U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,429,214 times
Default Do people still really believe that black cats are bad luck?

We've all heard the legends about black cats being bad luck. I'm sure the stories go back hundreds of years.

Obviously, logically that is not the case. Some things, such as spiritual beliefs, are beyond logic. That said, I don't see black cats being unlucky as a spiritual belief. It's just silly.

There's plenty of info online about this topic.

I don't buy the notion that black cats are bad luck. Being a Christian, I don't really believe in luck anyway. Everything happens for a reason and God blesses us. Bad things happen, too. I'm not really sure there is such a thing as coincidental luck.

I had 4 cats at one time. Right now I have two. One of these cats I've had for 3 years now. Nothing terrible has happened to me. If you want to measure luck, I'm probably about as lucky as most. I feel blessed to have my family and my furry babies. Isn't it silly to think that cats really are bad luck? Do people actually believe in those superstitions?

According to this article all cats were considered good luck in ancient Egypt, while in Europe in the Middle Ages black cats were thought to be witches in cat form. Why are black cats bad luck? | Farmers' Almanac

My cats probably aren't pure black. Mr. Fuzzy's undercoat is a very dark brown and Tilly appears to have a tabby pattern if you look at her in the right light. Still, most would consider them black cats. http://ezinearticles.com/?Black-Cat-Superstition---Good-Luck-Or-Bad-Luck?&id=734413 (broken link)

Do people really still believe that black cats are bad luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,821,570 times
I doubt if many do. Possibly the association of black cats with bad luck came from their alleged association with witches. Anyway, it's silly. My little 'familiar' is a sweet cat.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:56 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,896 times
I do not think they are bad luck. My little La Brea (she's black, and when we found her she crawled up my husbands leg and wouldn't let go i.e. she's black and sticky) we've had her for about 5 years now and nothing terrible has happened.

Well, now that I think about it...........And she looks at me funny some times......................

Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 PM

6,455 posts, read 8,166,267 times
There's a local no-kill rescue that I donate to, and from whom I've adopted several of my kitties (one being all-black), and the president told us that they have a hard time getting homes for black cats.

This is just anecdotal, and she had no actual stats to back it up, but the feeling of the rescue members was that they can gets homes for black kittens just as easily as then can for all kittens, but once they become full-grown, the all-black ones are not as adoptable.

They seem to think that there is still a black cat/ bad luck stigma.

We love our Fletcher, who is all black! I do think that the black-cats-are-loud thing is true. Fletcher and nearly every black cat I know likes to "talk" and yell a lot.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM

7,661 posts, read 8,675,808 times
actually, now they are BASEMENT CATS!!! mwuuuhahahahahahhaaaa ....

seriously though, i had a little black cat for almost 18 years and never had any particular bad luck issues.....

there will always be people who believe in supersticions, for one reason or another.... but i don't think the feeling is as prevalent as it was in years past....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I do not think they are bad luck. My little La Brea (she's black, and when we found her she crawled up my husbands leg and wouldn't let go i.e. she's black and sticky) we've had her for about 5 years now and nothing terrible has happened.

Well, now that I think about it...........And she looks at me funny some times......................

LOVE that name and how she got it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
There's a local no-kill rescue that I donate to, and from whom I've adopted several of my kitties (one being all-black), and the president told us that they have a hard time getting homes for black cats.

This is just anecdotal, and she had no actual stats to back it up, but the feeling of the rescue members was that they can gets homes for black kittens just as easily as then can for all kittens, but once they become full-grown, the all-black ones are not as adoptable.

They seem to think that there is still a black cat/ bad luck stigma.

We love our Fletcher, who is all black! I do think that the black-cats-are-loud thing is true. Fletcher and nearly every black cat I know likes to "talk" and yell a lot.
black dogs in shelters have the same problem.... particularly larger black dogs.....

Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM

6,092 posts, read 5,062,839 times
The shelter I volunteer at has a harder time getting black cats adopted out. I don't know if it's because people think they're bad luck though, since black dogs are also less popular with people.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,429,214 times
I wonder why black dogs don't have the same reputation. We have a black dog as well.

My sister interviewed a shelter worker who said that black animals in general are harder to adopt out. I wonder why. I guess they just get passed over easier. Apparently at that shelter the dogs that were most often put down were black labs.

I guess people prefer other colors of animals over black animals.

Our black dog is one of the cutest I've ever seen and she has a very sweet personality. She was an oops puppy at the pet store. She had a brother as well. I'm not sure what happened to him.

To be honest, I think I prefer black cats and tabby cats over other colors. I know I shouldn't, since I have a two grays and tortoiseshell, but I do think that the tabby is attractive and the black cats have beautiful eyes, though they are difficult to photograph. That said, God gave me the babies I have and I wouldn't trade them for anything else. Personality and character are not dependent on color.

Good grief, it sounds like I'm talking about a person.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 PM

4,265 posts, read 7,114,355 times
I always thought they were good luck? Perhaps it's harder to adopt black cats cause it shows up more when they shed?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM

25,136 posts, read 30,803,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've heard the same thing. A woman who runs a rescue for tuxedo cats told me that at adoption fairs people don't give her booth a second look; they race right by and go to other booths with orange cats, grey cats, buff cats, calico cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
actually, now they are BASEMENT CATS!!! mwuuuhahahahahahhaaaa ....

Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 PM

520 posts, read 424,730 times
I love black cats and I have had two and both brought so much joy to my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats