Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
And the emotional pulling away from friends and loved ones. The self isolation. Or not allowing anyone in their home where they had before the pets. That appears to be a trait in most hoarders. They start turning to animals to meet their normal human needs instead of human beings. At that point something in their minds is slipping.

This too is part of the mental illness or imbalance. Anthropomorphizing the animals they keep. Talking about them as though they were human with human thoughts and human feelings and ideas. I know studies have shown they do feel stress, fear, some form of joy or happiness, attachment to others such as owners or housemates but they are hardly *thinking* in human terms.

The most I had was 5 cats. That was because a roommate moved out and abandoned her 2 as I suspected she would. It wasn't as bad as I some may think. I scooped the pans twice a day if they used them and put the mixed wet/dry food down twice a day - before and after work. In those days of ignorance all the cats were allowed outside. I live in the country. In less than 2 years all 5 were gone.

Yep... sounds like a typical hoarder to me. In their minds only they can save the kitties and give them a good home.

Hoarders almost never fix their cats. Most can't afford to so make up all kinds of excuses. Same for vet care. Others wont spend the money to have it done. They'll have justifications for not doing it. Dealing with hoarders is probably the most frustrating things Rescues, Shelters and the Police have to deal with.

That is truly something to think about since cats will not usually run out the nearest open door when presented with a terrifying situation.

Actually, the hoarder I am dealing with right now has all of her dogs neutered and spayed..... well, except for one very elderly bassett hound fella..... and she spends a FORTUNE on vet care and food.....

BUT, she has over 60 dogs on her property.... 49 of which are supposed to be up for adoption....and she tries to do all the care herself.... she is in a semi-rural area and volunteers are in EXTREME short supply.... in the 3 months or so I have been trying to help her, she has taken in 3 more dogs.... I just want to throw my hands in the air.... if we do manage to get the adoptable dogs out, she will just bring more in .... and i am seeing stress / ocd behaviors in some of the dogs.... she has a good basic set up... she's on over a dozen acres, with probably 2-1/2 of that fenced in... has a 16-18 run heated kennel and an extra house that has been turned into a "dog house" .... but, there are at least 25 dogs that run loose in the fenced area ... in and out of her house and it is a MESS.... i recognize what i see on the animal hoarders show.... the dogs are never walked, never trained, no human attention or interaction.... and i really think that at least a couple have become unadoptable as a result......

i will keep trying to help these dogs for as long as i can... but realize that sooner or later, i am just going to have to walk away.... for my own sanity.... the chaos and drama and stress there is insane.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You forgot something............BEDBUGS!

The thought of staying in motels no longer appeals to me.
We didn't care for Motels or Hotels either. We did like to camp and travel though. BINGO!!! An RV. Buying a travel-trailer was the best thing we ever did. No one elses "cooties" have to be worried about and the three kitties go everywhere with us. They just spent a month in FL with us. We recently bought them a 12 X 12' screenroom with rain cover and with a floor so they can't escape. They'll get to spend more time outside with us next winter and and on long weekends in the campgounds.

Zebulon in the RV down in Ocala FL.

Kitties in their the bed on the cat tree in RV.

Waiting on line to use the one large litterpan. It was scooped 4 times a day. There were no accidents.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
now those are some happy kitties!!

LOVE the last picture of him waiting his turn.....

Last edited by latetotheparty; 03-23-2011 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: can't type....

Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Taking in strays as so many of us do where I live is not seem as hoarding because as soon as they're vetted we start looking for homes for them. We don't keep them telling ourselves no one will love them like we do. We kiss them goodbye, tell them we love them, shed a few tears and hand them over to their new family.
That's what we do, too...I'm at my limit as far as "permanent" pets go, but I take care of strays when they come to me, vet them, and work on finding good homes for them ASAP. It does break my heart a little bit every time I have to say goodbye, but I know it's better for all involved. It's gotten easier over time to let them go, but when I first started doing this I would cry a LOT ...not because I felt they'd be better off with me, but simply because I loved them and missed their company. Knowing they're in a good, loving home is worth every single tear, though !

Old 03-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Actually, the hoarder I am dealing with right now has all of her dogs neutered and spayed..... well, except for one very elderly bassett hound fella..... and she spends a FORTUNE on vet care and food.....
She may be taking in only neutered dogs. There was a place like that in NY when I lived there in the 1970s. But they also took in cats as long as they were fixed. Then homes would be sought. I don't know if they're still there. When I lived in NY I had more time to work with rescues and small shelters.

Quote:
BUT, she has over 60 dogs on her property.... 49 of which are supposed to be up for adoption....and she tries to do all the care herself.... she is in a semi-rural area and volunteers are in EXTREME short supply.... in the 3 months or so I have been trying to help her, she has taken in 3 more dogs.... I just want to throw my hands in the air.... if we do manage to get the adoptable dogs out, she will just bring more in .... and i am seeing stress / ocd behaviors in some of the dogs.... she has a good basic set up... she's on over a dozen acres, with probably 2-1/2 of that fenced in... has a 16-18 run heated kennel and an extra house that has been turned into a "dog house" .... but, there are at least 25 dogs that run loose in the fenced area ... in and out of her house and it is a MESS.... i recognize what i see on the animal hoarders show.... the dogs are never walked, never trained, no human attention or interaction.... and i really think that at least a couple have become unadoptable as a result......

i will keep trying to help these dogs for as long as i can... but realize that sooner or later, i am just going to have to walk away.... for my own sanity.... the chaos and drama and stress there is insane.....
OMG! This sounds like the place a little east of Nashville TN that was supported by people in the music industry. I was a volunteer there in the 1980s. I DID walk away - and yes, for my own sanity and peace of mind. After some months I couldn't handle it anymore. They closed her down a few years later. I recently found out she bought a place way out in the country and has over 100 cats in an old barn on the property. I haven't been out there to see if it's true. God help those cats if it is true..........

Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
now those are some happy kitties!!

LOVE the last picture of him waiting his turn.....
They are indeed happy and very loved kitties. Just out of sight is Zephyr sitting there waiting her turn. Zebulon is looking at her. It was the first time I saw all three lined up to use the pan and my camera was right there.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Luv, you of all people know I am at my limit here. Fortunately for these cats, they came to a person who was willing to go the extra mile for them. As for re-homing these guys? Some days I wish. They have so many issues, and no one in my opinion, would take on the joy of caring for them as I have, or given as much time into finding ways in which to help them. As I was told more then once by a vet, I should have considered euthanization. Hmmmm......would YOU adopt a cat that a vet sentenced to be euthanized? I seriously don't think so.

I am really glad this thread has come along for it has made me think. I have gotten in a rut and gotten so focused on the needs of these cats, that I have pushed my life aside. If you consider me a hoarder, then so be it. I on the other hand, consider myself too focused at times, "obsessive" regarding what I do. I am not only talking cats here. I have a tendency to go after something baring none, and I get to a point, that I have to literally shake myself, and say, "What are you doing?"

I have worked so hard, so long in gaining knowledge to bring health to these cats. I have sacrificed much, pushing aside my own needs. I know I am on the right path now with my cats, after years of self-sacrifice. So, knowing that, I am changing course beginning March 24, 2011. Oh, yes, my cats are a big priority in my life, but it is time for me to go after some of my own dreams. And, beginning tomorrow, I am doing that very thing, by taking my very first ballet class.

I dream of being a dancer, and with my "intensity and determination" as displayed here regarding my cats, you know?, I will achieve those dreams. I have my cats going in the right direction and they will keep going in that direction which is health for the compromised (past tense) bodies. Not only do I dream of teaching others how wonderful and precious felines truly are, but too, I wish to inspire people that one, it is never too late to follow your heart (dreams), and two, when you put your mind to something, anything is possible.

Thank you, Lola, for posting this thread.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM

Default Warning about rescues. :*(

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
That's what we do, too...I'm at my limit as far as "permanent" pets go, but I take care of strays when they come to me, vet them, and work on finding good homes for them ASAP. It does break my heart a little bit every time I have to say goodbye, but I know it's better for all involved. It's gotten easier over time to let them go, but when I first started doing this I would cry a LOT ...not because I felt they'd be better off with me, but simply because I loved them and missed their company. Knowing they're in a good, loving home is worth every single tear, though !
YES!!! Exactly. That's how I feel about it too. I still miss Koikatt so much and he's gone since last June. Sadly, the rescuer lied to me and gave him to her cousin in another town. She was to keep him at PetsMart until he was adopted. If no one adopted him in a few weeks I told her I would take him back. I dropped him off there with her. She had a few dogs she was trying to find homes for in the store. Three days later this "cousin" opened the door and he fled, never looking back. I was sick for a week over it. He was never found. She took his rabies tag off and he was not chipped. Some of these people in Rescue are not honest with the people they take cats and dogs from. I loved and cared for that cat for 6 months, had him completely vetted ($150) and got my heart broken because of that woman lying to me. When she told me what happened, a few months later, I could see she couldn't care less about the cat or my feelings. I was shocked at her attitude. I'm now thinking I don't want to go through this again with another cat. The two cats before Boikatt were also heart breaking so I've about had it.

Anyway, with three permanent cats, each has plenty of space and we have a personal relationship with each one. Each one gets plenty of our time and attention and love and we still have time for our own lives. We live with them, not for them. This would not be possible with a large number of cats.

Last edited by =^..^=; 03-23-2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Garden, I'd never call you a hoarder. The care you give your cats is remarkable.
I'm really glad your doing a little extra for yourself. Hope you love the ballet classes!
Oddly, when my cat Patty, um, cleans herself with her leg stretched up she always makes me think of a ballerina although you're the only (future) actual ballerina I'd dare say that to.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Garden, I'd never call you a hoarder. The care you give your cats is remarkable.
I'm really glad your doing a little extra for yourself. Hope you love the ballet classes!
Oddly, when my cat Patty, um, cleans herself with her leg stretched up she always makes me think of a ballerina although you're the only (future) actual ballerina I'd dare say that to.
Thank you, and bless you! It is time for me to do for me. It took about a rocket blast to get me to even want to leave my "nest" here, yet it happened and I am glad it happened.

((HUGS))) for saying what you did. It really helped in ways you have no idea!

.......DARN IT! Every time I hit the rep button for anyone, I have to spread more around. .........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats