Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 PM

434 posts, read 1,736,690 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this with hope that someone can give me a better way! My 13 year old Huckleberry gets constipated every now and then. He is on Lactulose and that has helped but he still has trouble sometimes. My vet said that is not unusual at his age and gave me some suggestions to try to prevent it but said sometimes he will need an ENEMA to get things going.

So, I bought the baby glycerin enemas and got ready. I decided to do it in a big walk-in shower for easy cleanup (and less escape routes) but my vet scared me about hurting him so much that I was a nervous wreck! I had a couple of glasses of wine while I was planning all of this out and that probably had something to do with the next decision to go into the shower naked once again for easier cleanup.

Fast forward 45 minutes to a crying, drunk, naked, vaseline covered woman in the shower with a pissed off, oil covered cat with my slobber all over his tail (hold cat with one hand..enema in the other...the tail gets held up how besides in my mouth?), and 4 unsuccessfully attempted anemas strewn about and I finally got it done.

He may have just pooped to end our suffering.
There must be a better way?

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 12:21 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Get real no salt butter let him eat it! That will keep him moving. It is what an old vet told me. The cat will eat what he needs when he needs.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:27 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
oh clawson.... lol. priceless. Your story had my sides hurting cracking up at work. My sympathy goes out to you as well, but for God's sake, yes! Try an easy-greaser of an idea like the no-salt butter, just to keep things moving along nicely.

The only thing I think that could have topped your story, would have been to fall asleep, kittypoo-smeared, wine numbed, naked and exhausted but blissful sleep... sideways in the shower of course.

Has your kitty forgiven you yet? <3

Old 07-20-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post
oh clawson.... lol. priceless. Your story had my sides hurting cracking up at work. My sympathy goes out to you as well, but for God's sake, yes! Try an easy-greaser of an idea like the no-salt butter, just to keep things moving along nicely.

The only thing I think that could have topped your story, would have been to fall asleep, kittypoo-smeared, wine numbed, naked and exhausted but blissful sleep... sideways in the shower of course.

Has your kitty forgiven you yet? <3

That is very nearly what happened. Thankfully he has forgiven me and is on my lap now. He won't eat the butter (tried that) and the vet said it HAS to be an enema because the problem is the "stuff" already in his intestines and nothing put in his "stomach end" will help once he gets clogged. I know it sounds funny and it was this morning once it was over but it sure wasn't last night!! If I could come up with something he would eat regularly to keep things moving it might help but he hates everything except his regular old dry food. I have to find something that will either keep him from getting clogged or take the vets word for it and give the enema. The reason it was such a panic last night was that the vet said if he hadn't pooped by morning I had to bring him in and have him sedated and the "clog" removed! This did not sound fun for either of us as my poor cat panics and goes feral when we have to go to the vet. I guess it would have been easier for ME just to take him to the vet but he HATES it so much and is upset for days! (not that what we went through last night was much better ) If I could figure out something to do at home or a less traumatic way to do the enema it would be much better for him!! I just couldn't get the "mechanics" of it down?

I guess this is a stupid question... but I really do need suggestions because neither one of us can go through another enema experience like that!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:11 PM

I have just burned 216 calories by laughing so hard!! (yay)

my stomach will hurt in the morning. ya.... no wait, its hurting now!

So check this out!! The consensus for your kitty-poo to be more flowing and not so clogged-ish is to.. contaminate his/her drinking water, with BENEFIBER!!!!! Sprinkle the benefiber into the water- and if the cat suspects what you are doing.. quickly look the other way and pretend you were heavily involved in doing somethign else. Better yet, try mixing it in the food (which would be EASIER if the cat liked wet cat food... mixing into dry food is...not going to work, lol)

While so many things will help clear up the clogs in the digestive tracks.... how many of them do you really think you can force your kitty to eat? lol - so the suggestion was flavorless, pretty much substance-less fiber. I'll have you know that older cats that have intestinal problems that require such extremeties as enemas, are usually encouraged to wean off the dry-food. (I know they love it I'm sorry) ...and to concentrate more on the wet cat food (more protien and fiber rich diet) in the cans.

sprinkle sprinkle?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:13 PM

I'm replying to myself on this one, I know...

You don't "ask" a cat to eat butter btw.... you stick your finger in it, then you stick your finger in the cat's mouth if you aim for coating the roof of their mouth... there's not much they can do about it.

a brainstorm!! Coat the benefiber in butter!! ooooooooh.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post
I'm replying to myself on this one, I know...

You don't "ask" a cat to eat butter btw.... you stick your finger in it, then you stick your finger in the cat's mouth if you aim for coating the roof of their mouth... there's not much they can do about it.

a brainstorm!! Coat the benefiber in butter!! ooooooooh.
Hey I might try that! (you are quite the comedian yourself by the way )

I just hate to force things on him as we have always had this relationship of equality (rather than pet and owner) and respect for not putting unwanted things in each others mouths (or under each others beds )

The only thing he will voluntarily eat besides dry food is pill pockets. Hmmm... I'm forming a recipe.... pill pocket chowder with a butter and benefiber relish?

Going to try that tonight...must get unsalted butter at the store...and the Benefiber...

Worth a try!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:51 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,202 times
ROFL...I wish I would have read this thread earlier...I got wrapped up in the Michael Vick thread and then some back and forth drivel *whatever* with a *%$&*%#.....Ok, I'll refrain ...lol

Anyways this thread would have been more entertaining...and I'm not laughing at you clawson...I'm laughing with you...

clawson & fiddlekitten, you both certainly have a way with the visuals...lol

I could never give a cat an enema...OMG...don't forget, cats have a very good memory!...just watch out when you're not looking...kitties have a way of getting you back...

Old 07-20-2007, 03:23 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
cuddint u just feed it some ex-lax?

Old 07-20-2007, 03:58 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
NO exlax can kill the cat!

Would you rather find a way to get butter or fight the other end an possible rip his rectum in the process. After a while you will beable to tell when he is lube thru out, then you can cut back to a maintance dose. Perhaps every other day the 1 or 2 days a week.

Got any farmers cows or goats, Feed him that. I have never seen a farm cat plugged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats