Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times

Advertisements

Well! Pinch me! I am still with the mouth gaping wide open, catching flies! I spoke with my vet today to (again) put Whispers on the surgery schedule for neutering and within that conversation, my vet told me some very awesome things!

If any of you follow my threads, I am always doing what is best for the cat. I am always making sure the cat's best interest is taken into consideration, even if that means banging my head several times, or making waves!

My vet hasn't outright said it, but I have heard in her voice how "odd" I am regarding what I say and what I do with my cats. She had a tone of "new respect" for ME today, for me of all people, in her voice! Why?

She told me that anesthesiologists have been teaching the vets where she works how to better administer anesthesia, taking into consideration the cat's comfort and fear factors. How amazing is that? She is learning how terrifying it is just to use anesthesia (gas) for a cat, and how much better it is to combine medications to calm a cat, sedate a cat into a semi-sleep, all prior to intubation.

You don't know the waves I have made being insistent on having my cats out like a light before intubation so they have NO clue as to what is happening. My vet, being the wonderful woman she is, followed through with my firm resolutions that my cat is going to have surgery this way, and no other way.

Today, she had awe in her voice, describing to me, how she is learning how to administer anesthesia by combining pre-surgical medications, JUST LIKE I ASKED HER TO DO WITH MY CATS, and then intubate for gas. I am NOT talking JUST Ketamines here! I am talking narcotics to really sedate and calm a cat.....one of them being Valium! Love it!

(BIG sigh of relief) Change has come, and is still coming for the better of our cats! Now, vets are being taught to consider how a cat FEELS under certain conditions! My words haven't fallen on deaf ears.....but I had to wait until someone else made it official, that someone with the correct letters after his or her name!

I also have been told that this hospital where my vet works out of only gives Pure-Vax for the rabies vaccinations. Progress has begun!

When I know the names of the medications and doses, etc. I shall pass all that information on to you. I do know two things. I am being given Buprenex to give Whispers before we take him in (my vet is breaking the rules here! shhhhhhh!), and he is going to get "human" anesthesia, the safest one, yes the most expensive one, but his life to me is just that important. I don't have the official names of the meds or the anesthesia, but I will. The "shock" of this conversation stopped my usual 101 questions. LOL

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 03-30-2011 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Well! Pinch me! I am still with the mouth gaping wide open, catching flies! I spoke with my vet today to (again) put Whispers on the surgery schedule for neutering and within that conversation, my vet told me some very awesome things!

If any of you follow my threads, I am always doing what is best for the cat. I am always making sure the cat's best interest is taken into consideration, even if that means banging my head several times, or making waves!

My vet hasn't outright said it, but I have heard in her voice how "odd" I am regarding what I say and what I do with my cats. She had a tone of "new respect" for ME today, for me of all people, in her voice! Why?

She told me that anesthesiologists have been teaching the vets where she works how to better administer anesthesia, taking into consideration the cat's comfort and fear factors. How amazing is that? She is learning how terrifying it is just to use anesthesia (gas) for a cat, and how much better it is to combine medications to calm a cat, sedate a cat into a semi-sleep, all prior to intubation.

You don't know the waves I have made being insistent on having my cats out like a light before intubation so they have NO clue as to what is happening. My vet, being the wonderful woman she is, followed through with my firm resolutions that my cat is going to have surgery this way, and no other way.

Today, she had awe in her voice, describing to me, how she is learning how to administer anesthesia by combining pre-surgical medications, JUST LIKE I ASKED HER TO DO WITH MY CATS, and then intubate for gas. I am NOT talking JUST Ketamines here! I am talking narcotics to really sedate and calm a cat.....one of them being Valium! Love it!

(BIG sigh of relief) Change has come, and is still coming for the better of our cats! Now, vets are being taught to consider how a cat FEELS under certain conditions! My words haven't fallen on deaf ears.....but I had to wait until someone else made it official, that someone with the correct letters after his or her name!

I also have been told that this hospital where my vet works out of only gives Pure-Vax for the rabies vaccinations. Progress has begun!

When I know the names of the medications and doses, etc. I shall pass all that information on to you. I do know two things. I am being given Buprenex to give Whispers before we take him in (my vet is breaking the rules here! shhhhhhh!), and he is going to get "human" anesthesia, the safest one, yes the most expensive one, but his life to me is just that important. I don't have the official names of the meds or the anesthesia, but I will. The "shock" of this conversation stopped my usual 101 questions. LOL
I don't think it is so odd to want your cat (or any pet) to be as comfortable as possible. I think most people just tend to not consider what their pet is actually experiencing...once their pet leaves their view. I know at one time I didn't until...
I was with our dog, Tuffy, when he was put down. He was 16 years old. He was barely aware of his surroundings. Yet when he was injected, he was wide-eyed and SCREAMED until his death. It wasn't a long time, but it was an absolutely horrible few seconds or minute. I had never heard such a noise from him in all his 16 years. I can't help feeling that his very last moments of life were spent terrified and/or in pain. The sounds of his scream still haunt me to this day.
The next time we had to put a dog down, I asked the vet to put our Molly into real sleep before euthanizing her. Molly dozed off peacefully, and was euthanized after she fell into a deep sleep.
Soooooo, I have NO PROBLEM understanding your "mission" to be sure that your Whispers isn't scared out of his mind before being neutered.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Like I am known for saying......the TIMING is everything. IF I had Whispers neutered a few weeks ago, this "enlightenment" with the vets at this hospital would NOT have happened, and I still would have been seen as "odd" for all the advocating I do for my babies. Vets starting to consider cats having FEELINGS? Now, geesh, who does that surprise here????

I feel like doing a dance on the highest mountain! Why? All these years of saying "unusual" things regarding my cats and why and what I want done, or NOT done, hmmmmm, now it is coming full circle and these vets are LISTENING.......no, not to me, but those in their community they "trust" and "respect". Yippee!!!!! HIGH FIVE! I don't care two figs who these vets listen to, as long as they finally listen to the truth!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:53 PM

GOE,
I think there are vets that are in tune with pets' feelings. The vet office that I have been going to for years... I finally got a clue, and now only take our pets to one vet in particular. I can see that he TRULY loves cats and dogs and wants the best for them. Plus, he is always increasing his knowledge, as far as nutrition, vaccinations, etc. He is a sweet sweet smart man.
It is wonderful to read stories about your vet getting "the word out" to other vets about some prettttty important subject matters.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I don't think it is so odd to want your cat (or any pet) to be as comfortable as possible. I think most people just tend to not consider what their pet is actually experiencing...once their pet leaves their view. I know at one time I didn't until...
I was with our dog, Tuffy, when he was put down. He was 16 years old. He was barely aware of his surroundings. Yet when he was injected, he was wide-eyed and SCREAMED until his death. It wasn't a long time, but it was an absolutely horrible few seconds or minute. I had never heard such a noise from him in all his 16 years. I can't help feeling that his very last moments of life were spent terrified and/or in pain. The sounds of his scream still haunt me to this day.
The next time we had to put a dog down, I asked the vet to put our Molly into real sleep before euthanizing her. Molly dozed off peacefully, and was euthanized after she fell into a deep sleep.
Soooooo, I have NO PROBLEM understanding your "mission" to be sure that your Whispers isn't scared out of his mind before being neutered.
It is very unfortunate that some of us here have had extremely painful experiences with our beloved pets at the hands of a vet. But, we are the very same people who will not be talked down to, lied to, and we do insist on having our babies properly managed. We are the VOICE of change!

My "guidance" has not had me go elsewhere looking for another vet. I "see" my vet's heart, and it is good. It is just her education that is wrong. She has been open with working with me, and her surgeon skills are par none, excellent. She is compassionate, loving, kind, gentle and SMART. Now, all that has to be added is to undo some of the brainwashing, and it sounds to me like it has started.

And, while once again going over the way things will be done with Whispers today on the phone, I could "feel" she was just not tolerating me, but really working as ONE with me. How exciting it is for me to know that the "ball" has changed hands, and all these years of saying truth is paying off. Oh, man, I really have tears in my eyes right now. You guys just don't know number one, what I have been through with Whispers (and still am) and number two, how thrilled I am that vets are realizing aspects from the cat's view point!

I am even writing my vet a letter, detailing all of Whispers' history so that she knows beyond a shadow of a doubt, how delicate and how special this cat is.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
GOE: Sometimes I think you are more professional than the professionals. Excellent work!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
My "guidance" has not had me go elsewhere looking for another vet. I "see" my vet's heart, and it is good. It is just her education that is wrong.
I "get" that too!!! The vet I respect so much... there have been some not so good experiences over the years. What I respect about him is that he has an open mind. He is willing to read and learn about "the latest" and make changes in his practices as needed.
Example: When I first took a cat to him, he recommended a slew of vaccinations. The next time, he explained to me that his view on vaccinations had changed and WHY he no longer recommended x,y, or z vaccinations.
The more he learns. The more he shares with other vets. The more likely changes (for the better) will happen for all.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM

I'm a dork.. I know. I'm just soooooo excited for you (and your felines), Goe.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:45 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Garden, I'm so glad for you and Whispers. You must really feel vindicated, but more importantly, you know that now Whiskers will get gentle care for his surgery. Really good to hear.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I'm a dork.. I know. I'm just soooooo excited for you (and your felines), Goe.
Oh, Lola, you are the furthest thing from being a dork. YOU excited? Hmmm.....I'm just about peeing in my pants here! LOL

And......made another phone call to my vet just now (I am getting off topic, so apologies ahead of time). I have had several "issues" with some of my cats and I want them so badly to be looked at, checked, but the finances end of things........I told her on her voice mail the problems I am having and with whom, and could she please please please talk to the hospital again to help us out here? I have been taking care of such special and ill cats for all these years, and all of a sudden, Sassy is in pain with her mouth, Karma is in pain, exhausted looking, with nervous ticks, Bella's other two fangs are getting painful and I know she is going to have to go for more surgery, Rocky is always congested, and I have several other FLUTD's that I just cannot keep up with their teeth, and their gums are bleeding and inflamed and they are in pain.

Sorry, I'm still really overwhelmed by the close call we had here last week, and all these "issues" are keeping me awake at night. If we can just hang in there a little longer, hubs is now in the process of arranging for more money to come in, but until then, we just have to hang on. Thanks for listening.

.........and here again too, thinking of what I must do with Whispers is putting me in a tailspin..........deep breath........again thank you for letting me vent......

I am honestly trying to rep you guys.........darn it......I will.......have to go spread more around first......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats