U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 PM

348 posts, read 1,631,961 times

Advertisements

....per the doctor back when I took my baby for his annual check-up back in March. My cat weighs 17 lbs--I've never overfed him, the doctor said he's just a 'big cat' but that he does need to lose some weight & advised me to cut his food intake (I only feed him about 2/4 cup of food a day) and supplement it by feeding him green beans from the can. I almost laughed in her face, but she was serious. I guess they are safe for cats & can maybe be a supplement to the normal dry food I feed him.

Has anyone ever done this before??? It doesn't look like he's lost any weight, but how can he not? Should I be concerned? He's always been a very healthy cat.

Just had this on my mind tonight & was wondering if anyone else has done this before or had any advice on how to help him lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 11:43 PM

8,167 posts, read 16,910,144 times
No they will not hurt him but have you had his thyriod checked? Does the green beans have salt in them? If yes try salt free.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:46 PM

348 posts, read 1,631,961 times
Katie, I don't think I've had that checked--is that something that the vet usually checks out during a check-up? Good to know--I need some more, so will definitely look for the low sodium/salt-free kind, thanks! He loves them, too--he got sick the very first time I fed them to him, but he's adjusted now & craves them haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
No they will not hurt him but have you had his thyriod checked? Does the green beans have salt in them? If yes try salt free.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:30 AM

Thyriod test is a blood test, talk to your vet about it. I am wondering how eating green beans made him sick?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:24 PM

2,522 posts, read 393,813 times
Default Dry food is the biggest cause of obesity in cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
....per the doctor back when I took my baby for his annual check-up back in March. My cat weighs 17 lbs--I've never overfed him, the doctor said he's just a 'big cat' but that he does need to lose some weight & advised me to cut his food intake (I only feed him about 2/4 cup of food a day) and supplement it by feeding him green beans from the can. I almost laughed in her face, but she was serious. I guess they are safe for cats & can maybe be a supplement to the normal dry food I feed him.

Has anyone ever done this before??? It doesn't look like he's lost any weight, but how can he not? Should I be concerned? He's always been a very healthy cat.

Just had this on my mind tonight & was wondering if anyone else has done this before or had any advice on how to help him lose weight.
No, this is not good advice. Why would you feed a cat green beans? Cats are obligate carnivores. They require high levels of protein and are not built to digest green beans. The biggest cause of obesity in cats is dry food. If you want your kitty to loose weight, switch her to a high-quality canned food, like Wellness, and always mix a little extra water in with the food. I feed my cat a home-made all-meat raw food diet. You can find the recipe here: Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

Old 08-13-2007, 09:14 PM

Cats do eat green, cat grass which is oats, cat nip, green parts of flowers, my cat would eat the babies off my spider plant & hay for my horses. yes green beans, peas & carrrots [all her choice not mine] but she never got sick. weight was 10 lbs from 1 year to 10 whenI had to put her to sleep for other reasons. she loved her purina cat chow!!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:52 PM

617 posts, read 768,081 times
Default Green beans.

Phooey....cats love green beans, its one of the best diets for losing weight possible. I once had a cat name Blackbird that ate broccoli..

Green beans is a proven diet , and especially for dogs too.

Losing weight in pets means feeding a strict AMOUNT at all times.

And most of all....exercise

Old 08-14-2007, 01:04 AM

2,522 posts, read 393,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
Phooey....cats love green beans, its one of the best diets for losing weight possible. I once had a cat name Blackbird that ate broccoli..

Green beans is a proven diet , and especially for dogs too.

Losing weight in pets means feeding a strict AMOUNT at all times.

And most of all....exercise
There are no studies of cats and green beans. (If you can find one, I'd love to see it.) In any case, cats lack the necessary enzymes to break down plant matter on a cellular level. Plant matter, especially vegetables and greens, represent dietary bulk - none of the nutrients are either bioavailable or essential to the cat - and it is usually simply passed through the digestive tract.

greenie

Old 08-24-2007, 07:02 PM

5 posts, read 28,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Plant matter, especially vegetables and greens, represent dietary bulk - none of the nutrients are either bioavailable or essential to the cat - and it is usually simply passed through the digestive tract.

greenie

Which is why cats seek it out to eat. I only have silk plants in my home because when I had real ones, my cats would eat them. Try and KEEP a cat from eating a plant! They do so for roughage. It keeps them regular.
I have a ficus tree with straw in the top of the planter. My cat keeps eating it. I'm looking for a way to keep her out of it.
Everything else you said about them eating raw is correct. I'm feeding my baby Wellness now and want to start processing raw meals for her soon.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 16,470 times
Default our house cat likes to eat Broccoli

li and Runner Beans and Butter Beans, the leaves from some of the house plants but I kind of figure she does this to make herself sick so she can bring up those fur balls. She is 10 years old and is not overweight. She's got a really good body and she doesn't eat too much. She likes to sit with us on our kitchen table when we eat our meals. Sometime I think we should give her her own plate so that she can eat be like us and eat whilst we eat our meals, maybe she is like this because she does not go out side. She needs constant caresses and cuddles and dribbles lots in the process and sleeps in our bed. As far as cat food is concerned we mostly feed her fish, Salmon, Tuna and Trout. She also loves to eat prawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats