Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,633,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Nope. The seizure kitty, who takes medication 3 times a day, disappears under the bed

The FLUTD Kitty and the constipation kitty are on special diets

The kitten needs to be fed almost twice as often as the adults. That condition is temporary of course. I don't mind in the least. I prefer to sleep in my own bed, with my cats piled around me.

My cats don't disrupt my life, they ARE my life. My life revolves around them.

My cats are as healthy as they can be (aside from the aforementioned special needs). They get well checks twice a year, and go to the vet any time they are sick. I am not a hoarder simply because I prefer to be at home with my cats rather than traveling. I hate to be away from home, it's a genetic thing I think, my mother and siblings are all the same way.
God bless you, C21. I understand FULLY what it is to take care of SPECIAL needs cats. As you say, these cats ARE your life! It's called dedication and a firm decision to take care of these precious cats no matter what!

My hat is off to you! I understand the sacrifices involved! (((HUGS)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,345,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
While speaking to my vet on the phone yesterday, I mentioned that my boys seem to go into heat on a cyclical basis. I was told that male cats do not go into heat. OK.

Then can anyone explain what my cats do, yowling and spraying predictably more so every Spring and Fall, and every few weeks? If that isn't going into heat, what is?

AND, my next door neighbor has spayed female cats who has told me that the feral male toms around here, actually get up on her roof and second floor window, yowling at her females. Huh? If that isn't going in heat, what is?

Anyone with answers??? My vet told me only unspayed female cats go into heat. Hmmmm......
Just a difference in terminology. I've had guy friends who act like they get their period...

Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 AM

To clear up any misunderstandings, ALL my cats are speutered except for the one in discussion here. ALL. Some of you think you understand felines, but you don't. I myself am continually amazed at all I am learning and continue to learn.

Spayed WILD cats, YES do allow the mating process. ONLY though, when they say YES. Don't believe me? Non-the-less, it is true.

ROFLMAO Oh, if only some of you knew.........

Reverting AGAIN back to the subject......apologies for another detour....... I am so glad some of you have witnessed the phenomena I witness here, regarding males going into heat. Hmmmm.......you think I should "discuss" this with my vet? Nah! I have better things to do........LOL........besides what the "official" ruling is on cats, , it continues to change day to day here! lol

Old 03-23-2011, 11:15 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,464,967 times
All our pets are neutered. The critters that hang around our house, that don't belong to us, are neutered.
Neutering should be the "norm." IMHO
However, sometimes there are unusual circumstances. Again, just my humble opinion.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
However, sometimes there are unusual circumstances. Again, just my humble opinion.
Thank you, Lola. (((HUGS))) In my humble opinion, you are right.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,817,512 times
We had neutered inside cats and our neighbors had neutered outside cats who always came to our windows or porches to scream and holler and incite mayhem in our cats. So I guess neutering doesn't solve all male cat problems. I bet those neutered males would have had their way with our neutered females if they could get to them. How did they know we had cats inside?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We had neutered inside cats and our neighbors had neutered outside cats who always came to our windows or porches to scream and holler and incite mayhem in our cats. So I guess neutering doesn't solve all male cat problems. I bet those neutered males would have had their way with our neutered females if they could get to them. How did they know we had cats inside?
This is EXACTLY what I have been saying! Toms here have actually climbed the roof of my next door neighbor's house to get to the second floor because of her NEUTERED females. They then yowl and drive her nuts!

Neutered, or unaltered, the mating urge in felines is especially strong. Dealing mostly with wild/feral cats, I have seen it over and over again. Nothing anyone says will convince me of this otherwise.

Maybe I ought to set up my video cam so that I can "catch them in the act" and then send it to my vet. Hmmmm......maybe, you think, that might persuade her that yes, male cats do go into heat, and they don't especially need to be intact males? Hmmmm.......

Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,464,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
This is EXACTLY what I have been saying! Toms here have actually climbed the roof of my next door neighbor's house to get to the second floor because of her NEUTERED females. They then yowl and drive her nuts!

Neutered, or unaltered, the mating urge in felines is especially strong. Dealing mostly with wild/feral cats, I have seen it over and over again. Nothing anyone says will convince me of this otherwise.
Same goes on here. All our cats are neutered and indoor only cats. Sooooo what is the reason for the outside cats to hang out by our windows and doors at night? They spray and get our cats alllllll ticked off.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,817,512 times
Well "In heat" is a hormonal condition particular to females so that is why people are having a hard time with using "in heat" to describe males. Still we know something is going on. Like I said before they are horny.

Once (in high school)I had an unaltered male who was always getting in fights. I saved my babysitting money to take him to the vet, but he refused to operate on him saying it was too late and was more in his mind than anywhere else.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:13 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,556,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
For some reason you sound angry. .
Angry? LOL! No, I wasn't "angry", and I don't know where you got that from...I was simply stating my opinion, which is that it's better to wait until an animal has healed from whatever conditions he/she might have before going "under the knife". And just to be clear, all my cats have been spayed/neutered, but with the one who had a fracture when I rescued him I waited much longer than the "proper" time frame to have it done because I wanted him to have the best possible chance at healing, and I felt that neutering him while he was still obviously in pain and hobbling around might set him back in that healing process. He no longer hobbles at all, despite what the doctors said...I'm very glad I waited!
He recovered from his neuter really quickly and without any problems whatsoever, so it's not true that it's "harder" on the animal if it's older than 6 months when it's done...he was right as rain the very next day, and he was over a year old !

Quote:
I didn't see where anyone was being "judged." I think you're being a little harsh.
Not my intention to be "harsh" here, but I've certainly heard some harsh and judgmental opinions concerning this matter from plenty of people who think we're doing some kind of giant dis-service to our cats by not S/N'ing them before sexual maturity...many people believe it's best to have it done "the earlier the better", and I happen to disagree. I think an animal should be at least 6 months old before sterilizing. JMO.

Quote:
You're assuming the cat is pretty bad shape. My Spirit, a stray dumped off in our driveway, went to my vet (who has an excellent reputation) wormy, flea bitten, eat mites and a nasty festering 4 inch gash on his thigh. He came home that evening clean, fleeless, his wound abraded and sutured, ears completely cleaned AND neutered. As soon as I opened the carrier door he headed straight for the food and water bowls. He healed without incident and I found him a home. I have no hoarding tendencies so after vetting the cats I find them homes.
I have no way of knowing the shape this cat is in, only Garden knows...and if her gut is telling her to wait a bit longer, I commend her for listening to it. That's wonderful that you vet and re-home strays, and I'm glad the kitty in question had only minor issues to contend with. In a case like that, I think it's fine to S/N, because what you were dealing with were "surface" conditions which are easily addressed. This is much different than a cat who comes to a person on death's door with a severe immune-compromising condition...in that type of case, I do believe it's best to wait awhile and allow the animal to heal significantly and be in a place of strength prior to surgery so he/she has the best chance at recovering quickly and without incident. JMO...no, I don't have any science to back this up, it just seems like common sense, and it's what I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats