U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 PM

327 posts, read 1,019,383 times
Default Can cats kill squirrels?

We were planning on having our cat stay at my in-laws for a couple of weeks but I am starting to worry that he might kill the squirrels in thier backyard. Thier squirrels are very special to them and they would be devistated if anything happened to them (one of thier squirrels is still quite young). Our cat has been known to kill birds, mice, and baby bunnies, but never any squirrels. Our other option is to have our cat stay with my parents, but my parents have a cat that does not get along with other cats and will attack. Not sure what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:21 PM

5,983 posts, read 7,707,970 times
yes cats will kill squirrells, squirels are usually fast enough to escape but if the cat catches one it will kill it and a patient cat can and will catch squirrells...

however...

if your cats are only staying for a couple of weeks i would NOT let them outdoors, cats have a fairly strong territorial instinct and its the first 2 weeks that are the most dangerous for cats after a move because if they get out before theyve "settled in" the house they will try to find their way home...
so your cats would likley dissapear quite quickly if allowed out at a new place...
its just not safe. either have your inlaws keep them as indoor only cats while your away or find a boarding facility.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Status: "Have you hugged your dog today?" (set 14 days ago)

6,068 posts, read 2,526,036 times
yup-what foxy wench said.

but a solution to squirrel killing thing is put a collar with a bell on it on the cat. Squirrels will be warned. Cat will be miffed.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,581,984 times
Cats would catch and kill most small animals (rodents etc.) of that size anyways if they can get them.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM

18,870 posts, read 13,488,400 times
Yep, Baby Squirrel Dinner is a cat feast. In Utah my Grandmother's cat, Boots, he could kill chipmunks, and squirrels. He was "critter control". I guess your family wants them critters in their yard?! Strange.

Anyway, you can take him, and put several bells on his collar. That will help the squirrels get out of the way. Or keep him inside when you go, or only let him out when you are supervising him.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:13 PM

3,456 posts, read 4,441,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
yup-what foxy wench said.

but a solution to squirrel killing thing is put a collar with a bell on it on the cat. Squirrels will be warned. Cat will be miffed.
Cats should only wear breakaway collars, especially when outside. Otherwise, they can get hung up on trees et al. and die from strangulation.

OP: If you put a collar with a bell on the cat, then make sure that it is a breakaway. Unfortunately, cats usually divest themselves of breakaways quite quickly, especially when outside, so I would just make sure that your parents keep the cat indoors, as Foxy suggested.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,938,297 times
Please tell your in-laws, while thanking them for caring for your most cherished kitty, to keep your cat safe inside for the two weeks he will be at their house.

It is not safe to let a cat outside in a strange place. He will be stressed enough being in a strange house. Let outside he will most likely disappear in an effort to find you and his home.

Don't risk the heart break, don't risk his life. If they won't agree to keep him inside, do please hire a pet sitter to come to your home daily (which is best for cats), or board him at a reliable facility.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:40 PM

6,366 posts, read 4,364,024 times
I would be more concerned about him getting lost or killed trying to find his way home than killing the squirrels there. If they can't keep in inside you may be better off boarding him while you're gone.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 PM

24,226 posts, read 28,505,746 times
I wouldn't let my cats out in a strange place, either -- squirrels or no squirrels.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 PM

327 posts, read 1,019,383 times
WE are going to be there at the house with him. Its looking like it is going to be about one month total. (We are in between houses/moves.) Our plan would be to keep him inside as much as possible, but he is an escape artist. He popped the screen out and jumped out the window the first day we brought him home from the pound. So realisticlly, he will probably end up outside at some points while we are there. Thought about going the kennel route, but I feel that it might be too long for him and I would miss him.
Im liking the idea of a break away collar with bells. It hadnt even crossed my mind before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats