Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times

Advertisements

My cat always has 1 or 2 whiskers that looks crimped. They aren't bent or crooked, just crimped.

Any idea why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 05:57 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
A picture would help. I'm not quite sure that I know what you mean by "crimped" (I think I know but I've never seen it in a cat's whisker, so just to be sure...)

Old 02-12-2011, 06:32 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I think I know what you mean. The only time my cat's whiskers looked like that was when he got too close to a candle.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Just the way the whiskers grow, I would guess. What you might call a "wild hair".

Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
When we first got our cat (we adopted him full-grown from the Humane Society), I thought he had scorched eyebrows, because the very end of each eyebrow hair was just as twisty as a corkscrew. I was muttering anathemas to myself upon the person who was thoughtless enough to let a cat get near a candle, in fact.

Then after a few months, I noticed a new eyebrow hair emerging (they kind of stand out on him, because he's got white eyebrows on a black forehead), and lo and behold, that brand-new eyebrow hair had the same twisty end that all the other ones did. And I knew he hadn't gotten anywhere near a candle while he was living with us.

He's been with us now for three years, and his eyebrows always have twisty corkscrew-shaped ends. I can only assume that there is something about the way the hair follicles generate a new hair that causes the end of it to emerge curly. I seem to recall reading somewhere that in humans, the shaft of a straight hair is round or cylindrical while the shaft of a curly hair is flat, allowing it to curl up, and I wonder if somehow the first centimeter or so of each eyebrow hair comes out flat rather than round. I suspect your kitty has a similar quirk with his or her whiskers.

Whatever the reason, it's one of the quirks I love about our fur-kid, so I just grin whenever I see his curly-ended eyebrows.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 50,401 times
Crimped whiskers are a trait of the American Wirehair, and also some of the Rex cats. Likely your cat just has a bit of crimpy ancestry I have 4 sibling cats, 1 is dead straight hair, the other 3 have varying degrees of crimpiness throughout their coats and whiskers, with the tiniest girl being crimpy from head to toe! Nothing to worry about.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:34 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
My Mak has one whisker on the left side that is "wavy" I call it the evil whisker LOL One day it will fall out and I will be sad. I wonder if the new one will grow back wavy or straight.

My aunt has a black cat with all black whiskers except for one white one over his right eyebrow. They call that the "lucky eyebrow". Every time he loses it, it always grows back in white

Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
My kitty has one of that when she first started out with us.
I don't think it is anything "damaging" to the cat...
Hers kinda straighten out after 6 months with us... we dunno how she got that one crimpled whiskers nor how that crimpled whiskers went away.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 49,787 times
Default Crimped whiskers

hello - I too have a kitten that has crinkled/crimped whiskers. I adopted him on the 20th of September from an animal rescue. He is only about 4-5 weeks old. He has fluffy kitten fur that feels thick and perhaps some underfur that is crinkled - he is not smooth and slick as my other older short hair cats.

Please note his crinkled/crimped whiskers in the photo; they look as if someone took a little tiny crimping iron to them - lol!!!!
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...21070160_n.jpg

On a side note:
I had two sibling cats and one always seemed to have broken and frayed whiskers - it looked really bad and I did not know what she was doing to keep breaking them. One day I witnessed her sister groom her, and she was chewing on her whiskers!!!!
Mystery Solved

Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Just a bit of texture - like curly hair. But most likely there is a bit of a rex gene somewhere in the genetic make up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats