Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 AM

281 posts, read 869,938 times

Advertisements

I adopted Smokey a few months ago. Once we got his tummy trouble settled he's been doing so good. He's gained weight and is where he needs to be.

The past week however, he just started vomiting once a day. This went on for 3 days, and on the 4th day he stopped eating his food. He would only drink. He's been going potty just fine.
He started acting less playful, so I took him into the vet this morning. They said that they didn't think it was a hairball, or obstruction. Gave him a shot for nausea and said not to feed him for 24 hours. This medicine was called "cerenex" and it seemed to knock him out for a long time.

I'm still worried about this. I wanted the vet to do an xray but he didn't think it was necessary.

I have another question too, will a cat that has been going to the litter box just fine start going on a chair he sleeps in when he is ill? For two nights in a row, he gets up and goes pee on the chair. This is not like him, cause he's been good with going to his litter. Any advice or thoughts would help me out. He's my first fur baby and I'm nervous that I'm doing something wrong. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 AM

573 posts, read 971,014 times
Don't have a cat, but we do have a dog with a sensitive stomach. I would bet that there is something he ate or can get at that is upsetting him. When our dog threw up every morning for a few days we figured out it was because she was getting food she should not have. She basically can only tolerate chicken and her regular dry dog food. I would check around the house and see if there is anything your cat may have gotten into.

Is it possible he had contact with other animals? Has anyone else been feeding him things he should not have? These are things you have to consider as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:20 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
I adopted Smokey a few months ago. Once we got his tummy trouble settled he's been doing so good. He's gained weight and is where he needs to be.

The past week however, he just started vomiting once a day. This went on for 3 days, and on the 4th day he stopped eating his food. He would only drink. He's been going potty just fine.
He started acting less playful, so I took him into the vet this morning. They said that they didn't think it was a hairball, or obstruction. Gave him a shot for nausea and said not to feed him for 24 hours. This medicine was called "cerenex" and it seemed to knock him out for a long time.

I'm still worried about this. I wanted the vet to do an xray but he didn't think it was necessary.

I have another question too, will a cat that has been going to the litter box just fine start going on a chair he sleeps in when he is ill? For two nights in a row, he gets up and goes pee on the chair. This is not like him, cause he's been good with going to his litter. Any advice or thoughts would help me out. He's my first fur baby and I'm nervous that I'm doing something wrong. Thank you.
A cat that is sick will sometimes stop using their litterbox.

Did this happen after you gave him the medication? If so, maybe the meds are responsible, especially if they dope him up a little.

If this happened before the meds, I hope you told the vet about it. Your kitty could have a urinary infection.

This IS NOT your problem now, but since you are a newby, I want to tell you this, just so you know. If you ever see your cat straining to pee, not peeing, or crying when he pees, it is an EMERGENCY, especially since he is a boy. Boys, especially, can get blocked from urinary stones and can quickly die if not taken to the vet ASAP.

You sound like you are going to be a very good pet owner, your kitty is lucky to have somebody like you.

If you have questions, don't be afraid to call your vet. Sometimes you only need to talk to a technician to calm your fears, especially since you are a first timer.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:15 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Do hang in there. Most likely this is minor. But as said, please consult your vet asap if anything worsens/changes. It is hard for anyone here to give advice. I would keep close tabs w/ your vet to alert them of anything you don't like or understand. I know it can be stressful w/ 1st kitty but I ALWAYS worry even after having had a few in my life.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
I would bring him back and get a urinalysis just in case. If you're not satisfied with the way the vet is handling things, you might want to look for another vet.

Keep us posted on Smokey.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
I would get a second opinion. If he is no longer eating solid food, then something is wrong, especially if he is not using his litterbox properly.

I agree about the urinalysis and/or bloodwork. If your vet is not supportive, then you need to find a vet that will listen to you.

Not to alarm you but this sounds like it *may* be a kidney issue. I would consult with another vet and have labwork done if you have the funds.

In the meantime, I would try to get Smokey to start eating again. I would try either baby chicken food, hard-boiled eggs or cooked chicken and rice. If he reacts positively, then you can be sure that he's having trouble with his kidneys. Otherwise, it may be a urinary issue or just an upset tummy, although I have never seen just an upset tummy cause the symptoms that you have described.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
I agree with all ^^^ posters. I too want to stress that you are not causing anything and to be nervous is just normal. I urge you to have blood work done, a urinalysis done, and please, if your vet does not agree to do this, find another one immediately. In these days, you really have to be assertive at times in order for some vets to do as you wish. Remember, hon, you are this baby's Mommy and you have the right to insist certain tests be done to rule out certain problems.

(Crossing all paws here that you are able to financially have these tests done.....)

Your kitty's symptoms sounds to me as though he might be heading toward kidney problems. Kidney problems are nothing to take lightly, for they can end up fatally injuring your baby. I agree with Starla, that the symptoms your kitty is displaying is not "just an upset tummy". I have more then one baby who has kidney disease, and I have learned not to take anything out of the ordinary lightly.

Best of luck. I am praying for you and kitty. Please keep us posted.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,815 times
Hi, Heart,

Wishing you the best and these situations CAN resolve, but two things I would wonder about. One is that maybe Smokey swallowed some string, or dental floss, or even too much of his own hair? Is the vomit showing any signs of blood and is it projectile at all? These symptoms might point toward intestional obstruction. Yes, the injection given (I don't remember the name of it) causes drowziness and there can be an episode or two of vomiting after it is given.

My sweet boy, not the same cat as above although both are sweet (this is a couple of years ago) was really fussing and cried when picked up although he did not cry when urinating nor was he straining; sure enough there was a spot of blood near the box. He was hospitalized for three days and dx with "feline lower urinary tract disease" but he survived! Now takes fluoxetine for spraying which developed after this episode and eats Rx food.

I agree with the posters above, unfortunately sometimes it is a middle of the night emergency....

Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
It could be that your kitty ingested an irritant or ate some contaminated food. If this continues much longer I would find a new vet who will do a complete work-up. I had a dog who was being treated for repeated ear infections but the vet just claimed I was not using the meds correctly. When I took her to a new vet I argued enough with him that he finally took a culture and discovered that she had been treated with the wrong meds for a very resistant type of infection. Also, as new owner may I suggest the ASPCA Complete Cat Care Manual? Of course, they always get sick when the vet's office is closed so it might help you to decide what is urgent and what can wait just while until morning. The combination of vomiting and peeing on the chair is odd and she just might be trying to tell you something - or not. You didn't say how old kitty is or whether blood work was taken or temp. Keep us posted as there are some caring people on C-D.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
I agree with the others that said if you are not sure about your vet seek a second opinion. Inappropriate urination can be sign of sickness. I would keep updating your current vet (if you trust him/her) of every new symptom and make sure they know about the peeing on the chair, that's important. If Smokey doesn't improve let the vet know, a good vet will explain what they think is going on and be happy to discuss it with you especially considering you are a new pet owner. They should always tell you what to look for; for example, "if Smokey vomits again tomorrow bring him back in" or "if he still seems lethargic by X day/time call and let me know." Talking with them may reassure you.

Btw I recommend Dr Pitcairns Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats; it's a great reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats