U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 PM

2,812 posts, read 2,815,579 times
Default 18 year old cat

My 18 year old cat is loosing weight fast. She does not have the appetite she used to and her coat looks rough. From everything I have ever heard it sounds like kidney failure. She hates going in the car and getting into a cat cage so I really dont want to put her through a vet visit if there is nothing they will be able to do anyway. She will flip out if I put her in a car, Im afraid that could harm her. Is it worth it to go to the vet?? am I wrong in thinking there is nothing they will be able to do for a cat that old?? I dont want to shorten her life by not taking her in, but I dont want to stress the cat if its not going to help her. Other than weight loss she is not suffering in any way, is it better to let her be or to give the vet a call??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 PM

6,626 posts, read 5,009,601 times
At least give the vet a call. Treatment may keep her going a few more years.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 PM

25,236 posts, read 16,421,672 times
don't give up on her just cause she is old. do you have a mobile vet around? of course keep her in a carrier if you take her to the vet. Let's make that when you take her to the vet.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM

5,367 posts, read 6,232,257 times
Have you tried Feliway? Its a calming spray, you can buy it without an RX at pet stores. I sprayed the bedding in my cat's cage before a long trip, it seemed to help.

a few more tips, don't let kitty eat 12 hours before the trip, just water, less likely to throw up. 18 years is old for a cat, but not that old---I had a cat live until 25 years. It might be something controlable, like change of diet, meds, etc.

Try to make the trip, or look for a mobile vet. at least get an opinion....good luck!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM

2,812 posts, read 2,815,579 times
Part of me does not want to hear what I think the vet is going to say, but I will prob be taking her in anyway. I just needed to hear a few people say its not a lost cause. She has been a good cat for the past 18.5 years, I want her last years or months to be as easy as possible. She is part of the family, dont want to lose her.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,821,570 times
Yes. but you don't want her to suffer either. I hate taking that last trip to the vet with a cat. But it may not turn out that way. Best of luck to you and your kitty.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM

That "last trip" will come all too soon, its best you have a good vet lined up and an understanding. Its hard to determine the exact time to let go, and its never easyYou don't want kitty to suffer.

But you're still at the deciison stage, you don't have all the facts yet. It may be something treatable. we had a cat go into decline, it was a thyroid problem. with proper treatment, he lived another 2 years. when he did go, we knew we'd done all we could and it was just his time.

Sounds like he has a wonderful, caring owner!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
My 18 year old cat is loosing weight fast. She does not have the appetite she used to and her coat looks rough. From everything I have ever heard it sounds like kidney failure. She hates going in the car and getting into a cat cage so I really dont want to put her through a vet visit if there is nothing they will be able to do anyway. She will flip out if I put her in a car, Im afraid that could harm her. Is it worth it to go to the vet?? am I wrong in thinking there is nothing they will be able to do for a cat that old?? I dont want to shorten her life by not taking her in, but I dont want to stress the cat if its not going to help her. Other than weight loss she is not suffering in any way, is it better to let her be or to give the vet a call??

Consider thyroid problems, our cat suddenly went into hyperthyroid syndrome, its fairly common in older cats. Its treatable, and not too expensive.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:17 PM

9,882 posts, read 9,506,864 times
Yes, thyroid, when my cat lost weight fast (only 14 years old though, or not even) it was hyperthyroid. This is treatable in most cats with inexpensive meds. A pharmacy with those $4 for 30 day, $10 for 90 day supply programs will be able to fill a prescription for methimazole at those prices. (Mine's currently on a pill and a half a day, though, so I only get 60 days for $10.) It's over a year later and she's fine.

For kidney aka CRF I would expect you to notice the generally obvious "drink a lot, pee a lot" scenario. The other older cat we had for a few years had the kidney problem. She did lose weight as well, yes, but the things with the water are quite noticeable. She had some other things going on as well and eventually it appeared to be too much. Still get sad thinking about it. If it's kidney failure, you can try more things like sub-q fluids, etc, if you are interested. I know of cats that lived a few years after a CRF diagnosis when doing the fluid injections. You may have to push that though as it's not something the vet for our CRF cat brought up. Ours lived about 6-8 months, I think, after we first found out about the CRF. They will get dehydrated if this is the problem, and maybe that is what you are seeing, but I think you would also see the increase in drinking and peeing.

(I am not a vet, etc.)

Certainly you should talk to the vet, and I would think they'll say bring her in for a test, or maybe, if it's not too far, you could get them to come out and look at her. 18 is not at all too old for there to be time left. Which isn't to say that you shouldn't begin to prepare yourself for the inevitable time, although who really is prepared?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,552,918 times
Most cats don't like going to the vet. *Thyroid and kidney disease are both treatable. Not curable, but with treatment many cats live quite a long time with good quality of life.

Dental disease also can be treated. A good dental cleaning and removal of any bad teeth can put so much new life into a cat you'd be amazed.

Don't just dismiss it as "old age" or "her time". Get her in for a check up and blood work and find out what's going on. 18 years is a testament to your good loving care, but it doesn't have to stop now.

*(actually there is a cure for thyroid, it's called radioactive iodine treatment, but a cat has to be in general good health, with no kidney issues to have it, it may be more stress than it's worth at her age, if hyperthyroid disease turns out to be the issue)

Please keep us posted on your beloved kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats