Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,887,333 times

Advertisements

[quote=luvmycat;18902645]I had this WHOLE post ready to go, and the high winds here got a little too crazy and all the power went out on me ...hate when that happens...fingers crossed I'll get this one out before it happens again, LOL! [quote]

You need to get an UPS for your computer.

Quote:
This is interesting...I lived in Brooklyn until 2004 ( I was there for about 10 years) and I never heard about this.
Were you also there in the late 1950s or early 1960s when they went door to door? I believe my mother paid $15 for the lic at the time. I was a teenager then.

Quote:
Of course, I only had cats when I lived there, but I did have some dog-owning friends both on Manhattan and in Brooklyn, the Bronx, etc, and none of them ever mentioned this happening. When was it? Is it still in effect?
Sometime between 1958 and 1962. Since I don't live there anymore I don't know if it's still in effect. Sorry.

Quote:
I do know leash laws were strict there, in fact I don't remember seeing a loose dog the whole time I was there . Cats were another story ...plenty of strays everywhere.
There always were. They'd trap them and sent them to the then ASPCA. More would show up.

Quote:
I agree, it would be hard to enforce, but it would be easier and less expensive to monitor shelters & breeders than it would be to pay someone to go door-to-door to everyone's home and search for cats and demand proof that they've been fixed...if we can find some way to make sure no in-tact kittens are going OUT, it wouldn't be necessary.
That would work. Here the shelters and rescues have all the cats fixed. I believe it's done to the dogs too.

Quote:
Anyone advertising kittens online or in the paper would also have to be checked out...the real problem with this is that BYB's will still find ways to do their thing on the sly, it would be virtually impossible to catch them all...they can still deal kitties via word-of-mouth and get paid in cash to avoid a paper trail . No plan is fool-proof, unfortunately.
This is true. Even so, in time the numbers will drop. There will always be cheats and law-breakers. There will always be people who walk their dogs off the leash. That's human nature.

Quote:
There's a lot of controversy around the issue of early S/N, and my personal opinion is that it's best to wait until around the 6 month mark...many people and vets disagree strongly with me on this, which is fine...we're all entitled to our own opinions, after all.
Too many intact females of that age turn up pregnant. They don't recommend waiting that long anymore where I live. Males wont matter. But then some that have started to spray may continue the nasty habit.

Quote:
The Humane Society here S/N's as early as 2 months, which is WAY too early IMO...I understand that their concern is more attuned to the overpopulation issue than anything else, but I do worry about how many of the kittens they adopt out having been S/N'd so early will develop problems later on, especially males with orthopedic and/or urinary tract issues.
I haven't heard anything about the orthopedic issues. I was told that it doesn't matter at what age Toms are done since many neutered as adults will block. Even intact Toms will block. It seems to be more diet related then age-at-neuter related. We all do what we are most comfortable with. Since my girls were sick with URIs when adopted, and different ages... one was done at 4 months and the other at 9 months. The boy was done at 3 mos., 2 weeks before I adopted him.

Quote:
I think a large part of the reason why so many advocate early S/N is fear of the unwanted behaviors associated with in-tact animals once they do hit puberty being so stressful on the owners the cats will get dumped back into shelters or abandoned...not everyone has the patience to wait any length of time if a male is spraying all over the house, and if they get the snip before that behavior starts, the cat has a better chance of remaining with the family.
This is quite possible... I myself could not deal with a Tom spraying in my house. I find the odor, the stench of "tomcat", unbearable. As for the girls.... I wouldn't want to take the chance of one sneaking out and coming home pregnant.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
She's already explained why she uses the vet that she uses, and how it is that the bill is as high as it is. She's explained this a few times now. She's not complaining that her vet charges too much. It's a vent, that it's expensive. Kind of like, "I just bought a brand new Toyota - boy that thing costs an arm and a leg! Great car but expensive!".
Thats a inaccurate comparrision.

Based on the OP's own words and followup post what was being said was:
"After going to the Cadillac, Mercedes, and Bently dealer, i can't belive the high cost of cars!"
My response was you can;t indict the whole vet medical industry because you choose to go to the high price vets. The OP admitted not knowing what anyone else charges in the area so there could be more affordable option they ignored or choose not to use. If 99% of homes sell from $150,000 to $200,000 in a town and 1% sell for $4,5000,000 and above, is it fair to say that home prices are outragious because you only looked at that 1% and ignored the other 99%?

It's not fair or just to indict and cruxify the entire vet care industry when you choose to use the high price vet and ignore lower cost options.

I also disagreed that the post was a"vent". Venting is when you say what you have to say, to get it off your chest, and move on. But to attack others if they disagree is not venting. That's arguing! plain and simple....

Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 PM

11,184 posts, read 19,346,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I got the impression that GOE was "sticker" shocked. Plain and simple. She likes her vet. She trusts her vet. She has great communication with her vet. She pays the fees her vet charges her.
I think MOST people are thrown for a loop for unplanned vet bills, car repairs, etc. That doesn't mean they run out on the bill. I would assume she pays her vet bills, or she wouldn't be a repeat customer. ??

While I am at it... I don't always "get" GOE. To ME she is different. Different form ME. Does that make her wrong? No. It is no skin off my nose if she believes that walking around her cats in circles 8 times will make their eyes glow. (GOE- I am NOT making in fun of you. Just trying to make a point.)

Terrific post.

Quote:
What is the point of wanting to tear down someone all the time?

/rant
Seriously. Enough already.

Quote:
Glad you understood my far out example. (Scratch the word "far out" ....just in case you DO walk around your cats 8 times.)

I'm off to the politics board. Those people seem to get along better....
LOL! You actually made me snort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
A general observation...

None of us here are vets. Some of us have medical and/or vet tech experience, but that's it...and there is a warning at the top of the forum that tells us that the information here should NOT replace proper vet treatment and/or consultation.

This means that we all must use our own brains to determine what is "dangerous" or "safe" when we read it, and it is our responsibility to ask our vets if we have any questions about alternative OR conventional treatment options. No one's opinion on any matter here should be called "dangerous" for this reason, because we have all already been warned that this forum is only a place for opinions, not actual medical advice to be practiced on our own without guidance.

We all have different ideas and beliefs about which methods are best and safest, but just because we believe something it doesn't mean our way is right and everyone else's is wrong. We all have the opportunity to disagree publically with whoever we disagree with and state our opinions, but we don't have to do it in a way that offends or upsets the poster we disagree with.
Well said!!

I've read a lot about the gouging the ER vets do. I realize they have a lot of overhead, and not always a steady income. Many are only open from 5 pm to 8 a.m. for instance. But it does seem heartless to be facing a hard face saying "give me $1000 or walk out the door and hope your pet doesn't die" I would hate to work in a job like that.

I think vet fees vary greatly by geographic location. I read about $600 spays, not just in other countries, but just other cities.

Where I live vet care is relatively inexpensive, but you still hear people complain, it's all relative. An emergency fee here, for instance is only $100. That is on top of anything that is done. It's $100 just to walk in the door of any vet after hours. But ALL the vets in a tri-county area charge the same thing for an emergency fee. Their basic fees may vary, but they don't try to rip pet lovers off after hours. Even if it means they miss their kid's school play. And of course some people just don't want to spend money on their pets, period. But my mother, who lives 100 miles north of me, the fees she pays for the same services are twice what I pay.

Last edited by catsmom21; 04-26-2011 at 09:16 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
This is interesting...I lived in Brooklyn until 2004 ( I was there for about 10 years) and I never heard about this. Of course, I only had cats when I lived there, but I did have some dog-owning friends both on Manhattan and in Brooklyn, the Bronx, etc, and none of them ever mentioned this happening. When was it? Is it still in effect? I do know leash laws were strict there, in fact I don't remember seeing a loose dog the whole time I was there . Cats were another story ...plenty of strays everywhere.
I just read the history of NYC dog licnsed and it appears that up unitl the mid 80's the city contracted with the ASPCA to administer the dog licnse laws. cats did not have to be licnesed during that time. The ASPCA was also contracted to handle animal control but they decide to get out of that business becuse they didn;t like the wholesale euthnizing of the strays ( they took in thousands each week and could never adopt enough out to prevent euthanizing many)

The ASPCA in addition to their HumaneLaw Enforcement Police Officers also had License Officers who also were Peace Officers and they went though neighborhoods issuing licensses or summonses for violations. The city was so big they generally only hit a area once a year.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,887,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I just read the history of NYC dog licnsed and it appears that up unitl the mid 80's the city contracted with the ASPCA to administer the dog licnse laws. cats did not have to be licnesed during that time. The ASPCA was also contracted to handle animal control but they decide to get out of that business becuse they didn;t like the wholesale euthnizing of the strays ( they took in thousands each week and could never adopt enough out to prevent euthanizing many)

The ASPCA in addition to their HumaneLaw Enforcement Police Officers also had License Officers who also were Peace Officers and they went though neighborhoods issuing licensses or summonses for violations. The city was so big they generally only hit a area once a year.
Thank you for posting this.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,195,175 times
Once again, folks, I am asking you to remember that this is a forum for cat lovers and for people who want to share their affection, ideas and opinions about their cats. It is not a debate forum, nor is it a forum that should engender such hostility. Put people on IGNORE if you have a problem with them. Please do not use this forum to castigate other members.
Thank you.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,552,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
LOL! You actually made me snort!.
I was snortin' right along with you on that one !

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I've read a lot about the gouging the ER vets do. I realize they have a lot of overhead, and not always a steady income. Many are only open from 5 pm to 8 a.m. for instance. But it does seem heartless to be facing a hard face saying "give me $1000 or walk out the door and hope your pet doesn't die" I would hate to work in a job like that.

I think vet fees vary greatly by geographic location. I read about $600 spays, not just in other countries, but just other cities.

Where I live vet care is relatively inexpensive, but you still hear people complain, it's all relative. An emergency fee here, for instance is only $100. That is on top of anything that is done. It's $100 just to walk in the door of any vet after hours. But ALL the vets in a tri-county area charge the same thing for an emergency fee. Their basic fees may vary, but they don't try to rip pet lovers off after hours. Even if it means they miss their kid's school play. And of course some people just don't want to spend money on their pets, period. But my mother, who lives 100 miles north of me, the fees she pays for the same services are twice what I pay.
I DID work in a place like that .
It all depended on the vet on-duty, some had hearts of pure gold, others...not so much. (We even nicknamed one of the vets there "Dr. Death" because he was always suggesting euthanization )

But one of the vets who actually own the hospital is a SWEETHEART of a man, and he makes exceptions left and right...I lost count of how many times he spayed a female animal free of charge after performing a C-section. He'd always wake in the middle of the night even if it was really slow and all the animals stable, which was truly hilarious because he'd be barefooted, his hair a complete mess, his eyes all squinty, talking baby talk and making kissy faces at all of them...LMAO !

It was about the same to walk in the door in that place...around $80, and after midnight it went up another $20.

If people couldn't afford treatment, we would offer to take in the animal as a "donation", but we'd almost always call the owners once treatment had been rendered to see if they were able to pay the bill and re-claim their pet before attempting to re-home it...in most cases, if they were genuine and he felt they really loved their pet and were just going through a rough time, he'd accept 50% (or less) of what was owed. The only times the owners weren't given this option is when he felt they had been negligent or acted as though they didn't care and just wanted the animal off their backs. That's what happened with my little Boo...the owners said "Just put her down, she's too much trouble"...the vet on-duty (it wasn't the owner, but a female vet I deeply respect and really loved working with) basically kicked them out of the hospital after they signed her over...apparently she didn't give a hoot about her bedside manner and really let them have it ! Go DOC !

Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 PM

346 posts, read 495,767 times
Hi =^..^=,

(love the user id, by the way!)

Quote:
And I hear and read people complain about these pet insurances. If you just have accident / injury coverage, how did you get them to cover the testing etc? I'm sorry you lost your cat Mickey.
I wrote that wrong- I have accident and illness coverage. Thanks about Mickey- always hard to lose them

Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,552,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I haven't heard anything about the orthopedic issues. I was told that it doesn't matter at what age Toms are done since many neutered as adults will block. Even intact Toms will block. It seems to be more diet related then age-at-neuter related. We all do what we are most comfortable with.
I decided to start a new thread on early S/N...didn't want to get this one too far OT!

But I agree, diet is a very important factor in blockage prevention...dry kibble is usually a central culprit, which is why it burns me up when I see vets selling and promoting kibble diets for cats...more blocked cats = more $ to some of them I think, and others just never learned enough about nutrition to know better.

Nutrition should be a CORE requirement for all vets IMO...not an elective .

Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,050,152 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats