Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times

Advertisements

another thread got me thinking about this... but how did (do) you come up with your pets names?

for me, it depends claudia and janie (both RIP) just looked like a claudia (kind of 'itchy with a b') LOL, and janie looked like... well, a sweet little country tortie whose name should be janie! lol

about half my cats have japanese names, based on what ever anime i was into at the time. and bella was during my twilight phase LOLOLOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times
My methods are a bit different then most. I actually allow the cat to tell me what his or her name is. It works with "feelings" or how a cat acts, or how a cat looks. Some of my cats actually telepathically told me when I asked them what they wished to be called by me.

My Megan prefers so many names she makes me laugh, depending on her mood or what day it is, I suppose. She goes by Megan, Muffy, Lady Megan, Katie Lady (her deceased biological sister), love-muffin.........(grin)......but that is my Megan. LOL

Old 02-10-2011, 01:51 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Our recently departed Nacho was the color of nacho cheese and had a notch in his ear.

Bongo was just a natural name for him. He was about as graceful as an inebriated clown, and his full name was Bouncing Baby Bongo Boy even when he was a 14 pound lanky adult kitty.

Russell was named that because we know it's him whenever we hear a rustling sound in a faraway room.

Sidia was named after the beautiful shiny obsidian color of her fur as a young kitten, but we're starting to see a subtle stripe pattern now at five months when the light is just right.

Bebe was a little baby kitty when we first got her, and my wife called her a "little beebee..."

Libby was a "little bit" when we first got her. Now she's Libberoni Pony because I swear she's part horse from the way she gallops around.

Not sure where Suki got her name ... I think my wife just tried different names on her until one fit. I'm sure Suki had a lot to do with it, though, since she was master of the house for almost 17 years.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Barbra Ann had a straight nose like Barbra Streisand

Boyfriend was a stray who showed up while Barbra was in heat (she was a stray too )

Oscar named after my beloved grandfather - I just couldn't name my son Oscar

Langley after my favorite soap opera character about 20 years ago - Langley Wollingford from All My Children-Phoebe's 2nd husband

Stripey because he was
Pumpkin cause of his color
Junior cause he looked just like Pumpkin
Alice from Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
and on and on it goes

Old 02-10-2011, 05:08 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Puppy got his name because I'd been in a long-running debate with a friend over whether to adopt a young cat or a young dog. I told him that my only compromise would be to adopt a kitten and name it "Puppy." The same friend ended up bringing me, for an early Christmas surprise in 1992, a pair of rescued sibling kittens. Ergo, the male (and significantly larger) cat automatically got dubbed "Puppy."

His scrawny and outspoken (to this day) sister, the runt of the litter, didn't take much longer to name. I thought she resembled a certain furry rodent as she scampered around her new home while meowing non-stop, "all legs and tail." But "Mongoose" didn't work for me. Then I conjured up an image of a similar animal, and at the same time visualized the Isabel Sanford character on "The Jeffersons." Yes!!! Weasie.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
My cats tell me what their names are. Some are instantaneous, but some have taken a week or two.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
We called our childhood cat "Kitty" -- I guess we thought we were being clever -- until she was 4 or 5 years old. Then we started calling her Muffy; I can't remember why.

Our current cats are tuxedo cats. They were strays that we were looking after outdoors until we could figure out what to do with them. I named them after things that are black and white -- Cookie and Checkers -- and it's really funny how their names really suit them. Cookie, the female, is very dainty and feminine, while Checkers is a rough-and-tumble gamester.

It's funny because the spouse says he knew I'd never take those cats to a shelter or rescue once I named them. Guess he was right -- our elderly cat died, so we took them in.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:16 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
My methods are a bit different then most. I actually allow the cat to tell me what his or her name is. It works with "feelings" or how a cat acts, or how a cat looks. Some of my cats actually telepathically told me when I asked them what they wished to be called by me.

My Megan prefers so many names she makes me laugh, depending on her mood or what day it is, I suppose. She goes by Megan, Muffy, Lady Megan, Katie Lady (her deceased biological sister), love-muffin.........(grin)......but that is my Megan. LOL

GMTA as that is the way my cats are named, also. They do tell me their names, and how else could it be but telepathically? Of the four I have now, two were instantaneous, from the first meeting. Our eyes met and I knew what her name was, in each instance. The third, well I was calling her Socks just to be calling her something, as I fed her off the porch and waited for her to trust me...all I ever saw at first was the white socks on her hind feet disappearing over the railing.

But the first time she stopped in the grass and looked up at me, and our eyes met, I knew what her name was.

My only boy currently, well..he took his time..almost two weeks from the time I rescued him in a rain storm as a tiny tiny five week old bit of red fluff...until he finally one night, in fact it was the first night he was able to climb up onto the bed without help. He was so proud of himself as he stepped onto my chest and gazed into my eyes and told me his name.

Nicknames now....it's never clear to me whether I choose the nicknames or not, but I suspect it's them...somehow they let me know if they like a term of endearment, or if they don't.

Same with their songs. Each cat has a song, and the tune is somehow chosen by the cat.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
My cats tell me what their names are. Some are instantaneous, but some have taken a week or two.
This is kind of my method....they don't so much tell me as one day the name is just obvious to me. My rabbit Dervish is a good example....she was always so happy and energetic doing her bunny "binkies" that the only thing I could call her was Dervish.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Mostly my cats come to me with names. I did get to name my kitten this summer. She is black and the tips of her 2 middle toes on both back feet are bright white so I named her Tippy Toes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats