Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

Ha! Jasper ATE the waffles with maple syrup...the same thing he turned his nose up at while looking at me...during the night he must have decided to try it..because it was all gone this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Nimbus...*sigh*...he wants our foods but I try not to give him much or any unless I'm doing something with chicken breasts and then I will cut some raw meat for him and give him a little dish of it. But he LOVES cheese. If there is cheese, he'll be after it. And he is also into pancake syrup. I know this because my son left a plate on the counter by the sink, full of syrup from his breakfast. The cat was eating it...I'm pretty sure that can't be a good thing. I took it away from him.

He doesn't eat bread but he loves to destroy bread. Bread is the ENEMY. If he finds a bag of bread left anywhere he will drag it off to his lair (the basement) and tear it to bits all over the floor. I don't think he eats it...he just has this need to vanquish it.

The other night my husband deliberately let a moth in the house, because Nimbus watches them so intently through the window. The moth immediately went to the ceiling and clung upside down there. Nimbus couldn't reach it. He sat on the floor and stared at it and tried to sing it down, crooning oh so persuasively in his cutest voice. The moth was not convinced. Finally I swatted at it with a folder and it fluttered about, still rather high...so I captured it in my hands and tried to give it to him. He did not move fast enough to catch it and it fluttered up into the lamp and died on the bulb. I plucked it out and gave it to him and he ate it. Minutes later he could be found up on the ledge peering into the lamp in the hopes that there might be more tasty moths...

Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toriguy View Post
Perkins (a "teenager" siamese cat) only eats herbs. He hates chicken, beef, fish, dairy products, and any other things that aren't vegetation. . . and he loves to eat tabby grasses I plant for him and bagels. He's crazy! He even loves coconut oil. He ate my salad I left in a bowl for a few minutes. Nothing left in the bowl. He's also a very vocal kitty. While I'm making supper, he'll come swaggering up to me, meowing very loudly for attention, and if I don't give it to him, he'll let out a huge wail of annoyance and jump at the back of my jeans and claw. If you don't give him what he wants, well, face the consequences.

By Tori Guy, Age 14
I don't know why Perkins seems to "hate" anything that isn't vegetation. Cats are obligate carnivores. They have no choice but to have meat in their diet. Without it they can go blind and worse. What does your vet say about this?

Do Cats Need Meat to Have a Good Diet? - Pets

By Minerva age 67, who has lived a lifetime with Siamese cats.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Perkins (a "teenager" siamese cat) only eats herbs. He hates chicken, beef, fish, dairy products, and any other things that aren't vegetation. . . and he loves to eat tabby grasses I plant for him and bagels. He's crazy! He even loves coconut oil. He ate my salad I left in a bowl for a few minutes. Nothing left in the bowl. He's also a very vocal kitty. While I'm making supper, he'll come swaggering up to me, meowing very loudly for attention, and if I don't give it to him, he'll let out a huge wail of annoyance and jump at the back of my jeans and claw. If you don't give him what he wants, well, face the consequences.

By Tori Guy, Age 14
You need to get your cat on a balanced meat filled diet. Find a brand of canned cat food that contains identified meat as the first ingredient and feed it to him, usually 4-6 ounces a day depending on a cat's healthy weight.

And you might want to get him a check up at the vet. If he has been eating nothing but vegetation his whole life he is already dangerously malnourished.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,733 times
Orion is boorish when he eats, he takes his food out of the dish and puts it on the floor or counter. Doesn't matter if it's kibble or canned, out it comes. He's quite dedicated, he chooses the bits quite carefully, he ***** his head to the side, studies the food and then puts his paw in the dish and lifts it gently out.

The other guys, Joe and Scooter are gentlemen and eat out of the dish. They all eat a small (and getting smaller!) amount of dry food and a small can of Sheba chicken pate twice daily (I split one can between Joe and Scooter and give Orion a full can - he's a very large guy.) It is the only canned food I have been able to convince them to eat so I'm going with it, it's taken me years to find one - I even tried putting the canned food in the blender so it was liquid. They took a few laps and left it.

They have some odd tastes, like Judy - runs in the family I guess. Joe likes corn chips and blueberries. Orion likes key lime yogurt, really? Scooter asks for milk sometimes so I give him my lactose free milk. They all like the spider plant I got for them. No cat treats for them, like the dog I don't think the store brands are much good so the only other thing they get is catnip which they adore.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
We've never had such a super-fussy cat as the one we have now. Even as a child, none of our cats were this finicky.

I use only paper plates for his wet food (which he'll only eat in the morning). DH cracks up because I stand around with a popsicle stick (I get a huge box at the craft store) so I can move the food back to the center of the plate while he's eating, as it has a habit of ending up around the rim of the plate.

It's a good thing he's cute.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 AM

369 posts, read 759,513 times
Toby is super picky. There is only one brand of canned food he will eat consistently, and only a few flavors of it. He's less picky about dry food, but if I only put out one kind of dry, he tires of it after a few days and refuses to eat it. As long as I have two kinds out at a time he will keep eating the same two. I plan to stick with the current two for as long as possible - Kirkland Maintenance Cat (decent quality and a great price) and Wellness Core (expensive but the best dry food out there IMO). He also doesn't care much for people food aside from tuna. I can chase him out of the room with a bowl of popcorn. In the right mood he'll want a bit of cheese or cheesy junk food like Cheetos and Doritos, but that's it. He won't eat out of my hand, even with cat treats (the one thing he isn't picky about), I have to put it on the floor before he'll eat it.

My other cat, Neptune, is almost the opposite. He'll eat any cat food. When he sees that I'm eating something, he stops what he's doing to come over and check it out. He'll even come in from outside! He's obsessed with yogurt. Any flavor, as soon as I sit down with it he's in my lap trying to stick his face in the cup or grab the spoon. He also likes cheese, chicken, and drinking the leftover juice from fruit cups. The only thing he's picky about is water. He refuses to drink from a bowl, and when I first brought him home he liked to amuse himself by splashing all the water out of the water bowls. Fortunately it wasn't too hard to get him to stop that after I put a bowl just for him to play with in the sink in the extra bathroom. But he'll only drink from a faucet. As soon as he hears water he comes running and jumps up on the counter. I've learned to live with this but I'm hoping if I get one of those Drinkwell fountains he'll use it instead. There's one at the shelter where I got him and I think he got hooked on it.

Here's Neptune with his obsession. I love this pic

Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Perkins (a "teenager" siamese cat) only eats herbs.

By Tori Guy, Age 14
Where is he getting "taurine" from then? Cats can't live without it. It's only found in meat. It's one of the amino acids cats cannot live without.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jasper only licks the gravy too.

He is very vocal when I am eating, and insists on a taste of everything I am eating. He was so thin when I got him, he looks good now. Maybe some people think cats should be thin? He eats Royal Canin dry food, and gets a can of wet food every day. And he gets a slice of whatever I eat for dinner, usually salmon or tilapia. He was very upset with the rice crispies I had the other night, he did not think that was a suitable dinner.

Man, this cat is more and more like my ex every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats