having never ingested so much as a teeny shred of foil.

This shrieking and name-calling is entirely uncalled-for. Especially because you're just flat out wrong.

If you find that your cat is eating foil, then don't give it to them; that would be irresponsible. But calling me irresponsible against my stellar record of care-taking of my cats is breathtakingly rude.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
In a word.... an empty box. It's for hiding, sleeping, plotting and when you can't find a handy spot, shreading. A friend of mine had one in each room and if it dissapeared, the cats were NOT happy.

Walmart delivered the stuff I orders so I have a pile of three and a cat plotting to get to the top one....

Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
In a word.... an empty box. It's for hiding, sleeping, plotting and when you can't find a handy spot, shreading. A friend of mine had one in each room and if it dissapeared, the cats were NOT happy.

Walmart delivered the stuff I orders so I have a pile of three and a cat plotting to get to the top one....
Yep cardboard boxes are IT. Some are permanent Beds. Some are permanent Forts. Some are shredded then disposed of, with a new shredding box offered. Some are simply transient, but when one is gone, there will be another soon.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
I am not sure if this counts as a valid response, but we got some toys on FreeCycle for our cats (for free!)... one of them was a circle toy with a track with a ball and the middle part has cardboard. The kids LOVE it. We didn't pay for it!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I am not sure if this counts as a valid response, but we got some toys on FreeCycle for our cats (for free!)... one of them was a circle toy with a track with a ball and the middle part has cardboard. The kids LOVE it. We didn't pay for it!
That's called the Turbo Scratcher. I've always kept one in the house, because usually at least one cat loves it, though it did go a good number of years unused as one who used it left us to become an Angel, and no one else used it until Little Cat came two years ago. She LOVES the thing and plays with it every day. In fact every time she walks past it she reaches out and swipes the ball to make it rumble around the track. Other times she spends an hour or more with it.

AND, it is the first thing she shows people who come to the house. She loves visitors and after she greets them she runs to her Turbo Scratcher, pushes the ball, and looks to make sure the person is watching her. If the visitor isn't looking, she goes over, lightly scratches at the leg, "hey you, pay attention" and goes back to the Turbo.

PS as a precaution, I would suggest anyone getting used cat toys disinfect them before giving them to kitty.

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-06-2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
LOL The rings are my Siamese cat's FAVORITE. When I moved, I found almost 150 of them under the stove. We cracked up. She can hear you opening the jug no matter where she is in the house and how quiet you try to be. It's hilarious. She does chew them up though so I have to watch her. The black cat doesn't care for the rings, but he likes empty boxes and anything with catnip.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Our best toy ever is a laser pointer. Entertains both kitties and humans for hours. $1 at harbor freight.

We laguh our tails off watching kitty chasing that thing all over in crazy places. It is fun to get her all excited and then put the pointer on a person.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
My cats love my pony tail ties- I couldn't figure out where they were going for the longest time last year after we got our baby cat (Itbit). Then one night she was in the front room making all kinds of noise, running around and playing. (we have all wood and tiles floors in our home) and I go in there and she is playing with the hair ties. Sweetheart comes in and plays every once in awhile. My DH can't wait until the spring comes and the june bugs are out, my Itbit will be going crazy.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
My cats love my pony tail ties- I couldn't figure out where they were going for the longest time last year after we got our baby cat (Itbit). Then one night she was in the front room making all kinds of noise, running around and playing. (we have all wood and tiles floors in our home) and I go in there and she is playing with the hair ties. Sweetheart comes in and plays every once in awhile. My DH can't wait until the spring comes and the june bugs are out, my Itbit will be going crazy.
These are not safe toys for cats. Cats can (and do) swallow them, and they create blockages or other havoc inside. Put your pony tail ties out of reach. And rubber bands too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats