Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times

Advertisements

In addition to all the good suggestions above, I think he should also see a vet. Maybe he has chronic ear infections or bad teeth, and associates touch with pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
update. It's ironic I posted our issue with Simmy a few days ago after months of concern, because we had a breakthrough with Simmy. Yesterday, he came up to my foot and rubbed against it while I was sitting in a chair. I petted him with my foot for over a minute as he rubbed his head and body against it again and again. This was the first time he has made physical contact with one of us on his own in three months.

It seems those of you who theorized he had hand abuse issues were right. Having a hand shy foster cat was a first for us in over two dozen cat fosters, though not an uncommon issue with our foster dogs. Foot petting is a start. Hopefully, with time he will be adoptable which is our goal for all our fosters.

Thank you again, cat forum people. Your input really helped us understand what was happening and what course to take with our Simmy.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I'm really glad to hear this. And it says something about you, that after 2 years in other foster homes, you were the one that could start getting through to him. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I agree with the others to let him be. Our Lola was an adult stray who hung around our home. When we realized that she was a stray, we fed her and tried to bring her indoors; however, it took many months before we could get her inside. She did not like to be held or petted. We had her for 8 years before she died of cancer, but she never let us hold her. She would tolerate brushing if it was with a certain brush and she wanted us to rub her when she ate. Lola never bothered anyone, never dug her claws into the furniture, and only slept on the living room sofa because we rarely use that room. During the last few years, sometimes she would sit in the family room with us but never on the furniture. She would hiss at anyone other than a family member but never bit them. We realized that Lola had to do things her way and that is probably why she was a stray. If you can, keep your foster--you will not regret it. We miss Lola, even with all of her little idiosyncracies, every day.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
It takes a lot of time and patience. There are two neighborhood cats that I feed, and it took two years for them to allow me to touch them. They are very affectionate now, purring and rubbing on me, but they are still quite jumpy and will only let me pet them if they are in the mood (and are located in certain areas; otherwise they act like they don't even know me). I'm actually glad they are that way. It's what keeps them alive.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
My Mom had a cat like this, I think that after 5 years, she can pet the cat, and brush her. She considered it a success. Sad to say, cats take a long time to get over being mistreated.

Today, I was over at a person's house, who picked up their cat for me to pet...and the mean lil thang, hissed at me! At least Jasper has NEVER hissed since I have had him. He does not have a mean bone in his body.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
update. It's ironic I posted our issue with Simmy a few days ago after months of concern, because we had a breakthrough with Simmy. Yesterday, he came up to my foot and rubbed against it while I was sitting in a chair. I petted him with my foot for over a minute as he rubbed his head and body against it again and again. This was the first time he has made physical contact with one of us on his own in three months.

It seems those of you who theorized he had hand abuse issues were right. Having a hand shy foster cat was a first for us in over two dozen cat fosters, though not an uncommon issue with our foster dogs. Foot petting is a start. Hopefully, with time he will be adoptable which is our goal for all our fosters.

Thank you again, cat forum people. Your input really helped us understand what was happening and what course to take with our Simmy.
Oh that's wonderful! Baby steps baby steps! Lucky Simmy, finally in a home where he will be understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My Mom had a cat like this, I think that after 5 years, she can pet the cat, and brush her. She considered it a success. Sad to say, cats take a long time to get over being mistreated.

Today, I was over at a person's house, who picked up their cat for me to pet...and the mean lil thang, hissed at me! At least Jasper has NEVER hissed since I have had him. He does not have a mean bone in his body.
I blame your friend's judgement, not the cat. Many cats don't like strangers, and especially don't like being forced to greet or be pet by someone they don't know, or even someone they do know, for that matter.

It doesn't mean the cat is 'mean'. It means the cat was being forced to do something he didn't want to do, and hissing was his way of expressing himself. He may have been frightened, or just plain annoyed. I wouldn't want to be picked up and forced to submit to petting I didn't ask for, either, and I would NEVER do that to any of my cats.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Also, cats will hiss at anything that smells unfamiliar to them, whether it is a person, another cat or even a baby. It's an instinctual defense mechanism, so don't be offended. If you go back again (and your friend does not force the cat into your presence), then the cat might be more receptive to you (b/c it will be more familiar with your smell, although it usually takes a while for them to become really familiar to a new smell).

Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Quote:

OH, you have NO idea how happy this is making me right now. I have a HUGE grin on my face as I write these words! Yeah, for you for the break through! Simmy is trusting again and has chosen to begin with the foot, the furthest thing away from the hand. Oh, happy dance!

(((HUGS))) and THANK YOU for your endurance, your patience, and above all, your love that you give to these little ones who have had such a hard life. Now, now Simmy's chances of being adopted have just soared, because now there is understanding and now Simmy is beginning to trust.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:45 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I'm so thrilled to hear this!

It is people like you who are out there fostering the furfaces so many others would give up on who make this world a better place for animals everywhere...thanking you a thousand times for doing what you do would still not be enough to express the gratitude I feel!

YAY for Simmy feeling secure and loved enough to open his heart again, and a HUGE pat on the back to you guys for helping him get to that point !

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats