U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM

333 posts, read 910,253 times

Advertisements

I have three kitties...three boxes. They definitely favor two of the three for #2. But it's not uncommon to find clumps and dumps in all three. >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,888,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Ok, does anyone else have cats who do this, or are mine weird (ok, weirder than usual)?

We have 2 cats and 2 litter boxes. Both cats use one box to pee and the other box to poop. There's never poop in the pee box and there's rarely any pee in the poop box, it's pretty much exclusive.

What's up with that? I think it's kind of cute.
We have 3 cats and 4 litter boxes. One box has both. One has mostly urine and the other, next to it, has mostly feces. The 4th box is seldom used but mostly for urine when it is.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 AM

1,696 posts, read 3,990,697 times
thats wild. kinda cool though, wish my cats would do that LOL

Old 02-09-2011, 03:44 PM

6,184 posts, read 12,613,486 times
Quote:
Ok, does anyone else have cats who do this, or are mine weird (ok, weirder than usual)?

We have 2 cats and 2 litter boxes. Both cats use one box to pee and the other box to poop. There's never poop in the pee box and there's rarely any pee in the poop box, it's pretty much exclusive.

This is actually quite common. It's the main reason why it is always recommended that you have at least two litter boxes for one cat. The "rule of thumb" is one box per cat, plus one. Two cats three boxes, three cats four boxes, etc.

If two is working for you with two cats, that's great.

Many cats prefer to poop in one and pee in the other. It's instinctual to not leave all their waste in the same place.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:21 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,386,360 times
We used to have two boxes about 3 feet from each other and the cats did the same thing!

We now have one HUGE box that seems to fit both functions!

Our two kittens would use this mondo box at the same time. We used to joke that they were just gossiping about the other cats. That would explain the giggling.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,599 times
Smile It does happen, we are proof in the cat box...lol.

I came on this profile to find out why my 3 cats use one box for pee, and one for poo...So, there are cats that do this...I have had many cats in my life time, but this is the first that I have seen this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post
I have three cats six litter trays all end up with both pee and poo in them.

I have never had cats that use one litter tray for a pee and another for a poo, I don't know if its strange or not.

I have seen my boys queue up/line up to use one litter tray now that was comical.

They love to soil a litter tray I have just cleaned, little gits.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:08 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,057,741 times
Quote:

I have the exact situation.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 AM

117 posts, read 205,594 times
so funny and cute! i have 2 cats and 4 boxes. one cat uses the most enormous one in the library. the other cat uses the one in the laundry room, which is a "smart cat" box (no she's not that smart lol, any cat can use it. it's a box with the entry hole on top). when the laundry-box cat feels like it, she'll use the 3rd upstairs one. they only use downstairs one for emergencies- ie, when super lazy and don't want to run upstairs haha.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 AM

32,364 posts, read 59,787,282 times
My spouse's cat, Bear, had a box on the second floor, and one in the basement. About after a month of us living in a new house, we started to notice him trotting down from the second floor with great purpose, and heading into the basement. A few minutes later, he'd reappear on the first floor, and a few minutes after that, a horrid smell would waft up after him. LOL He used the basement box when he knew he was going to be extra stinky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats