Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:10 PM

180 posts, read 700,890 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move and most likely it may have to be to an apartment that does not have central air conditioning (but will have window units). The housing stock in my city is a lot of older converted Victorians and other buildings that were never outfitted. I have two kitties, and while they are in excellent health, they are also ten years old and I'm concerned about how they would fare in summers.

Was wondering who out there may not have central air and what you do to keep the kitties cool in the summers, especially if you have to leave for the better part of the day to go to work or wherever. (Oscillating fan, putting ice cubes in the water are obvious things.) Window units aren't a good idea to leave on, or so I understand...

I may not end up having to move (I sort of hope not), but I'll have to decide by the end of this month, and the needs of the kitties will factor into some of the decisions I'll make. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by docindigo76; 06-04-2011 at 11:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I don't know where you live, but if the summer is anything like it is here, leaving the window units on is absolutely necessary. Why isn't it a good idea?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't know where you live, but if the summer is anything like it is here, leaving the window units on is absolutely necessary. Why isn't it a good idea?
Danger of the unit overheating is what I'd be concerned about--it will be absolutely necessary to have cool air I know. Winters here are cold as hell and then we get the other extreme in summer with the humidity too! (Can't win...)

Last edited by docindigo76; 06-04-2011 at 11:49 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 12:00 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
get a higher capacity a/c unit and leave it on low. Overheating occurs when you have a small a/c and have to have it running like heck to keep the place cool.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:46 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
I live in a home that does not have central air.

For many, many years I left a window air conditioner running while I was at work for my dogs and cats......never had a problem.

Also, I would use an appliance rated timer to turn it off when applicable. I worked 3:30pm to midnight.....many times, depending on the weather, I would have the air conditioner timed to turn off around 8, 9, 10pm....when it really didn't need to be running.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Better to leave it on, actually. Leave it at a set temp and it should cycle on and off anyway as long as the capacity is enough to cool the place to that temp. Even if the blower stays on, the compressor (which is the big energy drain) should be cycling on and off.

The cats should be perfectly fine as long as you can cool the place (or at least part of it) to 77ish. Just my experience; I generally have the central set in here to 77, maybe 76 when we're home. I can't tell for certain but it seems sometimes like Amber doesn't much care to have the ceiling fans blowing right on her. She tolerates it for a while. But there may be other reasons she is moving out of its path that have nothing to do with the air blowing.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:32 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
My window unit has a setting called "energy saver". When the thermostat reaches the set temperature, the ac shuts off until the temp rises again.

I know how you feel, I was nervous too at first, leaving the thing running when I wasn't home.

Just make sure you have a new a/c with the on/off type settings, or even timers. Mine also has a timer, I can set it to not even start up until a certain time of day, though I have never used that option, because it means keeping the house shut up even when the ac isn't running.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Thank you everyone for the advice so far. It puts my mind at more ease. We can choose what units to bring as we have to purchase them ourselves. If I have to move, I hope it would only be for a short-term, but hot weather can sometimes linger here well into the fall (or sometimes not!). I also wouldn't have to leave my current place until the weather starts to turn a little cooler, but would still want the best unit.

I'm comfy, and so are the kitties, in my place now at 78, rarely do I have to scooch the thermostat any lower or I'm too cold.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
I have a Friedrich QuietMaster A/C I keep on in the bedroom. This A/C has an automatic temp control. I just put one dial on "Sleep" and the other dial at the lowest part that controls how cold I want it. This one is much quieter and works a lot better than the one in the living room.

I also have another A/C in my living room, a Frigidaire, and that also has an automatic temp control. I just press the button to the temp I want it on and it goes on and off all day to keep it at that control temp. setting I choose for them. This one is much louder but then it's also bigger due to the square footage it has to cool off.

If I were moving I would ask the landlord to allow me to put in my own A/C units and keep the landlords in a closet somewhere to put back in when I move out. If the landlord says no then I say no to renting to them and let them chance getting someone who won't pay the rent on time every month, keep the apt. nice and clean. My Furry Babies always come first.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Guess what! Cats existed in the Southern States long before A/C was invented. And that meant temps 100 and above.

The NORMAL body temperature of a cat is 101 degrees. That means that he/she won't feel the heat as soon as your do. Fur also acts as an insulator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats