U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,743,178 times
Default Need Advice- Cat Has Abcess, Vet?

My mother's cat loves to pick fights with all the other animals in the neighboorhood so it's not unusual for him to come home with cuts, scrapes, and welts. Unfortunately I just noticed that he has a large abcess. We are broke and really can't afford another vet bill. My question is this- I have topical spray disinfectant and pain killer, alcohol wipes, peroxide, and a full bottle of kitty antibiotics at home. Can I treat him myself or am I going to have to take him to the vet? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 PM

11,218 posts, read 15,465,313 times
If it's a "large" abcess, you might want to just bite the bullet and take the cat to the vet. I've treated my own cats' abcesses in the past (when I lived with housemates who had an extremely aggressive un-neutered male, and my females were both spayed and mostly docile). It is a -very- unnerving process, even with the small ones. And whatever you do, do NOT use rubbing alcohol on that abcess. Imagine how you would feel, if you had an infected, puss-filled open gaping wound on your leg, and someone thought it'd be a fun idea to pour a shot of vodka into the hole.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:36 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,069,847 times
Please get this poor animal to the vet. The abscess needs to be drained. Kitty skin heals faster than the tissue underneath and if it is very large it may require a drain.

To avoid this kind of vet visit in the future keep the cat inside.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,789,374 times
Depending upon where the abscess is, and if you have a strong stomach, AND if you know for absolute sure what you are doing, you can drain the abscess yourself.

One of my cats last year ended up with an abscess and no way was I going to attend to it myself, and I consider myself to have a strong stomach. That and I wasn't sure if this cat would cooperate with me, and I did not want to harm him any more then he was. I understand what it is like to be strapped for money, but in this case, I would sit down, see what I could do without for the next month, and get him to the vet. Your cat is seriously suffering right now.

For the time being, please give him something for pain, NOT aspirin or tylenol, though. IF you have cat herbal pain tinctures or the homeopathic remedy Arnica 12c (sold in health food stores to relieve pain, cost about $7 AND no higher then 30c IF they do not carry 12c), I encourage you to give him that, and Rescue Remedy. Anything stronger then herbal or homeopathic, I wouldn't recommend.

Oh, and as Anon said NO rubbing alcohol PLEASE!!! That is both dangerous and downright cruel. If that wound is deep, rubbing alcohol can cause serious tissue damage!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 PM

40 posts, read 53,518 times
you can depending...............if it is huge, it does occasionally require a drain. But, fortunately, the vast majority of abscesses will be drained by removing the scab, flushing with diluted betadyne (diluted with slightly warm water to make it look like iced tea color) many times and applying neosporin to the scab area a few times a day to keep it open for draining. Drained abscesses tend to heal very quickly. You must have a REALLY strong stomach! It smells HORRIBLE and certainly doesn't feel very good to drain and flush, so the cat should be of great temperament and you need quite a few hands. Hair is usually clipped away from the area before treatment to keep the hair from sticking into the wound area, and make sure you wipe all of the clipped areas with betadyne quite a few times to clean before the draining.

My opinion: let the vet do it, and occasionally they need antibiotics after

Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,936,051 times
It could get infected or worse yet if not treated properly lead to other issues. I'd take the cat to a vet and make sure the treatment is done right.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 AM

4,185 posts, read 4,372,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Please get this poor animal to the vet. The abscess needs to be drained. Kitty skin heals faster than the tissue underneath and if it is very large it may require a drain.

To avoid this kind of vet visit in the future keep the cat inside.

Agree 100% with every word.

Abscesses need veterinary attention. They need to be opened and drained. They have to be kept open and heal from the inside out. They need antibiotics that are prescribed by the vet for that cat, to fight infection.

A cat who is fighting that much should be tested for FeLV/FIV every three months. It'd be cheaper, since you are worried about costs, to keep him inside.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 AM

3,456 posts, read 4,645,569 times
I agree. Take him to the vet, especially if it is large and is, indeed, an abcess. The money you spend will be worth it as it is a loathsome experience to try to do it yourself, not to mention the consequences for the cat (and yourself) if you don't do it right; you could end up spending much more in the end.

Take him to the vet and ask if they have a payment plan.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,281 times
My cat developed a large abscess on his tummy - about the size of my palm. I couldn't afford another 400 dollar vet bill (for his previous abscess)!!so I decided to treat it myself ( I have a basic medical background). The abscess drained very well - serosanguinous drainage (bloody fluid). Within 24 hrs, the abscess was completely drained and healing nicely.
1. Apply warm/wet compress to wound - do not rub. Best to use clean cloth soaked in cooled off boiled water/salt solution. I used about 1 tblsp salt to a large bowl of water. Continue to apply compresses until the wound is almost drained. (The saline solution made with salt and water is good for cleansing and not as stingy as regular water).
2. I had a collection of abdominal pads, gauze pads but a very clean white cloth would work as a bandage. Cover the pad with Polysporin ointment and apply to the wound. I attached it with strips of fabric wound around the body. It took 2 strips of cloth to bind the wound, not too tight.
3. I also had a cone for his head to prevent him from licking and biting at the bandage.
4. Keep kitty in a safe place, away from other pets. Supply with fresh water and a bit of food and access to litter box.
5. Change dressing after 6 hours or so.
6. After 24 hrs, remove dressings, cone and check wound for healing. It should be dry, with no swelling.
My cat was happy to have all of the dressings and head gear removed. He began to purr which made me happy! The fur around the wound was stained with fluids, etc. and Casper will clean himself once he feels up to it. Just remember to be very gentle - kitty will be in a lot of pain from the open wound. It will sting!
Good luck!

Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 PM

24,685 posts, read 15,826,373 times
above post interesting but look at the date. She cat presented with abscess almost nine months ago. Surely hope OP got the cat to the vet and also had it neutered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats