Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times

Advertisements

I can't blame em...dem squirrels is tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
If he gets outside, you may never see him again. Then you'll really miss him.

A cat could kill a squirrel if he could catch it, but that's a lot to ask.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
I have a feeling this is not going to end well.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
Good luck! Hopefully you can just keep your kitty inside. It really isn't fair to the baby birds and other wildlife the kitty gets to kill for fun (no matter how much they enjoy it), a domesticated cat doesn't have to kill for its food and most generally don't even it what they kill (or play with and accidentally kill).

Old 05-24-2011, 06:21 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
WE are going to be there at the house with him. Its looking like it is going to be about one month total. (We are in between houses/moves.) Our plan would be to keep him inside as much as possible, but he is an escape artist. He popped the screen out and jumped out the window the first day we brought him home from the pound. So realisticlly, he will probably end up outside at some points while we are there. Thought about going the kennel route, but I feel that it might be too long for him and I would miss him.
Im liking the idea of a break away collar with bells. It hadnt even crossed my mind before.
Just work harder at keeping him inside.

I really dislike the idea of bells on a cat's collar. Cats have extremely sensitive hearing and bells will bother that hearing.

Install some feliway diffusers to help with stress and spend a lot of extra time playing with him. The time will pass, and he will survive.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
you there or not...thats not HIS house and cats will try to return to their territory...

keeping him and the squirrels (and the birds who are at an even greater risk) safe is going to be a full time job for you if he gets out...

breakaway collars are pretty much useless, most indoor/outdoor cats go through 5 breakaways a week!
and i agree, bells can dirve a cats hearing crazy and doesnt realy do muhc for the suqirrels untill they learn that the rining of the bell means danger...
also cats can stalk through all but the most sensitive bells...
when cats are just runnign an dplaying the bell will ring, but the moment they enter serious hunting mode, the bell becomes practically useless, the cats movments are so slow and calculated when stalking that by the time the cat pounces and the bell rings its usually too late.

i have nothing against indoor outdoor cats, my female is, shes a mouser and a very good one she hasnt brought home any birds or squirrels thank goodness but takes care of mice and even full grown rats...

but when i move the cats get on lockdown for a minimum of 2 weeks before having outdoor acess because its that inital 2 weeks that are the most dangerous to the cat escaping and never comming back.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
We were planning on having our cat stay at my in-laws for a couple of weeks but I am starting to worry that he might kill the squirrels in thier backyard. Thier squirrels are very special to them and they would be devistated if anything happened to them (one of thier squirrels is still quite young). Our cat has been known to kill birds, mice, and baby bunnies, but never any squirrels. Our other option is to have our cat stay with my parents, but my parents have a cat that does not get along with other cats and will attack. Not sure what to do.

YouTube - ‪cat catches squirrel‬‏

Of course. Cats are optimized to efficiently kill small mammals.

Even an overweight cat who is optimized for ringing a dinner bell may be able to catch a fat, dumb squirrel who eats exclusively from a feeder and is generally treated like royalty.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:24 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,053 times
Our younger cat tries but she usually can't catch them. Personally I hate those furry-tailed rats but if squirrels are important to your friends then you probably shouldn't risk it.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Well, since it seems relevant, can a squirrel kill a cat? Now that's something to think about (;

Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
Or if the cat comes into contact with a rabid squirrel.....I don't it's funny at all that a cat kill small animals unless it is doing it for survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats