Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:07 PM

441 posts, read 501,068 times

Advertisements

We had to have our cat put to sleep yesterday. Big trauma in the house, the whole family's depressed - even the dogs. She was almost 17 and I thought that was old for a cat but today I have been tormenting myself trying to find average longevity for housecats and have found all sorts of claims that cats live on average to 25. Is this so? She was both an indoor and outdoor cat, very smart with car sense, a notorious mouser in her youth. We miss her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
25 years on average? No. I had a kitty make it to 21, and I know another who almost saw her 23 birthday. But "average" is 16, 17, 18 years old.

I'm so sorry for yours and your family's loss of your beloved kitty. It's never easy, no matter how old they are.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:52 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. Sounds like you and your family gave her a long, good life, filled with everything a cat could want.

If you are thinking you didn't take good enough care of your cat because she lived "only" to 17, put that thought right out of your head. Please don't allow your thoughts to torment you. Remember the joy you and your kitty gave each other during her life.

We lost our "notorious mouser" at 15 to feline leukemia -- that was almost 30 years ago. We still talk about her a lot, laugh when we recall her antics, roll our eyes when we recall her mischief, groan in mock horror when we recall the time I let her in the house with a very much still alive chipmunk in her mouth. She's still with us, in that way.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sorry about your loss. 17 is a long, life for a cat. Mickey died at 19, Pierre at 20, Lucky at 22. Lucky was basically blind and deaf when he went. I told my Mom I thought she just moved him around the house. He pretty much just stayed in his bed, but he still ate and used the litter box...although my Mom did have a special small one for him close to his bed. And on the other side of his bed was his food and water bowls.

Right now our oldest cat is Beau, he is 14. I wonder about his health, because he was a lost, stray kitten when we found him, and has had many health problems, like he catches colds, has teeth problems, a sensitive stomach, he got very thin last year, and now is on a very expensive prescription cat food, with 3x a day feeding regimen, with very small amounts.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:55 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
We had to have our cat put to sleep yesterday. Big trauma in the house, the whole family's depressed - even the dogs. She was almost 17 and I thought that was old for a cat but today I have been tormenting myself trying to find average longevity for housecats and have found all sorts of claims that cats live on average to 25. Is this so? She was both an indoor and outdoor cat, very smart with car sense, a notorious mouser in her youth. We miss her!
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your cat had a nice long life. I only know of one cat that made it to the age of 24. He belonged to a cat breeder in TN. That isn't average. Most pass away in their mid teens.

Genetics and care also come into play.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
yes.... 17 is a good long life for a kitty.....

so sorry for your loss......

Old 04-23-2011, 03:23 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Sorry for your loss.
It isn't uncommon to question yourself when a beloved pet passes on. However, it won't change anything. STOP beating yourself up.
There are soooooooo many things that can affect how long any pet lives. Surroundings, diet, genetics, etc. 17 years...you did something right!

Old 04-23-2011, 05:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
So sorry for your loss. It's a tough thing, and when that time has come you tend to question yourself. I still do, about a 17-18 year old (always forget the exact age because she came to us late in her life) we lost a couple years ago. Did I do all I could, was it the right time, etc. Hard to let go.

Let me assure you this though: there's no way 25 years old is average for cats. 25 is attainable, certainly it's not exactly unusual to hear of a cat living to early 20s, but this is still longer than average. Supposedly according to one source the oldest on record was 37! But average? Average is mid-teens. This includes cats who go outside.

17 is a completely typical and respectable age for a cat to reach. Don't worry yourself needlessly thinking that it should have been longer. Indeed a lot of the age your cat will reach is determined by genetics, which is not something you could change at all.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:03 PM

327 posts, read 968,227 times
There is nothing more stressful and traumatic than putting a fur baby to sleep. I truly am sorry. It takes some time to feel better. Your cat lived to be 84 in human years which is certainly a respectable life span. If she could, she would have thanked you for all your love and care and compassion for knowing when it was her time. BTW, my girl is 15 with kidney disease, and I will be thrilled if she makes it to 17. I lost my other fur baby to lymphoma last year at 14 so I understand your sadness. Take care.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Please please please stop tormenting yourself! And thank God that you had such long wonderful years with your baby! It is THE hardest thing in the world to say goodbye to one of our animals, and my heart truly goes out to you.......

My prayer for you: May you know the comfort of many angels as you grieve for your baby. May only good memories of her be with your for the rest of your life.

Peace.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 05-12-2011 at 08:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats