Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:06 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,747,236 times

Advertisements

I certainly understand what you mean, but not all poor people are like that. Some don't really have extra money for anything, including TVs. I know many who don't have the money for spaying and neutering. Besides, you have to convince them that helping these animals is worth the sacrifice. Many don't see any reason to care when it seems like 90% of the population and the government do not. Probably more people do care, but they don't really think they can help the animals.

Don't paint all poor people with the same brush. Some really do deserve blame, others do feel generally helpless about the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Don't paint all poor people with the same brush. Some really do deserve blame, others do feel generally helpless about the situation.
I understand that. And some are indeed too poor to even spare a $1 for the welfare of animals. Some are even too poor to help themselves. And it's very sad that anyone in a great Nation like ours has to live that way. A country like ours that gives away billions in Aid to foreign nations.

But when you see what I see in the stores, what's in some (not all) of their shopping carts, it makes a person wonder..........

Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,747,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I understand that. And some are indeed too poor to even spare a $1 for the welfare of animals. Some are even too poor to help themselves. And it's very sad that anyone in a great Nation like ours has to live that way. A country like ours that gives away billions in Aid to foreign nations.

But when you see what I see in the stores, what's in some (not all) of their shopping carts, it makes a person wonder..........
I know. Most of the people I know who say they can't spare money to help strays can't really seem to spare it. I do know the type of people you are talking about, though. I've seen that situation as well.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,198,257 times
Save one animal at a time. Do what you can to help others, I took an elderly person who could not drive, with his cat, to the free cat clinic in our town, to be nuetered. I also go beyond "my scope" when I meet people with pets, I inquire if the pet has been fixed yet, if not, I give out the information about low cost/free clinics in our town. Our city even has a mobile low cost clinic.

I try to educate others on the benefits of fixing pets. And if someone has an "oops" litter, I do what I can to help them place their pups or kits. I see probably 200 people a day in my work, so I make up cards with the person's name, and number, and ask everyone I meet if they want a puppy, or kitten, or know someone who does, and I hand out the card. I recently helped someone who had 8 puppies, I placed 6 of them! In the elevator at work, I asked if anyone wanted a puppy, and by the 10th floor had given out 6 cards.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 747 times
Ahhh my friends are all acting horrified that I call my porch kitty ...porch kitty. So I googled to see if I was being politically insensitive or something. Sooo glad to see this post. She just returned from recuperating post spaying and is lounging in the sun, purring every time she looks my way. Yep, she is one happy little porch kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats