Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

My precious unipuker finally found happiness with Welness cat food. When DH went to Petsmart to load up, he found it had been recalled so he bought Blue.
Blue makes unipuker sick so DH took it back and came home with canned Iams and Science Diet.

It has only been 1 meal so far but unipuker is OK. I don't have a lot of faith he will be able to tolerate the new foods and I don't know that they are proper nutrition either. So what cat food should we try since Wellness is not available and Blue makes him sick?

Anybody know when Petsmart will start carrying new Wellness again. It was so nice not to have to worry about barfing baby all those weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Well, I don't shop at Petsmart, but I just visited my local PetCo and Pet Supermarket, right now both places have sorted their inventory and have uneffected Wellness stock available in most flavors. So the Wellness situation at your local Petsmart might also be back to business as usual by now, maybe give them a call before you make the drive.

If your store doesn't have inventory and you are just looking for something to hold him over I'd suggest Natural Balance in whichever flavor is most like the Wellness flavor he likes, but it does have rice in it so it's not my favorite food for primary feeding. I'm not sure if NB is available at Petsmart - it is at the other two stores I mentioned.

The same stores also carry Merrick, but the texture of their original flavors (such as Thanksgiving Day Dinner, Cowboy Cookout, etc.) is so different from Wellness I suspect your boy wouldn't go for it. Worth a shot maybe. I should mention that I have noticed that the 5.5oz size contains barley, although the small 3 oz size does not - this seems to hold true across flavors. I stick with the grain-free small cans and check the labels. Merrick also makes a canned cat food called Before Grains which isn't quite the smooth pate that Wellness is, but is much closer in texture than their other line which is very chunky.

I honestly would not feed Science Diet or Iams. I'd take those cans back. Read the ingredients, you'll probably agree. Try the Fancy Feast flavors with the "classic" banner on the label instead. These are rough pate style. Avoid the flavors with wheat gluten and the like, that is in the other styles like the ones with gravy. You can find this type of Fancy Feast just about anywhere. Pet stores, grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations. The ingredients aren't the best quality so I wouldn't feed it exclusively long term but I do feed it as an occasional treat or as an emergency meal if I'm out of the good food at 6am and she's chewing on my ankles.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
I am not sure if you are willing to go as far as feeding your cat raw food, but in case you are, here is the link from my blog that carefully explains how to make it.

Best of luck, for I know how devastating this news about Wellness is affecting so many of us!

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...arnivores.html

Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
Natural Balance is only sold at Petco not Petsmart. But I feed Natural Balance, only the LID formulas, they are grain-free. Just from looking at Petsmart's website, it looks like By Nature is grain-free and looks ok. Petco has a larger variety of all natural and grain-free food so you may want to try there instead. There's Before Grain, Solid Gold, Merrick, Halo, Pinnacle ect.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:47 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Petsmart is discontinuing By Nature, but PetPeople carries it. I never shop at Petco, so I don't know if they have it. PetPeople carries a large variety of premium foods, though.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Petsmart is discontinuing By Nature, but PetPeople carries it. I never shop at Petco, so I don't know if they have it. PetPeople carries a large variety of premium foods, though.
From what I've heard of Petpeople on C-D, I would shop there if I could! I think they're only in the midwest...? I've lived on the east coast and now Texas and never had one in the area.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
There are several in the San Diego area.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Reminder, before switching to another brand based on a recall of current brand, check the FDA's recall list to see the history of your new choice in food. You may be switching from one with a minor problem to one with a history of problems. Many recalls have not even made it into the public information chain. So here is the FDA's link:
Pet Food Recall Products List

Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Try the Fancy Feast flavors with the "classic" banner on the label instead. These are rough pate style. the

None of my cats would eat the pate (flat) style for some reason. And now, Ruby who was adopted from a shelter that only served kibble will not eat ANY wet food at all, even the Fancy Feasts that all of my other cats loved.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Try the Fancy Feast flavors with the "classic" banner on the label instead. These are rough pate style. the

None of my cats would eat the pate (flat) style for some reason. And now, Ruby who was adopted from a shelter that only served kibble will not eat ANY wet food at all, even the Fancy Feasts that all of my other cats loved.
To get our clan to eat wet food (they REFUSED everything with a "texture."), but would nibble a bit on pate. I added a little water to the pate and they love it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats