Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,856 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering for a while if I should call my vet about my cat. He actually had a visit last month and checked out fine.

Lately he has been acting weird. He will walk around the house meowing. I know cats meow, but he never used to do that. He'll meow at us like he's trying to say something, not like he's in pain. He also began vomiting more often. Maybe once every two weeks or so. He also does this weird thing when we are trying to sleep. He will start at your feet and walk all the way up your legs and back and try to lay down on you. Of course he falls off then goes back to your feet to do it again. He'll do it over and over until I kick(not literally) him off the bed. He kind of reminds me of someone with Alzheimers. It's hard to explain.

So should I call the vet or no? He doesn't seem to be in any pain physically, he's just acting weird. Oh, he is 8 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:25 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,005 times
My cat did this as well.....it was horrible....but I'd give anything to have him keeping me awake at night again. He just got kitty dementia. He started meowing a lot and at nothing and would walk up and down on me and bump my chin....I knew there was an issue when he did it consecutively over 50 times.... What you might do is call the vet and tell the vet what is going on if you don't want to bring him in....the vet might be able to have an idea if it is kitty dementia.

Though you did mention he was vomiting more than usual....could be kidney disease (did he have bloodwork done) or even possibly hyperthyroidism....

Good luck.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
8 really isn't old for a cat. I would get some blood work done and have his teeth checked for sure.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,863 times
No, it's not normal and could be a sign that something is wrong. Take him to the vet and get a complete exam including bloodwork.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
My cat did this as well.....it was horrible....but I'd give anything to have him keeping me awake at night again. He just got kitty dementia. He started meowing a lot and at nothing and would walk up and down on me and bump my chin....I knew there was an issue when he did it consecutively over 50 times.... What you might do is call the vet and tell the vet what is going on if you don't want to bring him in....the vet might be able to have an idea if it is kitty dementia.

Though you did mention he was vomiting more than usual....could be kidney disease (did he have bloodwork done) or even possibly hyperthyroidism....

Good luck.

Good advice here. I've got a kitty with mild dementia. He is obsessed with being in someone's lap. Anybody's lap. All the time. When he wakes up, he is startled and runs to his plate like he is supposed to eat. But he doesn't eat much whenever he gets food - unless it's off someone else's plate. He's almost 18.

8 is really young for this. I would suspect hyperthyroid too. Our elderly demented cat had this too. We did radioative iodine treatment and he's doing great.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Good advice here. I've got a kitty with mild dementia. He is obsessed with being in someone's lap. Anybody's lap. All the time. When he wakes up, he is startled and runs to his plate like he is supposed to eat. But he doesn't eat much whenever he gets food - unless it's off someone else's plate. He's almost 18.

8 is really young for this. I would suspect hyperthyroid too. Our elderly demented cat had this too. We did radioative iodine treatment and he's doing great.
Yes, 8 is fairly young for kitty dementia.... Tater was about 23 when he finally passed away...poor guy...he had such a great spirit but his body wouldn't keep up with him. He was also 'brain damaged' as well....he had neurological problems which made him a bit 'off' before the actual dementia set in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats