U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2011, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,083 times
Unhappy Cat keeps getting recurring gum infections please help!

Hello I have a 9 year old kitty, who recently started getting gum infections. We take her into the vet and they say they dont know what the cause is, put her on medication for 5 days then the infection goes away..For about a month, and then my cat starts having problems eating and chewing her food so we take her into the vet, they put her on medication, and then the cycle repeats.
She has had about 3 cyles of medication.
Is there anything you guys can reccomended to help her? Maybe something natural that can build up her immune system?
or anything at all? I am really desperate to help her, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:29 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,630,726 times
Susan98, first thing right off the top of my head, your baby is not getting the proper nutrition she needs to stay healthy. You need to get her off dry food ASAP and on quality moist food. Good brands to buy? I have so many conflicts myself with this one, but the ones I do feed my cats are Newman's Own and Wellness Core.

If this was my cat, I would mix in with her food a pinch of Echenecia to help fight off the infections. Your cat will eventually become immune to the antibiotics, not respond, and that is exactly what is happening. Why? Because I go right back to the basics. She needs better food.

I would also recommend you start brushing your cat's teeth. If you don't know how, there are many good websites you can google to educate yourself.

I really hope for the best for your cat. Good luck!

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 02-06-2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 PM

2,694 posts, read 1,791,050 times
According to my ASPCA Complete Cat Care Manual, it could indicate an internal disease such as kidney disease, or Feline Immunodeficiency Virus. I hope it isnt' that serious. I once had a dog that was getting frequent ear infections. The vet claimed I wasn't using her meds correctly but I knew I was following instructions, so I found a new vet. Finally, I was able to get the new vet to take a culture and it turned out she had a very stubborn type of infection and needed different meds. Keep us posted!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,083 times
Thankyou so much for the replays =). I really appreciate it!
I hope its not that serious as well, Heidi do you remmber how long you put your dog on medication? I have only been doing it for about 5 days perhaps that isnt long enough?

Garden of Eden, do I just mix a pinch of Echenecia with water and give it to her orally? Do you use the actual plant? how often should I give it to her?
Because of where I live I will have to order some organic catfood online, and that might take a week or 2, can you reccomend anything I should feed her until the new cat food arrives? That could possibly help with her infection or just be overal good for her, she ate a little piece of the soft roast we had for dinner this evening but she certianly isnt herself.

Thankyou sooo much for you help!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 PM

6,366 posts, read 4,367,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan98 View Post

Because of where I live I will have to order some organic catfood online, and that might take a week or 2, can you reccomend anything I should feed her until the new cat food arrives?
If you have a Petco or PetsMart withing driving distance, they carry the canned food GOE mentioned.

If she were my cat I'd have her tested for FIV. The test runs around $10 where I live. But usually they test for FeLV also and charge $20 to $30. I'm assuming her teeth are clean and her guns are still getting infected. If she needs a teeth cleaning, have it done.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:59 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,161,322 times
CANS CANS CANS -- ONLY! Please cutoff dry NOW as GOE & others say. I'm so adamant over wet vs dry. Dry is like brushing teeth w/ popcorn. Would you go on a date w/ popcorn rather than an apple, if only 2 choices you had? No. Also, HYDRATION (or lack of) is SINGLE most IMPORTANT issue facing cats & especially older cats!

Absolutely test too.

Humane shelters will do it often times. Please do it quick tho, as w/ health time is of essence. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:05 AM

9,601 posts, read 4,125,899 times
Pet Grooming, Healthy Pet Supply and Pet Care Products | Oxyfresh.com

I adopted a cat with feline aids last year. Since they are prone to gum disease/infections, I started adding "Oxyfresh Pet Oral Hygine Solution" to my cat's water. So far, so good. At his one year checkup his gums were perfect.

I buy it at the vet's office. You only add one teaspoon per quart of water, so really, it is pretty inexpensive.

Please try it.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 AM

4,089 posts, read 3,941,612 times
I am sorry you are having this problem with your kitty.

First...find another vet. If you return to a vet three times for the same problem and they keep doing the same thing, and show no willingness to dig deeper, you need a better vet.

Hasn't blood work even been done on your kitty? A senior blood profile, including thyroid should be done. And as someone else mentioned test for FeLV/FIV.

And why hasn't a dental cleaning been suggested? Perhaps there are some rotting teeth that need to be removed.

This could be stomatitis and antibiotics are not the answer to that, do some research on stomatitis. A very painful disease of the soft tissues in the mouth.

So, I do urge you to get a second opinion.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 AM

2,457 posts, read 2,630,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I am sorry you are having this problem with your kitty.

First...find another vet. If you return to a vet three times for the same problem and they keep doing the same thing, and show no willingness to dig deeper, you need a better vet.

Hasn't blood work even been done on your kitty? A senior blood profile, including thyroid should be done. And as someone else mentioned test for FeLV/FIV.

And why hasn't a dental cleaning been suggested? Perhaps there are some rotting teeth that need to be removed.

This could be stomatitis and antibiotics are not the answer to that, do some research on stomatitis. A very painful disease of the soft tissues in the mouth.

So, I do urge you to get a second opinion.
Catsmom21, thank you. I was half asleep last night with my first post. As I went to bed, the thought crossed my mind why hasn't this vet done anything about this problem except to give your cat antibiotics? Has any blood work been done? And yes, very good question.....why hasn't your vet recommended a teeth cleaning?

RE: Echenecea>>>>Buy the capsules in either your grocery store or drug store, and very carefully, crack one open. Sprinkle a tiny tiny amount in with the food and mix it in. You would find this herb in the natural or organic section of your grocery story. I use Nature's Way.

Good luck! Your poor kitty must be in so much pain! You could also use Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy, a few drops on each ear, to calm you kitty. Whenever there is a dis-ease, or pain, believe me, your kitty is in distress.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 AM

5,804 posts, read 4,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Pet Grooming, Healthy Pet Supply and Pet Care Products | Oxyfresh.com

I adopted a cat with feline aids last year. Since they are prone to gum disease/infections, I started adding "Oxyfresh Pet Oral Hygine Solution" to my cat's water. So far, so good. At his one year checkup his gums were perfect.

I buy it at the vet's office. You only add one teaspoon per quart of water, so really, it is pretty inexpensive.

Please try it.
I'm using a drinkwell fountain for my cats. Has anyone here used this additive in a fountain? I'm wondering if it would be bad for the motor. My female cat is really difficult to do anything like brushing her teeth. So far her teeth are good but I worry about them as she gets older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats