Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,611,349 times

Advertisements

Ok, not to send an alarm here but my baby won't stop this "lovin' herself". Every time I walk in room, I catch her if she's not asleep. I try to play w/ her, brush her, etc. yet she licks herself (even where i just petted/kissed her) as if to say, "I need to cleanup the imperfection of you touching me".

Is this normal? I may overread this but it drives me nuts, as I assume she licks in chemicals from rugs, etc. I worry of this but have no idea to stop it.

Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,187 times
Excessive grooming is fairly common but not normal. She should see a vet. She is grooming herself excessively as a coping mechanism, either as a response to stress in general or to an underlying medical condition.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:14 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,174 times
Movintime, I am not sure exactly what you are saying. Are you saying that your cat grooms herself all the time to the point it really is excessive, or is she grooming herself when she changes positions, or from you touching her? Has this been a new behavior? And keep in mind, with the change of Seasons, cats groom themselves more.

And as long as you don't use chemicals on the rugs themselves, there is zero chance that she is getting chemicals from grooming. Unless you count the actual rug fiber itself, and depending upon what the rug is made out of, which I don't know at this point.

I have some real groomers here, that actually will glare at me if I dare touch them after they have meticulously licked themselves, making sure every strand of fur is purrfect.

Sorry I didn't see this thread right away.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 02-01-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Cats lick themselves after you touch them to taste you. It's bonding behavior.

If you are seeing bare patches or sores then there is something to be concerned about and a trip to the vet may be in order. Food allergies or an anxiety disorder can cause this kind of licking.

Perhaps she has dry skin, try adding some fish oil to her diet a few times a week, and be sure to brush her daily to distribute her natural oils and remove loose fur.

Other wise it may be she just likes being clean.

PS I have a cat who licks a triangle of fur to very very short, over her abdomen. She rarely licks it to bareness or sores, but if I do see a sore starting I have a special ointment from the vet to use for 10 days. The Animax clears up the sore in about 24 hours, and the 10 day regimen does break the habit for a couple of months.

However she does always go back to it eventually. Usually she just keeps the fur there very very short, so her pink skin shines through, I call it her Pink Triangle.

If the problem is severe, and food allergies, flea allergies and other physiological problems have been ruled out, a medication such as amitriptyline (used as an anti anxiety/behavior modification in cats) may be needed.

<edit> PS If you are concerned about her ingesting chemicals wipe her fur down with a damp cloth once or twice a day. Do you use fabric softeners in your laundry? She could have an allergy to something like that, also. Use a hypoallergenic laundry detergent and if you use a fabric softener run an extra rinse cycle. Run an extra rinse cycle anyway, can't hurt. No dryer sheets.

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-02-2011 at 04:00 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,611,349 times
Hi all, well I'm semi-recovered from my bday () so I'll regroup here. Garden & catsmom, she kinda licks when she is alone too long or if I come in her rm & then kiss or pet her or if I stop petting here she licks area. I dont think its abnormal ***** yet have no idea, as my worry-wort mind thinks she's ingesting all gunk, etc.

So...who really knows as we all inhale or eat bad things but humans dont lick themselves clean (well at least most I know, tho I bet some do ).

She has porphyrin stains tho from licking, & is a tuxedo, yet is browning her fur out in some areas due to licking/staining.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats lick themselves after you touch them to taste you. It's bonding behavior.
Really? I always thought they were trying to get rid of the "dirt".

Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Really? I always thought they were trying to get rid of the "dirt".
LOL And here all along I thought it went along these lines....."How dare you disturb my fur which I spent all day long, getting just purrfect! Now I have to redo everything I spent hours on, just because you wanted to touch me!" (Haughty look of distain) LOL LOL LOL

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 02-03-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats