Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

You may remember my granddaughter saving a kitten on a TN interstate a few months ago. It was a dangerous risk she took. Foolish one might say. One of her 2 roommates was allergic and asked her to get rid of the kitten. In love with the little kitty already, she refused. The other gal got papers from her Dr and was able to get out of the lease. She and the other girl are now looking for another roommate. As long as my granddaughter has breath, this saved kitty has a forever home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
What a wonderful story!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I'm glad for everybody involved but especially for the allergic roommate. Our two grown kids grew up from day one with cats and had no allergic reaction and both loved cats. But only 3 months after going away to college, each one returned with horrible cat allergies. They were miserable whenever they came home. I made them take meds before I would get rid of my beloved cats.

Our daughter had about 9 months after she graduated before she got a job and she lived with us. I actually tried to rehome at least one cat hoping that would help the problem. But the lady I was going to give my cat to was very fragile financially and was going to make Oscar an outside cat. That was it- no rehoming my precious baby. My grown baby would have been just as allergic with one cat as she was with two cats. She finally moved out and everybody settled down. Still when she visits I make her take meds if she starts to complain. I'm still mad at myself for even thinking of giving Oscar away.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
You have a strong willed granddaughter, you must be proud. Bless her heart.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
What a great story! Cheers for the granddaughter.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm glad for everybody involved but especially for the allergic roommate. Our two grown kids grew up from day one with cats and had no allergic reaction and both loved cats.

Still when she visits I make her take meds if she starts to complain. I'm still mad at myself for even thinking of giving Oscar away.
Snips.

It's sad when people develop allergies to the cats of their parents or roommates. Everyone is in a tough position. In the end the cat usually suffers the most. In so many cases the cat/cats end up losing their home if not their lives. It may be selfish of me but I would never give up one of my cats, net one, for a allergic family member. And I do love my family.

I'm glad you still have Oscar.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM

41 posts, read 49,166 times
I love stories with a happier ending. I'd do the same thing if I were your granddaughter. Way to go!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
You have a strong willed granddaughter, you must be proud. Bless her heart.
Yes I am very proud of her. She is very strong willed and very intelligent and a beautiful person, inside and out. Her allergic roommate and her mother were on her case to find the kitty a home (I keep forgetting what she named her ) because she's a student and three are needed to afford the apt. So the two girls who are left are paying more because she loved the kitten so much. They really boned. She grew up in a home with cats so I was surprised when my SD was so against her keeping the kitty.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowingInk View Post
I love stories with a happier ending. I'd do the same thing if I were your granddaughter. Way to go!
In a world where we hear of so much cruelty, so much indifference and so many depressing things, a story with a happy ending is like a breath of fresh air.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Huge huzzahhhhhh!!!!!
I'm not kidding when I write that I'd been thinking about that expressway kitten every day. What an upper to find out how everything ended up.

Funny thing, allergies are. The brothers who live upstairs from me grew up with cats in their house, but now can't go near them. When Weasie is on the front steps they'll give her a couple of scratches and then they have to shoo the confused kitty away. I've posted before about my skepticism regarding the "allergy" line - but once I did see one of the guys' eyes start to water before he could get inside the building.

Let us know this cat's name, for meowing out loud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats