Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

I think the turn taking in the large carrier when you are not in the RV is a reasonable solution to an impossible situation. Of course you don't want your air flow restricted, that would be intolerable. I have used feliway in open window seasons. Maybe it's not AS effective but I did still see results.

I wonder...have you ever tried the "vanilla trick"? I've never had need of it, but I know a lot of people who advise it and swear by it. (for instance when one cat smells like vet and other cats are having fits over it)

This is putting a small dot of vanilla on the nose, chin and root of tail of every cat. The theory being that, since scent is everything to a cat (which we know it is), the vanilla makes them all smell the same to one another, and so are more tolerable of one another.

Cooking vanilla, not perfume, and of course make sure none gets in their eyes.

And Rescue Remedy may be worth a try, too. I think I mentioned it before but don't remember if you said you'd already tried it. The RR can at least help reduce Zephyr's stress. She's precious, I saw your pics in the other thread. Phaedra is beautiful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I wonder if the other cats are letting this cat eat and are preventing his access to the food bowl.
She's home all day so would notice something like that. I think she still free-feeds them. I saw a bowl of kibble on the floor when I was there. I personally think the cat is sick, not being starved by the other cats. Diabeties maybe, or kidney failure.....

Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I wonder...have you ever tried the "vanilla trick"? I've never had need of it, but I know a lot of people who advise it and swear by it. (for instance when one cat smells like vet and other cats are having fits over it)
This is putting a small dot of vanilla on the nose, chin and root of tail of every cat. The theory being that, since scent is everything to a cat (which we know it is), the vanilla makes them all smell the same to one another, and so are more tolerable of one another. Cooking vanilla, not perfume, and of course make sure none gets in their eyes.
I can give it a shot. All the grocery stores sell it here. Zebulon's calmed down a lot today after my husband really got after him last night when he jumped on Zephyr. It was hysterical watching my husband chase him all over the place with a fly swatter. I think Zebuon may be starting to realize we wont let him get away with attacking Zephyr when we're here. When we're not here she has a lot of places to hide. He doesn't follow her to the back bedroom and bathroom.

Quote:
And Rescue Remedy may be worth a try, too. I think I mentioned it before but don't remember if you said you'd already tried it. The RR can at least help reduce Zephyr's stress. She's precious, I saw your pics in the other thread. Phaedra is beautiful too.
Thank you, they are beautiful to us.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I have used Feliway and it DID help. We moved and did not use anything years ago. Cats were upset for days, walking around meowing at night and unhappy. The next move we had heard about Feliway and used it. No meowing, cats settled in much quicker and were happier. I also used it when I introduced a new cat and it did seem to me that it helped take the "edge" of things. I don't think it is a miracle cure, but it is worth a try and you can get it on Amazon for less than $30.
Stress isn't the problem. It's building aggression and territoriality as Zebulon matures. The same problems my stepdaughter is having with her three cats. I know Feliway did not work for her. She saw no difference at all in the levels of aggression. Others here had no luck with it either. We're leaving before I can order anything anyway. And as mentioned, ventilation dilutes it. Have you had any experience with it treating aggression and territoriality? We're also hoping for a cure, some permanent solution to the problem other an getting rid of one of these cats. We love both dearly. My husband said Zebulon should go if this continues since Zephyr was here first.

Quote:
Litter box problems are not all that unusual in kitties that had parts of their feet amputated, by the way. We see it at the shelter regularly... and cats that are declawed tend to bite more.
Hers don't bite at all. They're great with people.... but the litterbox issues and the aggression continues. She claims she loves her cats yet sees nothing wrong with declawing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats