Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 PM

544 posts, read 1,479,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Aww Edward sounds so sweet! My Cooper is a lot like him in terms of being laid back. He was so good with my kitten fosters, he's so mellow with changes (like us moving across the country). They are amazing little guys.
Yeah, I'm a (semi-retired) studio musician, and have moved I cannot tell you how many times in the past in order to play in orchestras and other gigs, and my last cat, Annie, happily went with me everywhere...we made it through several moves to other states, a relationship or two, graduate school, etc. What a lovely girl she was.

The boy I had before that, also named Edward, also a big black and white, went through my undergrad program, a marriage and divorce, etc., etc. Twice, I went on long gigs where I had to leave him with my mom and once, with a boyfriend. He never attempted to leave and was there when I got back, loving as ever. When I was away from him, I swear I could feel him jumping on my bed at night, like some cat afterbody, operating in his sleep. It was WEIRD, to say the least.

Once you bond with them, they're part of your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,093,809 times
I'm a semi-retired musician myself! (There hasn't been any studio work here in many years.) My cat is always at the door greeting/scolding me when I get home from a gig. He is 16 years old and lost his brother last year.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM

455 posts, read 1,233,963 times
Cats really are special, Sweep jumps on my back and I have to piggy back him round the house - he loves it, the nutter

Sooty has a habit of biting the bottom of my trousers, its just that he catches my skin, the little git.

Bellini likes to wrestle with Duke our SBT, brave boy.

I can't imagine life without them.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 PM

544 posts, read 1,479,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm a semi-retired musician myself! (There hasn't been any studio work here in many years.) My cat is always at the door greeting/scolding me when I get home from a gig. He is 16 years old and lost his brother last year.
I know you are, catman. We talked about that before. It's lovely to have such an old cat. Edward is only maybe two or three years old but I'm hoping he'll have a long, healthy life. He quarrels with me if I teach for too long; he's confined to my bedroom while I'm teaching and is not happy if it's over two or three hours. [Of course, his litter box is off that area, in a large laundry room, and he also has food and water bowls there. That's not why he's mad; he was getting lonely!!! ]

I don't know how he's going to feel if I start going back to school. Sometimes I think I'd just like to blow all that off, and stay home and keep him company...

Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,717,670 times
That was really sweet....you obviously are a lunatic
(well, about your cat...), like the rest of us!

My favorite: "He's so cute when he's asleep"

I look at mine while they are sleeping too, with goofy adoration!!

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
  1. He's huge (14 1/2 lbs.), mostly white, extremely fluffy and soft
  2. He's gentle; no matter what happens, he never bites or scratches
  3. He watches tv with me
  4. No matter where I go, he follows me (even to the bathroom), and sits next to me if I sit, with his butt up against me, and turns his head around and looks up at me with adoration
  5. His hearing and sense of smell are so much more refined than mine; he alerts me where there is a bug in the house, or anyone outside, or anything unusual that goes on, that I might not really notice
  6. He loves to play
  7. He's so cute when he's asleep
  8. He seems in tune with my emotions; if I'm upset or ill, he's very comforting and he cares about me
  9. He loves to be petted; I basically have a job for life (pet your cat, you have a job for life)
  10. He gets me up in the morning, helps me with my students, and gets fussy when it's bedtime and I don't follow the routine
  11. As much as he hates it, he lets me medicate his eyes, and he takes his medicine without fussing or hurting me
  12. He lets me cuddle him like a baby, put him on my shoulder (heart to heart) and never scratches or struggles to get away
Now if only I could find a husband like that. Oh wait; I don't need one!!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 2,017 times
I love both my cats. I have pampered then for years.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,817,512 times
about phantom cat jumping....glad to know I'm not the only one. Once I was in the hospital for several months. I could swear I felt my cat jumping on the bed. I didn't dare tell anybody tho. I surely did miss my pets during that close-to-death time.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:14 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,717,670 times
Mine have been through major life issues with me too....death of parents, marriage, divorce and now a big move coming up....they are family and they are so dear to me

Ending on a happy note: my cat Jackie loves to smell aromatic flowers! He does not devastate them, just walks up, takes a sniff and then goes about his day

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
Yeah, I'm a (semi-retired) studio musician, and have moved I cannot tell you how many times in the past in order to play in orchestras and other gigs, and my last cat, Annie, happily went with me everywhere...we made it through several moves to other states, a relationship or two, graduate school, etc. What a lovely girl she was.

The boy I had before that, also named Edward, also a big black and white, went through my undergrad program, a marriage and divorce, etc., etc. Twice, I went on long gigs where I had to leave him with my mom and once, with a boyfriend. He never attempted to leave and was there when I got back, loving as ever. When I was away from him, I swear I could feel him jumping on my bed at night, like some cat afterbody, operating in his sleep. It was WEIRD, to say the least.

Once you bond with them, they're part of your family.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:23 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,763,805 times
Mine follow me to the bathroom, but since there is only a little toilet closet inside a much bigger bathroom I usually close the door. While I'm in there they stick their paws under the door and we play footsie.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:01 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,223,580 times
my little boys provide some sense of tranquility in a life that is otherwise filled with pure anxiety. they are the only thing that can calm me down and bring a true smile to my face (my wife can too). my oldest wakes me up every morning. when my alarm goes off he walks onto my chest and rubs his face against mine until i give him a big hug and get out of bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats