Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:02 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times

Advertisements

Meeko is doing the same basic thing. He'll use the litter box, but when he is mad, (Freddie has dared to use Any litter box in the house, or I won't let him kill Freddie) half way through peeing he'll stand up and pee over the back.

It's too late/early right now to find the link to this really interesting article I read, but the gist is ... he's not being a jerk, he's anxious/nervous.

Since Meeko uses the box, and he's only tried to pee out the front way once, I bought the highest back boxes I could find then placed sturdy, flexible plastic inside around the sides and taped them in from outside the box.

Now he can stand up all he wants, it's a win/win.

Once when he was doing this and I was watching him, I was not getting frustrated with him or saying anything since the issue was solved, he looked at me, I think with relief, and blinked really slowly like cats do to tell you they love you.

I've had him checked medically, but isn't it strange that he always uses the box, but very deliberately pees out of it (sometimes) halfway through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 11:40 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post

I've had him checked medically, but isn't it strange that he always uses the box, but very deliberately pees out of it (sometimes) halfway through?
Use those high side storage totes from Lowe's or Wal*Mart. We have one who stands to pee and she would pee right over the regular litter box sides. Now she pees down the side and it runs right into the litter.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Use those high side storage totes from Lowe's or Wal*Mart. We have one who stands to pee and she would pee right over the regular litter box sides. Now she pees down the side and it runs right into the litter.
I had a post, thanking you for the idea, written one night, then my battery died.

What are the dimensions of the ones you're using? Since there is no lower "entrance" is that a problem.

The ones I have now are Amazon.com: PETCO Mega Rectangular Litter Box: Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.com/PETCO-Mega-Rectangular-Litter-Box/dp/B001VJ0CMK - broken link) and they are still inches too short. He hikes his butt up higher than normal, adding extra height and range to his "overflow"

It's 10" high.

What do you think of this one, just curious since it's so different.
Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox - Enclosed Litter Box and Cat Litter Box from petco.com

Old 01-24-2012, 01:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
This thread was started back in June... 8 months ago? I wonder if the OP ever solved the issue.

We moved into an apartment once where a previous tenent had a dog. The cat began to pee in a corner and ruin the carpet in that corner. We could only figure that perhaps the dog had peed or left its smell in that corner and the cat was trying to cover up the smell from the dog.

We had a carpet guy come out who had dealt quite a bit with cat urine. He removed the area of carpeting all the way down to the floor. Cleaned the floor with industrial strength cleaner. Let it completely dry. Primed the area with three coast of primer (!!!)... then put back the plastic, carpet padding, new carpet, etc. The cat never peed in that corner again.

The carpet guy said you have to reprime the area under the carpet/pad/plastic/whatever... or else the cat will keep peeing in that spot. He said in a few really bad cases he had seen, he had to resand the floor before even painting the primer on it... it was that bad. But he kept saying that the paint primer is what really does the trick.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Yea, I was able to resolve the issue for the most part, at least in the den. I need to spend time in the basement, tho. I'm not sure if the smell down there is old or current. We kept the rock walls wrapped in plastic since he was peeing in the plastic. I then let him outside. He was always an indoor cat. He started spraying all over the place outside. He must have sensed animals out there I guess. Now, everyday, he goes to the door and scratches. I let him out whenever he wants. This really did the trick.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I then let him outside. He was always an indoor cat. He started spraying all over the place outside. He must have sensed animals out there I guess. Now, everyday, he goes to the door and scratches. I let him out whenever he wants. This really did the trick.
Be careful. I mentioned this in another cat thread... but we once had a neighbor who let her cat go outside and he sprayed everywhere - especially people's front doors. He also sprayed the tires on people's cars. Anyway, the neighbors all got together and called animal control, because they were tired of the cat spraying everywhere and when we tried talking to the owner she said it was our problem, not hers, even though it was her cat making the stink and we also have an HOA that states that cats must be kept indoors.

Animal control came and took the cat. We never saw it again. The neighbor lady didn't even seem to care!

Anyway - you might want to watch out to see if your cat is spraying on other people's property or things. Or even be a good neighbor and ask your neighbors about it, and let them know that if there's a problem to let you know about it. That way they know you're a kind and considerate neighbor and not some kind of horrible neglectful pet owner type person. The worse thing would be if one of your neighbors took it upon themselves to take care of your cat's bad behavior, in a not very humane way. Recently in our city we had a (horrible) man behead a cat and hang the head of the cat over the fence of the owner. The cat kept pooping in his garden.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Be careful. I mentioned this in another cat thread... but we once had a neighbor who let her cat go outside and he sprayed everywhere - especially people's front doors. He also sprayed the tires on people's cars. Anyway, the neighbors all got together and called animal control, because they were tired of the cat spraying everywhere and when we tried talking to the owner she said it was our problem, not hers, even though it was her cat making the stink and we also have an HOA that states that cats must be kept indoors.

Animal control came and took the cat. We never saw it again. The neighbor lady didn't even seem to care!

Anyway - you might want to watch out to see if your cat is spraying on other people's property or things. Or even be a good neighbor and ask your neighbors about it, and let them know that if there's a problem to let you know about it. That way they know you're a kind and considerate neighbor and not some kind of horrible neglectful pet owner type person. The worse thing would be if one of your neighbors took it upon themselves to take care of your cat's bad behavior, in a not very humane way. Recently in our city we had a (horrible) man behead a cat and hang the head of the cat over the fence of the owner. The cat kept pooping in his garden.
I have watched him. Fortunately, we only have one neighbor on one side of the property and they have a dog who doesn't let Zeno over there as far as I can tell.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 275 times
Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents.
​
Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.
​
As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home! A herbal mixture of sorts! I now recommend it to everyone because it works so freakin' well and we save SOO much money!
​
You should definitely check it out, we don't even buy Odorban and the likes any longer
​
What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and for a decent price as well.
​
Registered an account only to say this:
​
One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.
​
My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.
He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore
​
To be honest, I don't know too much more about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a description of the spray with a long review as well: [url]www.nomorecatpee.com[/url]

No I have not been paid for this post nor do I make any commissions off of it. I really just want to help you guys out. I hope you don't mind.
​
I'm based in Sweden, by the way, so you should be able to get it too.
​
Good luck with the odor! It really lowers your quality of life, doesn't it?

Old 12-10-2019, 02:46 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Mine started that when he was dx w/ Diabetes. It stopped when his sugars were controlled w/ long acting insulin and diet.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:17 PM

481 posts, read 427,497 times
When it comes to enzyme cleaners I gave up on Nature's Miracle. Switching to "Rocco & Roxie" enzyme cleaner made a huge difference with the smell and with the cat's recidivism. After treating I also sprayed Angry Orange, but ONLY on surfaces where the cat wouldn't get into it before it dried, because orange oil is toxic to cats (for instance, I sprayed it on the couch, but then I put a covering over the sprayed area.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats