Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It's called being horny. Happens to males of all species and at all ages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Is that the technical terms? LOL

All our females and males are neutered. All stay inside. Yet, stray cats hang around our windows at night... often spraying and getting everyone inside riled up.

We don't have a red porch light, so I don't know how they know we have a cat house here.
Too funny too funny! This thread has turned out to be a laugh relief! Thanks, you guys! Tried to rep you, Lola. Have to spread more around first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It's a technicality. Although I would have been the first to correct you by saying that only female cats "go into heat," you're absolutely right that males--by extension--do as well. It's just that vets always talk about female heat cycles when referring to estrus/egg release and, then, don't refer likewise to male cats b/c *technically* males aren't releasing eggs.

But your right: the males are--by extension--in heat, although you'd have to make up a word for male "cycles" b/c none [that I know of] exists among vet professionals.
Thanks, Starla! Thought for a minute there I was loosing it or something. I know better then to argue with a vet, so I just left her remarks as is. Whew! Yep, males definitely go into heat. I have a very USED shampooer to prove it. LOL LOL LOL

oops.....tried to rep you as well.......I must get busy here so that I rep you again!!! LOL

Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,615 times
Horny cats & red lights...ROFLMAO. Affection and sexual activity are separate in cats, thank goodness; can't always say that w/r/t the male of the HUMAN species!

Old 03-19-2011, 01:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Technically, males don't go into heat, but practically, they may as well! Cats are so much nicer to be around when they are 'neutralized'.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:14 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Technically, males don't go into heat, but practically, they may as well! Cats are so much nicer to be around when they are 'neutralized'.
I don't think I could live with an intact male cat. The smell alone would put me off. The spraying. The constant crying to go outside. No thanks. Off to the vet with them...........

Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It is a darn good thing that the cat in question who I was speaking to the vet about, has me as his Mom. I put his needs first, not mine. This little guy has struggled and fought so hard to not only stay alive but with my help, to embrace health.

Due to my "intuition" I again canceled surgery for him. He has too many problems, and on top of all that, my "gut" screamed that there is a possibility that he wouldn't survive the surgery.

No matter what some think, this little guy is sweet, gentle as a lamb, and an extremely "sensitive" cat. I will put up with the spraying, when it does happen, until my "intuition" directs me that it is safe for him to undergo surgery.

A good friend asked me after our Yoga class last week, would you rather have a pet or an animal? In this case, I replied, "an animal". I love him just the way he is. I wish sometimes there was an easier way to "neutralize" a male, but science just hasn't got the answer, and if they do, they aren't saying.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Is that the technical terms? LOL

All our females and males are neutered. All stay inside. Yet, stray cats hang around our windows at night... often spraying and getting everyone inside riled up.

We don't have a red porch light, so I don't know how they know we have a cat house here.
A more technical way to put it might be to use the term "in rut".

Old 03-21-2011, 07:16 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Our male cat had to have his anal glands expressed, I don't know why. He just seemed much better after that visit to the vet. He was fixed. Our other cats never had that problem, just the one...

Old 03-22-2011, 01:46 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
GOE: What sort of health problems does the "little guy" have? The sexual angst he is going through probably takes a good portion of his available energy away, which isn't good for his general health.

Poor kitty!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:17 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Catman, I understand where Garden is coming from with waiting on the neuter...one of my males had a fractured hind leg when I took him in, and I waited until he was well over a year before I had him neutered. I wanted to wait until his fracture had healed (which it did...the dr's said he would always have a hobble because he was still so young when it happened, but now he can run and jump with the best of them!) When there is anything bone-related going on, neutering is dangerous because it affects bone density, and also removing hormones affects growth. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that it is best to wait until an animal is sexually mature and the growth plates are all in-place before sterilizing. If there are other issues going on that affect the immune system, it's best to wait until health is restored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats