U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:23 AM

13,495 posts, read 33,426,829 times

Advertisements

Our two and a half year old cat started using the living room carpet for her litter box about a week ago. She has been using it to tinkle.

The background is~two years ago at Halloween there was a beautiful, loving kitty roaming the neighborhood. At first we thought she belonged to a neighbor and had gotten out. She was roaming around here for several days and as we talked to neighbors, we learned she was homeless. She came up on our deck and befriended the two cats we had at the time. They had instantly fallen in love with her so we adopted her.

She was already fixed and declawed and housebroken. She's was a beautiful, loving, cuddly kitty and we and our two cats just adored her. In March, we lost our oldest cat to a brain tumor. It was obvious that our other two cats were in mourning just as we were.

Our neighbor had lost their cat so they brought over their scratching post. A few days later we noticed the floor was wet and caught our newest kitty tinkling in that area so we moved the scratching post to the deck, thinking she didn't want the scent of another cat in her area where she had her sleeping box and her toys. We then shampooed the carpet. Now she has started tinkling in another corner of the living room and she also wet the couch and a blanket yesterday. So of course we cleaned it all up and last night it happened again. I realize that a cat who is diabetic may have problems holding their urine, but she doesn't appear to be diabetic. Our other cat has type 2 diabetes and she doesn't show the same signs.

We aren't sure of her breed, but believe that she's at least partially a rag-a-muffin. Her demeaner has changed the past few days. She just seems to be depressed. She always loved to cuddle and "do massages", but has grown distant yet she doesn't appear to be sick. They are eating the same food, litter box is in the same place, the brand of litter is the same, no new toys, basically everything in the household is the same.

Why would this suddenly start to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 06:14 AM

3,634 posts, read 9,231,775 times
Your cat is very probably sick. The "depression" you mention can be due to pain. Perhaps she has urinary problems and pain when going to the litter box and so she uses the carpet? It could be many things. Do not try and diagnose this yourself.

You have to get her to the vet asap. Cats cannot tell us what they are feeling but an observant owner can tell when something is not right and "depression" is exactly the term I used when we took our cat to the vet.

With a long hair cat, it can sometimes be difficult to see changes or dehydration, etc.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:14 AM

Thank you so much for the info and also the suggestion that it may be a urinary problem. After I posted this, I watched her and she seemed to be breathing more heavily then usual and seems somewhat lethargic compared to her normal bouncy self. SO I called the clinic and she has an appointment for early PM. I'll let you know what the diagnosis is. Thanks again.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,075,185 times
I had a kitty that did that too. I thought she was just being nasty, but come to find out, when I took her to the vet, she had a urinary tract infection. The reason she pee'd outside the cat box was because she was associating the cat box with the pain of peeing.

I'd take your kitty to the vet and see what they say.

hope it gets resolved.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:42 AM

4,585 posts, read 15,330,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Thank you so much for the info and also the suggestion that it may be a urinary problem. After I posted this, I watched her and she seemed to be breathing more heavily then usual and seems somewhat lethargic compared to her normal bouncy self. SO I called the clinic and she has an appointment for early PM. I'll let you know what the diagnosis is. Thanks again.
You were given great advice. Hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:06 PM

402 posts, read 1,994,083 times
If the urinalysis looks normal, you may try feloway in the room where the littler box was....

Old 07-30-2007, 07:39 PM

Thank you for the replies. I rarely make it to the pet section, but we're definitely pet lovers. Some of the sad posts are too hard to read anyway.

The vet said my kitty is diabetic which totally surprised me. She doesn't do a LOT of tinkling or drinking. Dr. feels the diabetes was first and then the urinary infection. Kitty was ill and hurled in the doctor's office, but I know she was upset and scared, too. She is now on antibiotics, plus we will start her on insulin tonight. I had asked if her glucose level wouldn't be elevated since she had an infection and Dr. said it would be elevated, but only to around 200 or 250 and kittie's is over 500. So now both of our surviving babies are on insulin.

I've been having a hard time dealing with this because I blame myself since it's type two diabetes. We've now had three pets that ended up with it. I always think I'm "treating" them with licks of ice cream, pudding, etc. when in reality I'm probably harming them immensely. Today I've had a few friends say they give their pets those treats, too and have never had to deal with this, but since type 2 is actually related to obesity and eating habits, I'm not feeling too good about myself right now.

Once again, thank you so much for the input and your advice was totally right. I didn't think she was being "bad" cause that's not her temperament, but at least now we can deal with it.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM

4,585 posts, read 15,330,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Thank you for the replies. I rarely make it to the pet section, but we're definitely pet lovers. Some of the sad posts are too hard to read anyway.

The vet said my kitty is diabetic which totally surprised me. She doesn't do a LOT of tinkling or drinking. Dr. feels the diabetes was first and then the urinary infection. Kitty was ill and hurled in the doctor's office, but I know she was upset and scared, too. She is now on antibiotics, plus we will start her on insulin tonight. I had asked if her glucose level wouldn't be elevated since she had an infection and Dr. said it would be elevated, but only to around 200 or 250 and kittie's is over 500. So now both of our surviving babies are on insulin.

I've been having a hard time dealing with this because I blame myself since it's type two diabetes. We've now had three pets that ended up with it. I always think I'm "treating" them with licks of ice cream, pudding, etc. when in reality I'm probably harming them immensely. Today I've had a few friends say they give their pets those treats, too and have never had to deal with this, but since type 2 is actually related to obesity and eating habits, I'm not feeling too good about myself right now.

Once again, thank you so much for the input and your advice was totally right. I didn't think she was being "bad" cause that's not her temperament, but at least now we can deal with it.
Oh my! I'm so glad you took her into the vet. Once she gets regulated on the insulin she'll be feeling better and behaving better as well.

I'm curious as to what you feed and wonder if that might be a contributing factor or if it's just luck of the draw?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:45 PM

402 posts, read 1,994,083 times
Wow, she must be older than 2 1/2? The youngest diabetic I've seen is 6, and that's a rarity...

Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 PM

183 posts, read 1,028,495 times
I hope she goes back to the box after she feels better. I had a TERRIBLE time with my male cat this year. After being treated repeatedly for supposed UTI he blocked, and had to be hosiptalized, then after another month of testing, and different medication, (all the while living in the bathroom so I could monitor his box usage and b/c he kept going on the carpet/couch/laundry pile/etc) they finally tried an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med. called amytriptalin, and during that, we moved from NJ to FL, and somewhere in that move and his new med. he got well. I am glad to say that almost (gulp) $1,000, 4 months, a change in food, and 1500 miles later, he is back to his old self. He will always need that medication, but at least he is better. There is no reason or known cure for his condition, so he is lucky that we found something to make him comfortable. I say your post, and I know how frustrating cat urine and bladder issues can be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats